Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt....

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65618

• DarthTtocs
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt and wiring it myself. Id like to start off as a warrior then in time adding sound. Im just not sure what parts Id need to get. Who here does their own and can lend me some knowledge?
The wounded Jedi looks up at the massive man wielding a 6' long light saber! The last words the Jedi hears is "Yes, I am Sith, and oh, so much more"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65620

• SuUpberSith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 101
Thecustomsabershop.com Try their forum, alot of talented people on there
Rev-N Elite VV, Dark Ardent VV
Monarch SF, Reborn SF
Weathered Dark Acolyte VV
Korbanth, Graflex, K4
Tempest Elite VV
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthTtocs

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65626

• ukyavuz
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
DarthTtocs wrote:
Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt and wiring it myself. Id like to start off as a warrior then in time adding sound. Im just not sure what parts Id need to get. Who here does their own and can lend me some knowledge?

If you are going with plug and play route you pretty much need the warrior bundle, led and button (latching one) than battery and recharger for electronic parts but if you are going for plug and play route i suggest getting sound board pack right away (you need monetary button for this) I did the connections and they are very easy I just followed tutorial in here and done in less than 5 minute tops.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ukyavuz.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65630

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Wiring:

You can get the switches cheap from AliExpress. Ebay is an option too but they're marked up a bit. Recharge ports are reasonable on ebay. Batteries can come from TCSS, Solo's Hold, or the SF ASP shop. I would suggest going with presoldered batteries so you don't have to mess around with the wiring. LEDs you can get wired up from the SF shops (etsy, ASP, webshop, etc.) or you can build your own from shops like luxeonstar.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by h2soy.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65643

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
I just purchased an ASP empty and ordered a momentary switch and recharge port with it just in case I do decide to put electronics in. I'd say plan ahead, if you know you will do sound, get a momentary switch, if you aren't sure, or just plan on a stunt version, get a latching switch.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65648

• Khang
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I've ordered an ASP and have installed it with a Prizm and RGB.

I've now installed many lightsabers from stunts to full sound. If you have any questions, send me a line.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthTtocs

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65656

• RichellM
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
From a warrior tier to something with sound, you'll need:

Soundboard
28mm premium or base speaker
momentary switch
Battery holder (you can use the one that came with the warrior tier)
Battery (you can use the one that came with the warrior tier)
Battery charger (you can use the one from the warrior tier or get one for in-hilt charging)
LED module (you can use the one that came with the warrior tier)
resistors (optional if LED module didn't come w/ resistors or if sound board requires it for the LEDs)
micro dean connectors (optional)
recharge port (optional)
kill key (optional)
28 - 24 gauge Wires
Solder
Heat shrink tubing (various sizes)
Velcro strips
Chassis (optional but recommended)
electrical tape or liquid electrical tape
Black hot glue sticks (or clear if you are not particular)

and of course the tools:

Soldering Iron
Wire cutters/stripper
helping hands (optional but recommended)
heat gun or blow dryer
Glue gun

There's plenty of info, instructions and recommendations from the Saber Electronics DIY thread.

If anyone thinks I missed anything, please chime in.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65693

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
I too considered getting an empty ASP hilt until I got to the checkout and shipping alone was $55.
SF can keep their ASP parts if that's what they're charging me for shipping an empty hilt with no blade. Fuck ALL that shit.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by NeBosa.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65695

• Khang
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Where do you live that has shipping that expensive? I got an empty hilt with all sorts of electronics for $20 shipped.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65698

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
I'm in Canada.

To note, I'm not unfamiliar with the process, currency conversions and everything else involved. I have sold and traded multiple hilts over the last 2 years to people in the US, U.K and Australia.

It has never cost me more than $20 when I shipped a hilt to the US.
Even with a blade and using the exact same toblerone SF uses, bubble wrap and all (because I keep theirs to reuse) and I pay $40.

I seriously (with all my logical thought) can't see how it would cost SF $35 more to ship the same item and even still $15 more for that empty ASP than what I would pay to ship and entire toblerone with saber and blade.

By being a business I know they get better costs as a perk for being a registered company and having to ship many items out per week. The postal service knows it's going to continuously be making a profit from them and can afford to give them a lower cost per item due to the amount of packages they send out weekly, in comparison to the costs an average individual receives who only sends the random parcel. They made it a fixed cost where it should be variable.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65700

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
I should also add that an initiate tier Elite saber from the SF main site is $40 to ship and a champion tier with blade costs $65…
why the discrepancy between two different outlets?

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65720

• ukyavuz
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
There can be a couple of reasons.

1) main site is aligned with a different payment company than asp (I think asp was amazon payments not sure about main site but it seems not paypal or amazon) which might cause difference.

2) In here USPS equivalent charges for weight standard and if box is too big or unnatural shaped charges extra I think it is because of how much space box will take in the transport and for international shipments this is actually quiet a problem. Since it is impossible to know what kind of shape your box will be (you might or might not add blades) they are probably just putting biggest box cost for the designated weight.

3) tracking packages always costs more sometimes double sometimes even triple for USPS type postal offices which is why fedex, DHL and some other postal companies are preferred by companies since they provide tracking for less and usually USPS type companies (which are one way or other related with government) usually does not make discounts for companies or the difference is minuscule while private companies have packages which are more tempting.

Mind you these are my own opinions based on my own experience over 15 years of ordering from US and/or europe via different companies and different things.

For your last question about why there is a big difference a hilt and a blade and hilt, the shape of box is important a bladed hilts box is unorthodox and takes more space in transport especially if it is labeled as 'handle with care' and its cost increase because of that most of the time it can go for double or triple despite its weight being same as a normal box.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by ukyavuz.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65724

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
I believe you are talking about Volumeric Pricing. Although all shipping companies calculate price by weight, some also have a minimum price per cubic foot.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #65729

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
I'm well aware of weight and package size adding to a difference in cost. I also know that tracking adds to cost as well. All of which I've made reference to in my statement and all the prices I've noted are tracked packages. I have 17+ yrs of having things shipped to canada from various parts of the world. I only referred to the last 2 years for being strictly saber related products.

I don't think you guys properly read and comprehended what I wrote in my comparisons.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #66428

• PatJW
Agreed on shipping costs.

I configured my own empty hilt for diy install on the ASP site and got stung for $55 for shipping to the UK, bringing the cost for A HILT to $190

To add insult to injury, I just got informed by UK Parcelforce that I have customs charging pending of over $50.

That brings the total cost from ASP to my front door of one empty hilt to $240.

I will not be ordering from ASP again.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #66430

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
I configured my own empty hilt for diy install on the ASP site and got stung for $55 for shipping to the UK, bringing the cost for A HILT to $190

To add insult to injury, I just got informed by UK Parcelforce that I have customs charging pending of over $50.

Yeesh. Makes me glad I live in the contiguous USA. International tariffs and post are ridiculous. Seems to be largely a European thing. When I order stuff from Japan it's not nearly as expensive. The cost of even small packages from the UK raise an eyebrow.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by h2soy.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #66433

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
This happens for me too, as I was looking at an empty hilt from ASP and the costs for shipping is pretty harsh to the Great White North. I'd hate to pay that and the Gods know what for shipping the electronic components at a later time.

As it is the empty hilt is $155 USD without the shimmies to help line things up.

I don't begrudge them the costs of building the parts, but that shipping just stings something fierce. So I'm holding off until I get the money to order everything at once. At least I didn't have to pay Customs one my Venomous Fury.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Zeddicuus.

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #66447

• PatJW
I think the biggest problem facing UK importers is the labelling.

We have to pay tax on the value of the goods, plus the cost of the shipping.

Yeah, we get taxed on what it cost us to send an item :( Even if Saberforge were to be creative with the labelling, i.e a hilt is an, "aluminum tube" and toned down the value to real-world cost. We're still always going to have our item delayed by customs processing then held to ransom by Royal Mail/UPS etc for their "handling fee" for paying the tax on our behalf, instead of letting us do it ourselves.

We are always going to get charged, because even if the value of the item is marked as below the tax/duty threshold, the cost of shipping is so much we're going to incur a tax charge on it anyway. That means they then get to add £16/$22 for handling this on our behalf, even if the tax only comes to a fraction of that.

It's a massive rip-off that you have no choice but to pay, as the handlers get to hold your goods to ransom till you pay it. Why can't Saberforge just set up a Euro distributor so we don't get robbed every time we want to buy from them?

Im thinking of getting an empty ASP hilt.... 1 year 2 months ago #66454

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
setting up international like that would probably be an intense headache. If they could find someone that is willing to go through that migraine it might give them more incentive to do so? I do not know much on international business so it's just a guess.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Black and Chrome Bane Mk2... (7 Posts)
    • I want one. Initially, I wanted a weathered one, but not anymore. Must have a chrome one. Thanks...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • George Lucas is an awesome visionary and he created a great franchise. The original film is pure...
    • SaberCore 3 spare parts (4 Posts)
    • From my own experience, to charge yes it seems like any usb cord will work but to use the editor...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey! Let's not forget Qui-Gon and Mace Windu. Those are a couple great characters. Actually, I...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5951
  • Latest Member: Hetsin
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5122
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 25