Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Weathering on the thin necks?

Weathering on the thin necks? 1 year 3 months ago #63946

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 109
Just a question to whomever can answer it (in the slight chance that somebody might've already gotten in their ASP parts from the ASP Sabershop);

I've been looking at the Shopsaberparts site and slowly deciding on which parts I needed to make my own ASP design and putting them in my cart as such.
Thing is, I really want a thin neck saber (I'm going for a mix between Redeemer/Prodigal Son and a Gladius), but with both the PS and Redeemer I notice something odd - at least I feel it is :P

On the Saberforge site and on Etsy, whenever you order the PS/Redeemer in a weathered version, the brass/copper elements get weathered too - on the ASP site it seems they skip over those parts.
I really want to make a weathered ASP design (to give it that ancient artifact/Old Republic lightsaber feel) combined with the thin neck, but as of now, it feels 'off' when the entire saber is entirely dark and weathered and there's this 'shiny' brass/copper in it.

Long story short (sorry for the detour); my question is if anybody has gotten in the ASP Prodigal Son or Redeemer in weathered and can confirm or deny that the copper/brass parts get weathering or not?
It would really help me a lot with ordering, seeing as I'd hate to make the decision now and get parts that don't mix as well as I'd hope.
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by CrimsonJax88. Reason: Grammar/Spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weathering on the thin necks? 1 year 3 months ago #63955

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
Both the ASP prodigal son emitters I got were unweathered on the copper part.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Borommakot.

Weathering on the thin necks? 1 year 3 months ago #64339

• Darth Khlōros
  • Thank you received: 27
http://tc-10relic.blogspot.com/2009/03/brass-tarnishing-techniques.html?m=1

Hope this helps
I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrimsonJax88

Weathering on the thin necks? 1 year 3 months ago #64344

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 109
Thanks, my wife is luckily very creative (scrapping hobby) and will likely be able to add weathering if necessary, so that link will be very useful indeed ;)

As of now I'm slowly reconsidering of instead of buying the Redeemer emitter, to go for the Prodigal Son. The PS when weathered at least still has the dark copper that makes it fit more with an overal weathered design, whilst the Redeemer would really stand out with the shiny brass.

But, for now I'm first waiting to receive my Reborn and Gladius weathered, before I go over to buying the parts from the site - hopefully by that time the Sinister Prophecy pommel will also be back in weathered option. Right now I'm looking at pommel 7, but I think that might be a bit too dark for the design I have in mind.
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Weathering on the thin necks? 1 year 3 months ago #64349

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
Pretty sure the colored bits on the thin neck are non-reactive anodized aluminum, so traditional brass/copper patina methods be of much use. Your best bet is degreasing the parts and painting the grunge on.

1) Only some dirt/grease in the recessed area:
Just use some black and/or brown acrylics. Slop the paint over the entirety of the thin neck, then wipe away the excess with a paper towel. Paint will be left in the recessed areas you can't easily wipe, simulating years of built-up gunk. Acrylics really don't stick well to non-porous smooth surfaces, so it'll run off anywhere you handle, which is actually fairly accurate for this type of weathering.

2) Streaks all over:
You'll want to use a spray enamel this time. Gloss black for grease, matte brown for dirt. Spray the parts down and let the paint dry. Grab some sort of paint thinner (ask the Misses for some nail polish remover if you've got nothing else), soak a paper towel with it, and work your way radially around the thin neck, like you're trying to work in the weathering rings of a standard lathed finish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrimsonJax88
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (8 Posts)
    • hard to say if it’s Old Republic era... considering they wholesale wipes it all, claiming it’s...
    • SaberCore 3 spare parts (2 Posts)
    • i second this.
    • Saberforge Talon help (1 Posts)
    • Hi, I bought a Talon (Champion Tier) around 6 months ago and I've been very happy with it. However,...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • Your poll seems to be broken. It's just showing me results. As for the black and chrome Bane, I'd...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (8 Posts)
    • Episode IX may indeed end the Skywalker saga. Because, remember, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. He's...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5950
  • Latest Member: Jessedaync
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5121
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 24