Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 10 months 2 weeks ago #64208

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Kouri wrote:
Just a heads up that DynaOhm need more than 3.7v to properly power an accent LED. I mean, if your happy with current brightness, nothing needs changing, but you'll need to use an appropriate resistor to get full brightness on a switch LED.

Kouri, any suggestions on the resistor?

ToyKeeper wrote:
Something I'd really like to see though... is a saber driver which uses Korg's Wavedrum brain to produce its sounds. Basically, use the blade like a big microphone and algorithmically combine that mic with saber font sounds to produce realtime audio based entirely on what you're doing. I tried a proof-of-concept by connecting my wavedrum mini's clip mic to a blade and it works pretty well aside from being mostly unable to hear wind whooshing during a swing. It'd probably need an air hole to hear that, or use an accelerometer as an extra input like the drum itself does with a pressure sensor. Still, it worked pretty nicely and produced different sounds depending on what I hit and how hard and it also responded nicely to things like dragging the blade across carpet. It was far more responsive than any accelerometer-based saber I've seen.

Toykkeeper, that's a great idea! I wonder if you can partner with either Naigon Electronics or Plecter Labs to do this.

ic3cold, thanks for the well made diagram! I hadn't realised Visio was still around. I remember using a very early version nearly 20 years ago! Great job!
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Gnost-Dural.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 10 months 2 weeks ago #64232

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 85
ic3cold wrote:
Thanks ToyKeeper. I'm a bit of a noob myself on saber wiring and was looking for something visual to help me with some mods I'm looking to do on my own in the near future :) I made my own diagram based on what you wrote. Would you mind taking a look to confirm it's okay?
I think it's probably correct... though I didn't have the quick connects and I connected the BAT+ parts on the driver instead of floating out near the charge port. Some parts are still unmodified from the ASP electronics kit. Here's a diagram of what I actually did (except I still had a quick connect on the LED wires):

BTW, the charge port's two minus poles are not the same. The middle one is switched, while the outer one is not. So if you swap the poles it would then disconnect the battery instead of the driver... and if you tried to charge it, you'd likely fry the driver. This pic shows the correct connections.

There's no way I'd be able to get it to fit with six quick connects crammed inside. My hilt isn't big enough for that. There should be room in a longer hilt though.
This is not the post you're looking for.
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by ToyKeeper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonnys95s10, ic3cold

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 10 months 3 days ago #65360

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 85
Kouri wrote:
Just a heads up that DynaOhm need more than 3.7v to properly power an accent LED.
I've been trying to drain the battery since you mentioned this, to find out what voltage the switch LED might start having issues. So far it's down to 3.49V and still working fine, but I have an event tomorrow and need to charge up again.

It actually takes a while to drain a cell now that it doesn't have the crazy-high standby power. Also, as voltage gets low the amperage drops quite a bit too so it seems to drain slower and slower over time. Normal consequence of direct-driving the emitters (ish), I suppose.

If I get any interesting results in the future I'll update this comment. So far, the only interesting thing is that my charge port sometimes doesn't make full contact and everything gets dimmer until I gently nudge the parts back into proper contact. I probably need to clean out some nylon dust or something.
This is not the post you're looking for.

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 8 months 3 weeks ago #67517

• Blorb
  • Thank you received: 6
There now is a plug n play lighted switch on shopsaberparts. Is the resistor in it already? In other words, is it compatible with the preorder(older) plug and play kit?

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 8 months 2 weeks ago #67711

• Solinbeb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Likely a silly question, but on the lighted switch, which should be which?

two silver connectors, two gold...
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Solinbeb.

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 6 months 5 days ago #70212

• GuillaumeD
  • Thank you received: 1
Can someone pin this thread? it's super useful.

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 2 months 2 hours ago #74814

• Starkiller85
Hey There,

I have a question.
I do everything exacly like in the Diagram you show up here, but now i have the problem that when i charge it with my charger in the recharge port, the saber is still on and it dose not charge.
It is cahrging just a little bit to run a few seconds, and i dont want to put out the batterie everytime to charge it. can you tell me something about my problem?
I pull the Kill Key, Sound "Sabercore Veridium", next i put the Charger In "Sabercore Veridium" and then... nothing happens...

Thanks for your help.

Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Brax.

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 1 month 4 weeks ago #74898

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Does the switch do light up in both charging and kill key/charger removed positions?

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 1 month 4 weeks ago #74909

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 177
Typically, if the kill key works as expected, but plugging in the charger reboots the saber/gives you power when "charging" means you have the recharge port flipped around. Swap the negatives. (Right now, the "Open" connection is the battery, charger is connecting straight to the board. Flip them, and the battery will get power while disconnecting the board.)

mod: add charge port and lighted switch to ASP 1 month 2 weeks ago #75244

• Starkiller85
The Kill Key works like it should, but when i put the Charger in the Soundboard Boots new. And tthen nothing happening.

BoostiniX: Is it possible to make a new working Circuit Plan for me?
Because my skills are not good enough to exaclt understand what you mean ( Noob in this stuff)
Thank you all so much for your help.
THX
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5257
  • Latest Member: Jwon15
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4686
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119