Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP electronics fixed (SaberCore 2 standby fixed)

ASP electronics fixed (SaberCore 2 standby fixed) 1 year 2 months ago #65094

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Hi, just wanted to share some good news. The high-standby-power issue has been fixed on the current ASP electronics kits. I'm calling it a "SaberCore 2.1" driver because it fixed the biggest and most common issue people have been reporting about the SaberCore 2.0 boards.

The short version is: Standby power has been reduced from 200+ mA to about 4.5 mA. This means it'll now take about a month to drain a cell instead of a day, and there should be no more heat-related issues.

Here the new board's power graph with a 3.64V NCR18650B cell. I was too impatient to charge the battery before testing, but the blade-on power would be much higher with a full cell:

It's now going into sleep mode immediately after the sound and/or blade stops, and it idles at an average of about 4.5mA. So, with an updated driver board it's now safe to leave the battery in while the saber isn't being used, but you should still remove the battery if the saber will be unused for more than a couple weeks.

For reference, here is how the older version behaved. The important part is that the old board never went below 200mA, which is the issue that is now fixed on current drivers. Also, the battery here was at 4.06V (if I recall correctly), so the blade-on power is higher.

This is a pretty major upgrade, especially for ASP owners who have no charge port.
This is not the post you're looking for.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ToyKeeper.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

ASP electronics fixed (SaberCore 2 standby fixed) 1 year 2 months ago #65097

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
That's...very good to know. Nice find!

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

ASP electronics fixed (SaberCore 2 standby fixed) 1 year 2 months ago #65101

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
So to get that feature we need to send the board in to SF, right?

ASP electronics fixed (SaberCore 2 standby fixed) 1 year 2 months ago #65111

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Borommakot wrote:
So to get that feature we need to send the board in to SF, right?
I can't speak for SaberForge, but I would imagine they're probably using the good version in everything currently shipping and they probably RMA any affected drivers which have issues while still under warranty. SF may have had a bad batch or something, but they're pretty good about taking care of customers.

One of my ASP kits got speaker damage from a pommel issue, so I sent the pommel and all-in-one driver/speaker/battery unit in for RMA service. When the parts came back, I noticed the driver no longer got hot so I did some testing and it seems to be a newer upgraded version.

So, if your driver isn't functioning correctly, like if it repeats "Sabercore... Sabercore..." on boot, you should be able to request RMA service and get a better one. If it's not misbehaving though, I doubt it would be eligible.

For any definitive answers, contact customer service directly. I'm just guessing.

Mostly, I wanted to let people know that this oft-reported issue appears to be fixed.
This is not the post you're looking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot

ASP electronics fixed (SaberCore 2 standby fixed) 1 year 2 months ago #65150

• Sith570
  • Thank you received: 5
I would love something to be wrong as an excuse to get the newer board but to be honest really not worth me paying for what it'd cost to send it back and back again

ASP electronics fixed (SaberCore 2 standby fixed) 1 year 2 months ago #65239

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 637
Interesting read! Good to have an in-house Forum expert on the electronics, ToyKeeper! :)
"I am the Senate"
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • Your poll seems to be broken. It's just showing me results. As for the black and chrome Bane, I'd...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (7 Posts)
    • Episode IX may indeed end the Skywalker saga. Because, remember, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. He's...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • So Brax just leaked a sneak peak at his new amazing chromed Bane Mk2, inscribed with the sith creed:...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (7 Posts)
    • Quote: It's gotta be Old Republic for Sith and Jedi mass combat. The Skywalker saga is worn out. Maybe even...
    • A Preview (6 Posts)
    • Quote: Oh my, where is my bib when I need it Re: the bane mk2 Is this a custom shop job? How would one...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5950
  • Latest Member: Jessedaync
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5120
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 9
  • Yesterday Answer: 24