Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time

ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time 3 months 6 days ago #62222

• KPax10
  • Thank you received: 12
Hey guys - need your insight and assistance. I can't seem to find clear information on the following:
(The ASP FAQ has been updated in over 2 months, so...)

I'm interested in a particular Saber (Katana), which is available both on the SaberForge website and as an ASP offering. I'm interested in the ASP mainly due to the fact I can have a custom pommel and switch section. I'm doing a 'Samurai version' of Kylo Ren - so this look is important, as well as the turn around time for DragonCon in September (about 8 weeks).

Is there a 'typical' turn around time from placing an ASP order till it ships?
One gentleman stated he had a 6-day turnaround from Pre-Order...
(The SF website order is stating an order is between 8-12 weeks.)

When you place an ASP order, is that considered 'Pre-Order' (that everyone mentions on the IDGG site)?

Are the ASP products put together or are they 'user-assembled'?

Do the ASP versions offer a pommel 'wrap' (i.e. leather, etc.) as the Website does?

The "2x ASP Sabers + Sound & Blade" option appeals to me on the ASP- IDGG site, but then so does the July 4th promotion on the main SF website. I'm just concerned about timing at the moment.

Guide me Obi-wan, you're my only hope...
-= Kylo Pax-Ren =-
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time 3 months 6 days ago #62234

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 493
Well ASP just launched to the public a few weeks ago (everybody else had preordered between 5 months and a year ago during the fundraising campaigns). The goal of ASP is to only sell what parts are in stock (and thus have a quick turnaround) as opposed to on the main site where you order what you want and then wait not only your turn (SF churns out an insane number of sabers a week) but if the parts aren't in stock. The main site also has electronic options that ASP doesn't offer currently.

At the moment ASP is still being sold through IndieGoGo until the website for it is ready. And the turnaround has been fairly quick for those who have ordered through there since the public opening.

ASP sabers arrive with the hilt assembled but the electronics and timing shims separate.

There are hilt parts that have wrap options in ASP (on the body pieces, not pommels). Check out saberparts.com for all available parts.

Be aware though, that Champion ASP electronics currently do not have a recharge port (like main site Champions do) but a removable battery (which I have heard cosplayers prefer since they can swap the battery on the fly). The Sabercore 2.0 boards don't have a deep sleep mode, so without a kill key (which you'd have with a recharge port) the board will still draw power even in standby, so you'll have to remove the battery when not in use for long periods of time otherwise it will drain in a couple days.

The main site wait time might be quickening up now that the Kickstarter and pre launch IndieGoGo preorders are out, but at best you'll be cutting it close and most likely just miss your convention.

Another option is SF's Etsy store, where the goal is also super quick turnarounds with in stock hilts and very limited customization options. There currently isn't a Katana as one of the options (so that doesn't help you now), but you might find something else you'll like.

For your needs (quick and customized), ASP might be the way to go.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by Jaden Korr. Reason: Link fixed
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPax10

ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time 3 months 6 days ago #62235

• golgo13
  • Thank you received: 21
I believe my experience is on the average turn around time for SF but your mileage may very due to popular parts, out of stock parts, more assemble time needed etc.

My warrior tier Redeemer, a thin neck, was ordered on the main site and took a little over 14 weeks to deliver.
My initiate tier ASP Vengeance was ordered the day the new Indiegogo went online and it took around 14 days to deliver. It came screwed together but the parts are not screwed on tight. more just to keep the parts together during shipping. I would put atleast some loctite blue when I'm done messing with the parts. Since it is an empty hilt there is not much to assemble.
My Warrior tier ASP Graflex was ordered the same day as the ASP Vengeance and I'm still in pre-shipping on that, ( pre-shipping is where SF creat a shipping lable for USPS with intent to ship but the package has not been sent to USPS for delievery. For the main site pre-ship means your saber is being assembled. For ASP it may mean they are gathering the parts of your saber for shipping. They may test the electronics to make sure they work, but they may not be. your guess is as good as any of ours) . So the 7-14 days delivery time may not apply for warrior or above tier of sabers.
Can some one who bought just an ASP part, emitter or body tells us how long it took to get the part. Also has anyone with an ASP warrior or above tier saber received their saber?

ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time 3 months 6 days ago #62241

• Magni
  • Thank you received: 6
I'd say buying the ASP is worth is, I ordered a warrior ASP from the new store on June 20th and received my saber on July 5th. It really is a fast turn around time compared to ordering the katana saber on the website.
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by OvrcAHst. Reason: Post Approval

ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time 3 months 1 day ago #62622

• KPax10
Update: Also got this reply recently from SF:

1) Yes ASP would need to be purchased through Indiegogo at this time.

2) For the ASP parts our estimated lead time is 7-14 business days after you order has been confirmed with customer service.

3) You build ASP hilts yourself, they come in pieces and you install the electronics/parts yourself.

If you ordered directly through SaberForge.com we have a 8-12 week lead time, we also have an assortment of completed hilts on Etsy, but these offer little customization. Etsy has a lead time of 3-5 business days.

May the Forge be with you!
India
-= Kylo Pax-Ren =-

ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time 3 months 1 day ago #62626

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 43
i ordered two asp sabers (one of them an asp katana) june 18, 2016 on a saturday night here in australia. i split the order into two separate orders, and received the first pre-shipment confirmation email from sf customer service rep melissa on june 22.

building the saber took 13 or so days, counting weekends, which is inside their 7-14 working day policy.

the above image shows my usps tracking activity. for those in the u.s., your sabers should have arrived between the 8th and the 10th, if ordered on the same date, i'm assuming.

my 2nd saber, the katana, is two days behind. the only reason i can think of is that the first one is a weathered finish (one of sf's stock finishes) and the katana is an all black hilt. other than the finish, all parts are standard asp.

i don"t have ny experience ordering from the website, but judging from the comments i've read, it does take a lot longer. A LOT longer.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 day ago by Gnost-Dural. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, KPax10

ASP vs. SF Stock Ordering & turn around time 3 months 22 hours ago #62758

• KPax10
Just got my Email!!!! SUPER STOKED....
Order made: July 11th

Reply made: July 12th!!!!
"Thank you for your ASP order! Now that your order has been confirmed please allow 7-14 business days for your order to be built and shipped. Your order will ship with USPS tracking number_______________

May the Forge be with you!
Melissa"

So, possibly between July 21st and August 1st (give or take)... Did I mention I'm STOKED!?!?!
{happy dance=on, happy dance=perpetual; non-off-toggle=yes, SoundFont=giggity_1, composure=restore}
-= Kylo Pax-Ren =-
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Acolyte Switch unit remov... (1 Posts)
    • Hi, So I've had an Warrior Acolyte sitting on my side since April, as when it first arrived I went...
    • Rogue One Trailer #2 (7 Posts)
    • Yeah, I really liked it. I've enjoyed the others, but this one was really awesome.
    • Pledge number (51 Posts)
    • Quote: Hello Saber Forge, FYI, you can find your pledge / backer number on Indiegogo by finding your...
    • LED Vs Non-Saberforge sou... (7 Posts)
    • I've used plenty of 12W+ LEDs with NBv3 installs. So far, I've had no issues. Though the manual does...
    • LED Vs Non-Saberforge sou... (7 Posts)
    • NB has a rated limit of 2.5A on the main channel. Technically, the SF 12W+ should be pulling 4A+ on...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4591
  • Latest Member: blaxthos
  • Total Posts: 48.4k
  • Total Topics: 3602
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 27
  • Yesterday Answer: 58