Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Weathering on ASP parts

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64589

• Ftumch29
Just got some ASP parts for a saber build and noticed my switch and the emitter body have 2 different colors of weathering.
The Pommel and Body I have are more black weathering and the Switch and Emitter are of a bluish weathering, with the shroud of the Emitter being bluish.

Anyone else notice this with their parts?
Is there a way I can (I dunno, for lack of a better term) re-weather the bluish parts to a black weathering?
(I`ll try and upload a picture later)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64595

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Every weathered/standard finish hilt begins its' life w/anodizing over back paint. Depending on the chemical reaction between the paint and the anodizing and the degree of weathering some weathered parts turn out with a slight metallic blue sheen. You can ask This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to swap out the parts of you but they may not since mechanically there's no problem with the parts. To my knowledge there's no way to DIY it yourself over than to strip the weathering off completely and then reply it.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64658

• Ftumch29
Ah, had no idea that the parts were anodized first before weathering. Still though, I would have thought the process to have the same coloring effect on each piece.
It would actually be pretty cool if Saberforge could offer different color weathering such as a bronze color :)

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64681

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1362
When their custom shop opens again, I am sure they will offer the wide range of powder coated finishes that they had before.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64782

• Ftumch29
Besides other types of colored weathering, I could see paying a few extra bucks to have my parts `hand picked` to insure the coloring/weathering on all parts were the same.
Kind of like some of the custom flashlight makers hand pick their LEDs` for brightness and tint.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64816

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
  • Thank you received: 22
Back to the original topic. I have the same problem. I just got my second ASP saber yesteday and 3 of the 4 parts have black weathering that matches well, the 4th has a blue sheen that looks very out of place. It's very disheartening.

I'll be e-mailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. today. If they say they won't replace the part I will probably try and sell/trade the emitter to get one that actually matches.
Sabers owned:
  1. Non-SF Hilt-only ANH Luke
  2. Kickstarter ASP (Champion)
  3. Venom (Champion) [Wife's]
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64839

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
My guesses are either:

1) The parts were outsourced to different shops for anodizing to get all the black finishes done in time. Different black pigments were used in each shop, and some parts wound up with a really really dark blue that's only noticeably blue on weathered hilts.

2) It was the same place, but the first batch was mistakenly dipped in blue, then re-dipped in black. The inner blue layer only comes through when the black is sanded away on a weathered component.

Colored anodizing is basically a two-part process. The aluminum's treated to turn the surface metal into a thin, clear layer of aluminum oxide. The parts are then dyed (the clear aluminum oxide layer can absorb color - ruby and sapphire are both crystalline forms of aluminum oxide with different impurities giving different colors).

I've got one hilt with a blue-weathered switch that doesn't really match the rest of the saber. It's a bummer, but I figure I'm better off re-painting and re-sanding.

I'm kind of hoping that waiting out a few waves of ASP stock will result in a consistent color for inventory in a few months.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Kouri.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64847

• SnowDog
  • Thank you received: 25
That's kind of a bummer. I've got an ASP hilt coming in tomorrow that is all weathered. I hope there aren't color issues. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 3 months ago #64858

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
I got a nice and quick response, they are letting me RMA the part.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #64915

• Ftumch29
I have no doubt that they`ll let me RMA the 2 parts that came out blue for 2 of the same but black weathered.
Just waiting on a response from their customer service :)
Attachments:
  • ...ue.jpeg (654KB)

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #64942

• Ftumch29
Just received and e-mail that Saberforge is going to RMA the 2 parts that are blue.
Have to wait till Monday since they`re not open on weekends though.
Totally cool :)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Ftumch29.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #65532

• Ftumch29
Just figured I`d follow up on my post. Customer service gave me an RMA for returning my 2 blue parts. Unfortunately Saberforge`s stock of the 2 parts that I`ve sent back are all blue as well :(
So now I have to pick 2 different parts.
The switch is no problem but the emitter is getting me down as changing my emitter would mean I could have gone with a different ASP design than the one I already received. Total bummer :(
A few ways I see it...
Order a different emitter :(
Order my original emitter in black and try to `weather ` it myself (probably not a good idea)
Or wait for stock to replenish and hope the next batch has the proper color weathering.
Seeing as I`m impatient to build my ASP I`m probably going to switch emitters and wait for stock of the original emitter to be replenished and hope the weathering on the next batch is actually black and not blue.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #65550

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
Bummer :(

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #65556

• Broll
  • Premium Member
That's very disheartening Ftumch29. I've sent my emitter back, but haven't heard word since then.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #65603

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 282
Were looking at expanding our shops with on site anodizing services so we can guarantee consistent pigments are used from batch to batch.

We have had the same local shop give us blacks that weather differently which is extremely frustrating and we have decided to move towards in house as a result.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kouri, SuUpberSith, ToyKeeper, Darth Sever

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #65610

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
That'd be cool to see.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #66069

• Broll
  • Premium Member
I just got a tracking number that my emitter is on it's way back.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #66219

• Broll
  • Premium Member
I got my replacement emitter back.

Good news: Blue hue is gone.

Bad news: Weathering still looks vastly different than the other 3 parts making them look bad together.

At this point I've replied to CS asking if it would be possible to get a refund or swap out of all 4 parts for a different non-weathered build. Waiting to see what they say.
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #66220

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
You could always weather down the switch and body yourself if you want it to match the emitter. It's relatively easy and it doesn't void the warranty. I've only gotten one weathered hilt myself and I ended up removing the weathering so it matched a "standard" finish.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by h2soy.

Weathering on ASP parts 1 year 2 months ago #66221

• Broll
  • Premium Member
Relatively easy is relative. I made a mess gluing the fake button on my first ASP :whistle:
Sabers owned:
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Black and Chrome Bane Mk2... (8 Posts)
    • I'd really like to see someone take some black enamel to the inscriptions and engraved lines to make...
    • Black and Chrome Bane Mk2... (8 Posts)
    • I want one. Initially, I wanted a weathered one, but not anymore. Must have a chrome one. Thanks...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • George Lucas is an awesome visionary and he created a great franchise. The original film is pure...
    • SaberCore 3 spare parts (4 Posts)
    • From my own experience, to charge yes it seems like any usb cord will work but to use the editor...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5951
  • Latest Member: Hetsin
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5122
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 13
  • Yesterday Answer: 25