Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP DIY Feasability

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63527

• Omelas
  • "But it was so artistically done..."
  • Thank you received: 14
Hello all,

DIYing the electronics from the ASP Saber shop is about 50$ cheaper than buying the plug and play electronic kits.

However, I have no knowledge of how to wire it, assemble it, if I would need to add resistors, etc.
I have soldered and assembled other electronic components before, so I believe I have the skills to assemble the electronics, just no idea on how to do so.

I know that it just released to the public, so not many people have received and actually assembled the ASP DIY electronics, but for an expert who looked at all the pieces required, do you think that someone in my shoes could pull off a proper DIY electronic assembly (following a tutorial or something like that)? Or should I just suck it up and buy a plug and play?

Thank you :) ,
Omelas
“Mmm. Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing.” ~Grandmaster Yoda
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Solinbeb

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63529

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Looking at the board, the pads are fairly straightforward. Two speaker pads, two switch pads, positive and negative LED pads, and positive and negative battery pads.

For your LED, blue, green, and white dies won't need resistors, but red, red-orange, and amber will. SF doesn't list the foreword voltages of the dies (they're
Cree XQ-Es, and that info can be found online), but a 1Ω 2W resistor should be fine. Though if you don't want to worry about it go ahead and grab a pre wired LED unit. If you want an illuminated switch, you'll need something like the DynaOhm resistor TCSS sells.

The one thing I am unsure about is how the speaker ratings for the board. SF is offering a 2W 8Ω speaker (similar to the TCSS premium) and a 4W 4Ω bass speaker, which is what comes with the ASP plug n' play kits. In the ASP kit, they wire a resistor to the speaker's connection to the board. So I don't know if that's only needed for the 4W speaker or not.

Hopefully SF releases a manual for the Sabercore boards, as well as listing the different die's foreword voltages so people don't have to hunt for it online.

Are you planning on adding a recharge port? If you are, you could always use a wired 3.7v 18650 battery pack from TCSS or Solo's Hold, unless you really want a removable battery.

But back to your question: If you have prior soldering experience, and watch some of the TCSS's YouTube tutorials and/or Shameem's SF Fallen install video, I think you could pull this off.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omelas, HotRod

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63557

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 282
We will be releasing a series of tutorial videos for the DIY and plug and play electronics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Solinbeb, Jaden Korr, Execute66, Omelas, RotundChap, HotRod

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63569

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 637
SFGrandMaster-Phil wrote:
We will be releasing a series of tutorial videos for the DIY and plug and play electronics.

Thank you, sir!

I noticed one item that came with an Indiegogo ASP Switch Section is not listed at www.shopsaberparts.com. That is, the little circular dummy switch. It doesn't appear to be an item that customers can purchase as it is not listed. So will a dummy switch be included with a Switch Section?

In a new order I just placed, I have written in the "Special instructions for seller" to include a dummy switch; just in case. Thank you. :)
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Execute66.

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63698

• Solinbeb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
The price difference really makes me wish I was better at soldering...

Especially where it comes to soldering the recharge plug. Looking at the board (SaberCore 2) I don't see a place marked for it.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Solinbeb.

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63941

• Solinbeb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Looked into finding the connectors to mix a DIY kit in with a plug & play... found them on amazon running anywhere from $1.50 to $6...

Plug and play's starting to look like a better option, for the most part.

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63976

• thorvindr
  • Thank you received: 1
If your not confident in your ability to figure out what goes where, $50 is (imo) a small price to pay, considering both the time and frustration it will save you.

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63978

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
Solinbeb wrote:
Especially where it comes to soldering the recharge plug. Looking at the board (SaberCore 2) I don't see a place marked for it.

The PWR + and - pads are for the battery, and the recharge port goes between the battery and the board. The + PWR pad wire and the positive wire from the battery go to the the same positive tab on the recharge port, and then the - PWR pad wire and the battery negative wire each have their own tabs on the recharge port.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Solinbeb

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63990

• thorvindr
http://saberigniter.com/downloads.aspx

Download the manual. Advice and answers from the forum are great but just RTFM yourself. The more you know, the more helpful your questions will be.

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63992

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
thorvindr wrote:

Download the manual. Advice and answers from the forum are great but just RTFM yourself. The more you know, the more helpful your questions will be.

While that is true, Solinbeb was talking about SF's Sabercore 2.0 board, which doesn't have a manual yet, as SF just started releasing it to the public, not NEC's Spark Color 2.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0

ASP DIY Feasability 1 year 3 months ago #63993

• thorvindr
Jaden Korr wrote:
thorvindr wrote:

While that is true, Solinbeb was talking about SF's Sabercore 2.0 board, which doesn't have a manual yet, as SF just started releasing it to the public, not NEC's Spark Color 2.

My bad. Glad you caught that.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (8 Posts)
    • hard to say if it’s Old Republic era... considering they wholesale wipes it all, claiming it’s...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • Your poll seems to be broken. It's just showing me results. As for the black and chrome Bane, I'd...
    • Episode IX may indeed end the Skywalker saga. Because, remember, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. He's...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • So Brax just leaked a sneak peak at his new amazing chromed Bane Mk2, inscribed with the sith creed:...
    • Quote: It's gotta be Old Republic for Sith and Jedi mass combat. The Skywalker saga is worn out. Maybe even...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5950
  • Latest Member: Jessedaync
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5120
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 24