Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch?

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 4 days ago #62377

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 44
I'm looking for a temporary ahesive solution for the dummy switch for my asp hilts. Planning to have either a recharge port or an aux switch in that second switch hole so I'd like something that can be easily removed in the future but strong enough that the dummy switch won't fly out when dueling, or spinning at least.

So, as the subject line says, will hot glue work for my needs? If not, suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 4 days ago #62409

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1406
Hey, Gnost-Dural. A lot of DIY Members swear by Loctite as the product of choice as it's sufficient with bind however can still be removed for Hilt reconfiguring and re-installs. BoostinIX made a reference of if in Wait Begins 4.0 Thread with a suggestion with where to get it from. This also features an easy-to-use application.

Knowing that you're in Australia, if you don't go the route of a single unit buy from Amazon@$4.47USD (approx. $5.91AUD+shipping+conversion fee), Bunning's stock's the stuff as well as any Local Hardware. I picked one up recently from a Local (closer than nearest Bunning's) and it cost a Fiver+some shrapnel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gnost-Dural

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 3 days ago #62446

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 504
If you do plan on having a recharge port or another switch in that hole in the future, you could always put it in now (using the included nut) and just not have it connected to anything.

There are different strengths of LockTite; some can be removed with heat and some can't, and I don't know what strength the LockTite superglue (pictured above) is. I have some (I didn't know there was a difference at the time) but I haven't used it yet.

I could see hot glue working, but I've only ever used it on fabric and plastic, so I don't know how well it adheres to aluminum. Probably would be easy to remove as long as you don't use too much.

If you do go with some kind of adhesive, I'd put the smallest amount possible on in case it is hard to remove.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 3 days ago #62451

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I used this Elmers Craft Glue. Stays clear and sticks good. I stripped my hilt back down to do some lathe work to align it the way I wanted. The hole cover popped out easy and the left over glue peeled off.

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 3 days ago #62461

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
the main reason i asked about hot glue is that this was i found in my wife's craft box. and the possibility of a non-permanent adhesive.

ovrcahst, i did see boostinix's post about the loctite. good to hear it's available at bunnings. i may look into that. i'm just a little apprehensive about using any type of superglue because i might damage the switch section when trying to remove the dummy switch. there's not a lot of wiggle room from what i can tell from pics and videos.

jaden, i was thinking about getting the recharge ports/av switches and screwing them in unwired as you suggested, before i discovered the hot glue. i've seen videos of the stuff being used on the soundboards as insulation and was curious if anyone had tried it for it's adhesive properties for my intended purpose.

another thing i was thinking about was to wire an av switch to the speaker, with the idea of being able to turn the sound off without going through the menu.

jonny, i'll check my local hardware to see if it or something similar is available. then decide from there.

cheers, guys.

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 3 days ago #62466

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 345
"Loctite" or any superglue's key ingredient is Cyanoacrylate. It sets very fast and for our light weight objects in sabers, works extremely well. However, I would assume removing it once it is set is outright near impossible, especially for small items like the faux switch unless you are applying a lot of heat that may damage the hilt and other parts in it.
"I am the Senate"

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 3 days ago #62501

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1406
I don't know what strength the LockTite superglue (pictured above) is
The Strength is SUPER! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BoostinIX

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 3 days ago #62507

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Yes, Hot glue will work! I used it on my dummy switch and was able peel off the glue when I installed a kill port.

Tip: do not put the hot glue on the seam between the dummy switch and body...the switch won't sit flush. Place the dummy switch on the hole and carefully put glue on the backside ensuring you cover both the dummy switch and part of the body.

Hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: spyrl, Gnost-Dural

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 2 days ago #62528

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
RichellM wrote:
Yes, Hot glue will work! I used it on my dummy switch and was able peel off the glue when I installed a kill port.

Tip: do not put the hot glue on the seam between the dummy switch and body...the switch won't sit flush. Place the dummy switch on the hole and carefully put glue on the backside ensuring you cover both the dummy switch and part of the body.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the tip, mate! i'll keep this in mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RichellM

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 1 day ago #62616

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
RichellM wrote:

Hope this helps!

richell, how long did it take fot the hot glue to dry? i need to start practicing with the glue gun.

btw,my hilts are coming anytime soon, with the second hilt two days behind the first shipping-wise.

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 1 day ago #62618

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 504
Depends on the heat of the glue gun. The one I have uses a lower temperature (so I assume the special glue sticks it needs must have a lower melting point) and the glue seems to harden up in a few seconds.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 1 day ago #62632

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Ghost-Dural, just like Jaden Korr said, a few seconds, but, I wait for at least a minute to ensure it's completely hardened.

Will hot glue work on an asp dummy switch? 4 months 1 day ago #62642

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
excellent! thanks, guys.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Broken Power Connector / ... (2 Posts)
    • As long as the recharge port ("power connector") is the only thing damaged, it should be an easy fix...
    • Saberforge Customs Price ... (12 Posts)
    • Quote: I would imagine it depends on the service, or mix of services requested, but if you need details,...
    • SF 12w+ and FOC? (2 Posts)
    • Yes; you'll have to rewire the LED star, but it can be done. I would say that for your deep red...
    • Broken Power Connector / ... (2 Posts)
    • Hello everybody, it's a huge shame - I broke my husband's saber (a Guardian) :( I was vacuuming,...
    • motion and impact sounds ... (12 Posts)
    • i've had the same problem from the 3rd set of electronics i received from sf. the blade effects...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4499
  • Latest Member: TexMurphy
  • Total Posts: 49.3k
  • Total Topics: 3722
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 27