Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP Empty Build

ASP Empty Build 3 months 5 days ago #64189

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Hey Guys, I am thinking about putting my gift certificate to good use with an ASP purchase from the new site. But before I do I had a couple questions you guys might be able to answer. First, when you purchase from the shopsaberparts.com site, do you get timing shims with it or is that a separate purchase? I saw that they have that as a separate item but wasn't sure if that was for extra shims. Second, I want a thin neck emitter (weathered Redeemer emitter), does that come with the C-ring clip for the LED and film for the neck? Third, I was going to make my own LED but is it better to purchase a SF LED for the thin neck because the dies are closer together for the thin-neck? Anyone put their own LED in a thin neck yet? Which would be brighter? I was going to use a tri-cree xp-e2 RGB. And finally, I'm guessing I have to purchase my own covertech knob. Is there a notch on the bodies/pommel for where it's supposed to go? Ok I think that's everything. I figured one way or another I'll figure out the answers to these but I'm hoping some may get answered here. Thanks a lot everyone.

EDIT: Sorry this was in the wrong section. Just moved it to ASP instead of designs.
- Light em up

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RichellM

ASP Empty Build 3 months 5 days ago #64193

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
You have a lot of good questions...thank you, I'll be following this thread for the answers.

I can help you with one question: The bodies include the cover tech knob. On the site, it's stated in the comments of each body part.

If you don't get answers here, an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with these questions. I might do the same. Is it OK if I can copy and paste your questions?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

ASP Empty Build 3 months 5 days ago #64194

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1404
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
I had a couple questions you guys might be able to answer. First, when you purchase from the shopsaberparts.com site, do you get timing shims with it or is that a separate purchase? I saw that they have that as a separate item but wasn't sure if that was for extra shims.
The inclusion of Timing Shims was a Bonus when ordered via KS/IGG (First Launch and for those that successfully received them) All Saber Parts Ordered now via shopsaberparts is just for the selected Parts. The Shims will need to be selected as an additional item as the packet contents are greater than what was included.
Second, I want a thin neck emitter (weathered Redeemer emitter), does that come with the C-ring clip for the LED and film for the neck?
C-Ring Clip is not a standard inclusion. The Mylar Film is (although with oversight it wasn't included with Posts made by HotRod and Borom). The Led Module has a threaded top to enable (secondary) use with Thin Neck Emitters where the threads on the actual base of the Thin Neck extend past the female threads of the Adaptor and secure against the LED Module. Referencing HotRod and his Post here.
Third, I was going to make my own LED but is it better to purchase a SF LED for the thin neck because the dies are closer together for the thin-neck? Anyone put their own LED in a thin neck yet? Which would be brighter? I was going to use a tri-cree xp-e2 RGB.
This I can't accurately answer as brightness is subjective. Some technical specs were referenced by Kouri about the LED and Lens used here. If die placement is more spread on a Cree RGB but has a smaller focusing degree through the lens versus close-set dies on SFs Quad Cree but focused through a slightly greater degree lens but has additional Mylar to channel, it may be much of a likeness. Since the LEDs are QCs, maybe an option to alternate between the two to determine how greater the brightness really is with a Tri Cree RGB versus a Quad Cree RGBA(W)?
And finally, I'm guessing I have to purchase my own covertech knob. Is there a notch on the bodies/pommel for where it's supposed to go? Ok I think that's everything. I figured one way or another I'll figure out the answers to these but I'm hoping some may get answered here. Thanks a lot everyone.
Yep. What RichellM wrote. The included Covertech Finish will be closest matched to the respective Part Finish selected and have the pre-drilled hole and the socket head screw. Additional Covertechs are available if you're wanting different finished ones or spares.
EDIT: Sorry this was in the wrong section. Just moved it to ASP instead of designs.
PM a Mod next time you identify this and a move can be done without you having to delete 1Post and retype (or copy/paste) into another. ;)

EDIT:
Hey Guys, I am thinking about putting my gift certificate to good use with an ASP purchase from the new site.
I'd suggest you verify a conclusive answer from SFCS first before actually checking-out and concluding the Order. Solinbeb here, had an interesting Report. Whilst I kinda know you have your GC already, my interpretation of what was written is that the GC is not recognised as a valid entry and that shopsaberparts payment processing system (similar to Etsy/lazerforge) only recognises Coupon Codes.
GC redemption usually requires photo evidence to be sent in to SFCS for validation before a Refund is performed. An exception to Solinbeb is the GC wasn't received yet.
But I could be completely wrong and the redemption procedure has changed. :lol:
Last Edit: 3 months 5 days ago by OvrcAHst.

ASP Empty Build 3 months 5 days ago #64226

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
I wonder if I contacted SFCS and asked if I could just purchase one of their thin neck ASP heat sinks, would they let me? This way I could make my own LED and use their threaded heat sink for the thin neck. And while I'm at it, I'll ask about the gift certificate and how to use it. Thanks for the help RichellM and OvrcAHst.
- Light em up

ASP Empty Build 3 months 5 days ago #64228

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 502
All ASP LEDs came with the extra threaded heatsink for that purpose, regardless of the size of the saber neck.

However, the al a carte heatsink on the ASP site looks to be the regular/older one. I'd email and ask which one the listing refers to, and if either type can be specified. I imagine they'd sell it to you; otherwise how else would someone DIY a thin neck saber using only their parts, considering the site says they've: "lowered the barrier to entry, so now you don’t need expensive machinery, soldering equipment, or years of prop building experience to make your very own custom saber. All you need is your imagination and Adaptive Saber Parts."

You could do the c-clip setup like with their regular installs, or drill and tap a retention screw hole yourself, but I'd consider the latter option to fall under "prop building experience" and "expensive machinery" (as a drill press or even a quality cordless drill that's up to the task aren't exactly cheap).

EDIT: as for the gift certificate, I'd ask that in the same email (in case the procedure has changed), but before you would email CS after your purchase with a picture of your gift certificates and the order info from which they came.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Last Edit: 3 months 5 days ago by Jaden Korr.

ASP Empty Build 3 months 5 days ago #64250

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1404
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
I wonder if I contacted SFCS and asked if I could just purchase one of their thin neck ASP heat sinks, would they let me? This way I could make my own LED and use their threaded heat sink for the thin neck.
Interestingly, in continuation to what Jaden Korr writes, I wonder if when a DIY Heatsink is purchased (to assemble your own configured LED Module) SF either do include a C-Clip (much like the faux button on Switch Sections) or pre-tap a retention hole?

On the Site, the PnP LED is pictured as brushed aluminium with a threaded Cap where the DIY-type (anodised black) is pictured without. Would an Order Comment in addition to selected DIY-type for a threaded Cap return just a silver Heatsink only (PnP-type without focusing lens and LED) or an anodised black one but with threads? :huh:

I want to say I've seen an anodised black heatsink with threaded Cap (but caffeine levels are low right now and I can't recall where). The silver with threaded Cap versus the black without may be intentional for easy identifying during Parts picking.

Do Report back mate when you receive a reply from SFCS as multiple emails sent in asking the same thing exemplifies why SFCS replies average 3-5Days. :)

ASP Empty Build 3 months 4 days ago #64304

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
Thanks for the side by side comparison. I saw these on the ASP website after my last post. So at least I know they are selling the heat sinks but I need to find out which one I would be purchasing (the one with the ASP threaded top or not). Once I get an answer from SFCS, I'll let you guys know for anyone else that's interested.
- Light em up

The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

ASP Empty Build 3 months 4 days ago #64307

• golgo13
  • Thank you received: 21
Remember what is pictured on the web site may not be an accurate representation of the product you will receive. Case in point, the covertech belt system is still the old model, push button, and not the new system with the covertect and the d ring clip. I'd write customer service and see what they say

ASP Empty Build 3 months 2 days ago #64477

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
So I can only speak to my experience here since I just purchased some LED's and some Heat Sinks. This is all from shopsaberparts.com

I purchased an LED and a heat sink and it had a black heat sink and did not have the threads at the top. This did not bother me as it was not for a thin-neck.

I then purchased another, but spoke with customer service first because I needed a custom LED. This time I requested the ASP heat sink in the order notes. it was silver, was threaded at the top, and had a slot in the bottom so you can unscrew it from the thin-neck with a screwdriver. I would show a picture, but it's buried in my Redeemer right now. :-)

Just my experience, gang. Not sure if what I experienced is the norm.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr

ASP Empty Build 3 months 2 days ago #64483

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 502
Thanks for the info! Thats good to know. I may end up buying one of the regular heatsinks for my ASP yellow LED, because ever since I noticed i the lens was crooked when I reassembled it I've been paranoid I still don't have it perfectly level, and with the regular ones I won't have to worry about it.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

ASP Empty Build 3 months 1 day ago #64512

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
HotRod wrote:
So I can only speak to my experience here since I just purchased some LED's and some Heat Sinks. This is all from shopsaberparts.com

I purchased an LED and a heat sink and it had a black heat sink and did not have the threads at the top. This did not bother me as it was not for a thin-neck.

I then purchased another, but spoke with customer service first because I needed a custom LED. This time I requested the ASP heat sink in the order notes. it was silver, was threaded at the top, and had a slot in the bottom so you can unscrew it from the thin-neck with a screwdriver. I would show a picture, but it's buried in my Redeemer right now. :-)

Just my experience, gang. Not sure if what I experienced is the norm.

I thought this might be the case. Did you have to pay anything extra? I'm just waiting to hear back from SFCS and then I can order the ASP heat sink. Thanks Hot Rod for the info.
- Light em up

Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Soundboard shortages (2 Posts)
    • Naigon on Nov 2: Quote: Unfortunately due to an unforeseen issue in securing one part for the board, the...
    • V1 CR Princess SF|Story..... (14 Posts)
    • Quote: Fantastic Princess OvrcAHst! I didn't know there was a crystal version. Nice. This was one of the...
    • V1 CR Princess SF|Story..... (14 Posts)
    • Fantastic Princess OvrcAHst! I didn't know there was a crystal version. Nice. This was one of the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4551
  • Latest Member: DamirDM
  • Total Posts: 49.2k
  • Total Topics: 3707
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 27