Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Adding to a Champion level ASP saber.

Adding to a Champion level ASP saber. 1 year 3 months ago #63606

• Mourngrym
Hello, everyone. I have a Champion level ASP saber that I ordered via the KickStarter launch, and absolutely love it. I am, however, considering replacing the normal momentary switch with one of the lighted switches, and wanting to add a recharge port. I'm curious if anyone has done this, and how to go about it. I have plenty of experience with soldering and electronic assembly, but am not sure about the actual layout that would be required. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Adding to a Champion level ASP saber. 1 year 3 months ago #63657

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 87
I'm installing a recharge port in mine as soon as the rest of the parts show up, and plan to post a howto with pictures. Tracking says it should be here this week so I expect to have it posted within a few days.

I also have a lighted AV switch (and some non-lighted low-profile switches) showing up, but I'm leaning toward not wiring up the switch light. I considered it, but the DynaOhm resistors at TCSS are out of stock at the moment and I don't know enough to pick the right regular resistor. Mostly I just want a switch I won't keep bumping by accident.

The recharge port is by far the most important to me, since the SaberCore boards have really high standby current (~200mA) and they keep a chip rather hot all the time when connected to power. So, a kill key would help. And with a charge port I don't have to keep taking the chassis out and risk damaging the internals every time.

Meanwhile, here's the layout from JeffVader's post:

If I opt for the switch light, I'll probably connect it to PWR instead of LED, so I can more easily tell when power is connected.

Edit 2016-07-30: The rest of the parts arrived today and I completed the upgrades (lighted switch, charge port, fake battery adapter). It was a pain, but I took pictures along the way and plan to post a thread with details soon. I really hope I never have to open up this hilt again. I didn't have anywhere near enough room for quick-connect adapters, so it's all hardwired now.
This is not the post you're looking for.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by ToyKeeper.

Adding to a Champion level ASP saber. 1 year 3 months ago #63661

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
TCSS just got more DynaOhm resistors in last night, should you still want one.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Adding to a Champion level ASP saber. 1 year 3 months ago #63663

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 201
I might have to play with one of these boards now that ASP has them available...

Adding to a Champion level ASP saber. 1 year 3 months ago #63668

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Picked some up at LEDSupply as well and had a good experience. I'm looking forward to seeing your tutorial. I've almost completed a Spark Color 2 / Z6 Install in an ASP saber. I'm just waiting on the battery, which TCSS is out of. :-)

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (15 Posts)
    • I second that! I want to see it named correctly, and I want to see it depicted just as it was in...
    • Quote: Maybe Drommund Kaas, and Korriban will be next on the list of planets to be "legitimized"? One can...
    • Maybe Drommund Kaas, and Korriban will be next on the list of planets to be "legitimized"? One can...
    • Thrawn was alive and in the Imperial military during those eras, so it's not like a massive...
    • Saberforge Talon help (4 Posts)
    • The closest thing I've experienced to the sound but no light issue and a saber flat out not wanting...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5950
  • Latest Member: Jessedaync
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5121
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 22
  • Yesterday Answer: 24