Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Timing Shims Weight

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 3 weeks ago #65493

• mammania
Hi,

Would anyone know what the weight for the timing shims from the ASP website is?

Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 3 weeks ago #65544

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 434
Very, very light. :)

I'm curious, why do you ask?
"I am the Senate"

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 3 weeks ago #65548

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
it's about 3 grams or 0.1 oz. It's 4 grams or 0.14 oz with the small plastic bag they are in.

I'm also curious, why do you ask?

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 2 weeks ago #65742

• mammania
Cool... very light indeed. :lol:

The shims were out of stock when I ordered my ASP saber parts and now I need them for aligning my emitter and body (possible OCD tendencies I guess).

It is hard to justify $25 overseas shipping for a $15 product, so I was researching on other ways to get them when the weight of the shims came up.

Yeah... back of my mind, I reckoned that it should be very light.
But my curiosity was also piqued to find out how much it would really weigh.. (Urghh... the urge to collect information. hehehe... :P )

Anyway, anyone have any good recommendations or suggestions for shim alternatives?

Frankly, I am clueless about the information on the shims.. e.g. 3x .004in (30 degrees per shim). I am guessing that ".004in" would be the thickness, but I am lost on the degrees per shim part. hahaha...

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 2 weeks ago #65756

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 173
For a 30 degree shim, it basically means you need have tighten the threads 30 degrees less than before it is added. That means it corrects the alignment by 1/12 of a rotation in the direction opposite the one you turn to assemble the pieces.
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Snakeeyz99. Reason: language
The following user(s) said Thank You: mammania

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 2 weeks ago #65758

• Neesh Kedoo
  • Thank you received: 14
mammania wrote:
It is hard to justify $25 overseas shipping for a $15 product, so I was researching on other ways to get them when the weight of the shims came up.

Yeah man, I wish I could order blades and other accessories from SF websites, but the shipping costs are an issue if you don't get a full 300 bucks hilt at least...

I would be happy if they open a SF Europe distribution center ;)

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 2 weeks ago #65770

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
  • Thank you received: 20
I find the timing shims a bit of a pain and have started using o-rings for most cases. They are nice because you can generally just put one on and continue to tighten it until it looks right since they're squishy.
ASP Kickstarter Backer!
Sabers owned:
  1. Hilt-only ANH Luke
  2. 1 ASP single blade[Ordered]
  3. Venom standard(Wife's)

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 2 weeks ago #65776

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Broll wrote:
I find the timing shims a bit of a pain and have started using o-rings for most cases. They are nice because you can generally just put one on and continue to tighten it until it looks right since they're squishy.

That's a great idea. Did you just pick these up at a hardware store or possibly on Amazon? I've also been thinking about getting these to speaker installations as well. The timing shims work fine for me, but they tend to "leap" off my hilts when I have to disassemble them.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Timing Shims Weight 6 months 2 weeks ago #65779

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
  • Thank you received: 20
Honestly a friend had them lying around and suggested I try it. There were a little tight to get over threading, but again they stretch so it was no big deal.

This post shows both the o ring I used before I put it on in comparison to the timing shim and how it looks in place:
https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/adaptive-saber-parts/11235-where-to-buy-timing-shims?start=20#59380
ASP Kickstarter Backer!
Sabers owned:
  1. Hilt-only ANH Luke
  2. 1 ASP single blade[Ordered]
  3. Venom standard(Wife's)
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Broll.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod, mammania

Timing Shims Weight 5 months 3 weeks ago #67211

• Eat_Dirt
  • Thank you received: 3
Tried the O-Rings on my Vanquish, because none of the shims I had for it got things QUITE where I needed them to be. Actually doesn't look bad! I think it cost like $2-ish, for a pack of 10 and I went with the 1" size. Requires a bit of strength, but worth it. Sorry, don't have any "before" pictures.

Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Eat_Dirt. Reason: Attachment still not showing properly. Still too big?
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Payment types? (4 Posts)
    • The bottom of the site says they accept American express, Visa, discover, Mastercard, JCB and there...
    • well..........that sucks.
    • Apparently they don't accept Paypal I asked CS a while ago which payment options they accepted. They...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4710
  • Latest Member: TARoberth2C1e
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 32
  • Yesterday Answer: 41