Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Necessary ASP DIY Electronic Parts

Necessary ASP DIY Electronic Parts 1 year 3 months ago #63528

• Omelas
  • "But it was so artistically done..."
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi all,

Would someone be able to tell me which parts are necessary to buy in order to wire a champion level electronic kit from the ASP Saber Shop?

And also, what is the purpose of a focusing lens and why is it necessary?

Thank you so much,
I really appreciate it

Inexperienced and Unknowledgeable
Omelas
“Mmm. Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing.” ~Grandmaster Yoda
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Necessary ASP DIY Electronic Parts 1 year 3 months ago #63540

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1680
Omelas wrote:
Would someone be able to tell me which parts are necessary to buy in order to wire a champion level electronic kit from the ASP Saber Shop?
4 Parts: Guts, Will Power, Determination, Patience. :P
For just the LED Module, you'd need: LED, Heatsink, Focusing Lens (*in addition to wires, solder, solder kit etc.), Battery Holder, Battery, Charger (depending on setup) SoundBoard, Speaker..
*Materials is a different story as I too am inexperienced.
My basic understanding: A naked Illuminated LED has light flooding/bleeding in multi-directions. The Focusing Lens harnesses the light and channels it with (focused) direction. There may be a more elaborate/technical explanation (or correction) to this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spyrl, Omelas

Necessary ASP DIY Electronic Parts 1 year 3 months ago #63973

• thorvindr
  • Thank you received: 1
Omelas wrote:

It's a lens that focuses the light coming out of the LED. Just like Ovrc said: without a lens, you just have basically (but not technically) a point light source. More than half the light produced DOESN'T naturally flow toward your blade. A flashlight handles that by having an angled, mirrored chamber that bounces most (if not all) of the spilled light back in the direction you want it to go. The way most commercial lightsabers handle it is by putting a collimating lens actually touching the LED dies.

So in the first place, as little light as possible is lost between the die and the lens. Then all the light the lens catches is directed toward your blade.

I guess it's not "necessary," strictly-speaking but the heatsink/housing (if memory serves) holds everything in place by gently squeezing the lens against the LED star. So you could go without one but you'd definitely notice a reduction in the brightness of your blade and you'd have to find another way to keep your LED unit from banging around.
OvrcAHst wrote:
4 Parts: Guts, Will Power, Determination, Patience. :P

5: money. When you buy from SF, you're paying a significant premium for their warranty, the quality of their designs and the convenience of not having to make a custom order with your local CNC shop.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by thorvindr. Reason: Couldn't figure out multi-quote
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omelas

I wanna get best online components? 11 months 3 weeks ago #69409

• Hank
In this era of electronics, finding best online components has been a great challenge. We can't except the best delivery.

Necessary ASP DIY Electronic Parts 11 months 3 weeks ago #69497

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
You will need:
Emitter
Switch section
Body
Pommel
Led
Lens
Heatsink
Soundboard
Momentary switch
Recharge port
18650 battery
28mm speaker
Kill key
Blade (or blade stock, tip, diffusion material)
Wall charger

This assumes you have solder, flux, iron, and soldering experience. If you do not have previous experience with electronics or soldering I would caution you against attempting a totally DIY install.
Last Edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Black and Chrome Bane Mk2... (7 Posts)
    • I want one. Initially, I wanted a weathered one, but not anymore. Must have a chrome one. Thanks...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • George Lucas is an awesome visionary and he created a great franchise. The original film is pure...
    • SaberCore 3 spare parts (4 Posts)
    • From my own experience, to charge yes it seems like any usb cord will work but to use the editor...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey! Let's not forget Qui-Gon and Mace Windu. Those are a couple great characters. Actually, I...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5951
  • Latest Member: Hetsin
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5122
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 25