Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where to buy Timing Shims?

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57481

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
  • Thank you received: 24
I saw in the Kickstarter comments some people reporting that they could get more timing shims from hardware stores. I went to 2 different hardware stores yesterday and they said they didn't carry anything like them. Anyone have any idea where you can get more and what they are called?
Sabers owned:
  1. Non-SF Hilt-only ANH Luke
  2. Kickstarter ASP (Champion)
  3. Venom (Champion) [Wife's]
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57482

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 203
If you've got some measurements, tcss has some in 2 sizes

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57485

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 759
TCSS won't have any that fit. MHSV1 Size 2 is the closest, but a hair too small. Washers need a 32mm (1.26") ID to fit over the standard SF thread.

EDIT: Had a set of TCSS shims to test, and my ASP hilt finally arrived. Can confirm the MHS shims do indeed *just* fit over the threads. Most ASP hilts can be fine tuned with one shim and a bit of sanding of the female threaded piece.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Kouri.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57523

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
I sent an e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as well, I'll report back with what they say.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfn92

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57591

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 549
What about people that don't need, or use all of theirs. Thoughts from any ASP backers?

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57597

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 110
I received my saber today and no clocking shims were included. Sent a email to saberforge and see what they say but will be watching this thread.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57663

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 759
Got a tracking number on my IGG hilt. Push comes to shove, I'll just machine some extra shims.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57668

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Although it will void the SF warranty there's always this option too:

Personally this is the way I'm going since the only warranty issues I've had with SF are with defective wiring (which I'm doing myself now). The vast majority of my hilts are for collecting purposes and not for dueling so I won't be stressing the threading. I'm not a big fan of the shims so I'm willing to "go rogue" to get the look I want.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by h2soy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: XIII

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57670

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
One of my secondary goals when I was designing my ASP hilt was to minimize the number of things that could go "wrong" with it (the primary ones being unheaded grip and a "balanced" look between the emitter and pommel). Basically I stuck (mostly) with parts I was familiar with, and besides maybe the switch section my hilt doesn't need the parts to line up any particular way (because I knew I'd never be able to get it perfect).

And Broll I've heard them called clocking washers.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57672

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
One of my secondary goals when I was designing my ASP hilt was to minimize the number of things that could go "wrong" with it (the primary ones being unheaded grip and a "balanced" look between the emitter and pommel). Basically I stuck (mostly) with parts I was familiar with, and besides maybe the switch section my hilt doesn't need the parts to line up any particular way (because I knew I'd never be able to get it perfect).
Way to think ahead.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57758

• Broll
  • Premium Member
Here's the response I got from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. :
Hello! Unfortunately, we are only able to provide the shims that come with your order. If you are having a hard time finding the right size at your local hardware store, you can also try your local hobby store.

May the Forge be with you!
Melissa

:huh: Not terribly useful....

I followed up with this:
Can you tell me the dimensions, name, where you guys order them from, anything?

See if I get something useful.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57763

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
Wow, I've chose to BITE MY TOUNGE, and edit my comments. Emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. NOW. :sick:

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57962

• Broll
  • Premium Member
Got a second reply back, this one seems more useful, though I have no idea how to get a hold of a gunsmith.
Hello!

We send out an assortment of sizes, 1ea at .5, .05, .1 and .3, you can try a local gunsmith as these are commonly used to adjust clocking for firearms. If you are still having trouble please let us know what your shipping address is and we can send you another set.

May the Forge be with you!
India

So I'm guessing the size they refer to is thickness, I thought they were all the same, I was really looking for diameter though.

I sure hope at some point they sell these on their website, this seems like a huge hassle tracking these down.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Broll.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57966

• Broll
  • Premium Member
Googling timing shims with firearms also I'm finding better results.

For example:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/549311877

In order to get the correct ones I need to know the outer and inner diameters but I suppose I can measure those myself. I'll do that tonight and order some and let people know how it turns out.

Also I find it really interesting that shims they provide are different thickness. To the naked eye they look identical and I see no markings on them anywhere to indicate which is which thickness, which kinda makes it hard to really determine...

The adventure continues.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57979

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
Kouri wrote:
TCSS won't have any that fit. MHSV1 Size 2 is the closest, but a hair too small. Washers need a 32mm (1.26") ID to fit over the standard SF thread.

You'll need that ID on the shims. On mine I need 38mm (1.5") OD.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57992

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
A few day ago I emailed This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. CSR and got a reply stating they were temporarily out of stock, but have resolved the problem. So if you were an ASP backer and didn't receive them, send an email, and they will get you what your due.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57993

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
I've sent 2 emails about not receiving any and have not got a reply yet. Maybe I might get some now.
:)
I took mine to work used some feeler gauges to see how thick of shims I need. I might just have the shop laser some out of brass and weather them. Then change over to a brass covertech knob and brass thumb screw for the blade retention screw.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57994

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
jonnys95s10 I like your idea of timing shims out of brass. May offer a unique look. What finish and part did you get. So many post I've forgotten what your hilt looks like.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57996

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
All mine are in the weathered finish with a green blade. Here's my saber as is until I get the shims.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by jonnys95s10.

Where to buy Timing Shims? 1 year 7 months ago #57997

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
I really favor the scalloped emitters over the flat top style. I like the design of the Vengeance emitter and how it has slots cut in it for shine thru. I really hope you go through the trouble of manufacturing the brass shims. Absolutely awesome idea.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Customer Service? (3 Posts)
    • Make sure to check your SPAM folder, in case the reply ended up there by mistake.
    • Customer Service? (3 Posts)
    • If it's been a week, I'd definitely send another one. That's beyond their normal reply time, even...
    • Please make this saber!!!... (8 Posts)
    • Yea just the promo art the whole saber lights up but in the game it looks just like the aluminum...
    • HAHAHAHAHA... (17 Posts)
    • Remember movies in the '80s where you could have brief nudity and still get a PG rating? Ah, those...
    • Please make this saber!!!... (8 Posts)
    • Pretty sure the hilt only lights up in the concept art - the actual game model's the standard metal...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6399
  • Latest Member: Thomaspulty
  • Total Posts: 63.6k
  • Total Topics: 5383
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 35
  • Yesterday Answer: 40