Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Electronics Help

Electronics Help 10 months 4 weeks ago #70058

• Enfuegoman
I plan to get one of these once i have saved up the money. But I just want to make sure in advance that i have all the electronics figured out. I'm doing a mix of Plug & Play and DIY. I currently have
- Plug'n'play LED
- Plug'n'Play Switch (latching)
- Hi-Bass Speaker
- Soundboard Champion SaberCore 2.0
- 18650 Battery Holder
I just want to know if for one its possible and if so, if i have everything i need. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Electronics Help 10 months 4 weeks ago #70074

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
SaberCore will need a Momentary Switch, not a Latching. Also don't bother with a PnP switch, since you're grabbing the DIY board.

You'll be cutting the quick-connect off your LED and wiring directly to the DIY board, but at least the PNP unit comes pre-resistored.

You'll also need some solder, wire, and heatshrink, which I'm sure you either have on hand or will source elsewhere.

Also, wherever you grab your 18650 from, be sure it's a protected cell for your own safety.

Electronics Help 10 months 4 weeks ago #70076

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
For the battery holder you will either need a flat top cell or you will need to modify the tab on the positive side to fit the battery. A cell with a cap on the positive end is just a bit too big to fit properly.

If you plan on using the holder just as a sort of chassis then you can just pull the tab off the positive side (it will slide out) and solder a lead directly to the cap of the battery on the positive side and a lead to the negative tab on the holder. You can then glue/tape the Sabercore board to the back side of the holder for a really simple but effective chassis. You need to wrap the thing in something so it fits snug in the hilt though. Thin strips of Velcro work well. If you use velcro put the hooks on the outside (that's the plastic rougher side).

Electronics Help 10 months 4 weeks ago #70078

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Kouri wrote:
Also, wherever you grab your 18650 from, be sure it's a protected cell for your own safety.

^^This is so important it needs to be mentioned again.

I'd also recommend getting a chassis to hold the battery and electronics. Jordan Moll on facebook. His 3d printed chassis are pretty solid.

Electronics Help 10 months 4 weeks ago #70097

• Enfuegoman
Thanks for the help everyone. Just a few questions. Would what makes the battery a protected cell be it covered in, i think, plastic that has all the labels? I only ask cause i already have some of them. Also Jas-Ot By soldering the positive end of the battery would I need to get a charger port for that since it could not be removed later?

Electronics Help 10 months 3 weeks ago #70112

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
Standard button-top 18650s are a tight fit in the SF battery holder, and the over-sized Panasonics are bad enough to slightly bow the holder when inserted. It's a side-effect of SF stocking flat-top holders while using button-top cells.

I recently modified one of these holders to fit a button-top cell. All's needed is to pull out the positive terminal (they're friction-fit, not glued), crimp the spring into a flat panel (I just flattened it with a pair of pliers), and re-insert the terminal back into the holder. It's tight, but it'll go in. Has the added bonus of making it impossible to damage the board by inserting the cell backward, since the negative side of the cell won't be able to make contact with the recessed positive terminal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Enfuegoman

Electronics Help 10 months 3 weeks ago #70113

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
If you solder the lead, then yes, you'd have to use a recharge port. Which, in my opinion wouldn't be a bad idea regardless of how you decide to mount the battery.

The method Kouri described is pretty easy to do and has the added bonus making the battery more easily removable. I personally would still use a RP even with that method.

If you want to build an easily accessible battery for swapping on the fly, you'll want to look into building a sled for the holder that will slide in and out of the hilt easily. The velcro method I mentioned is a very tight fit and not the easiest thing to keep having to pull out for battery replacement. It is however a VERY sturdy way to pack everything in for a combat saber that's going to take a beating.

Electronics Help 10 months 3 weeks ago #70116

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Enfuegoman wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone. Just a few questions. Would what makes the battery a protected cell be it covered in, i think, plastic that has all the labels? I only ask cause i already have some of them.

The protected cells should have a thin wafer on the end, typically with some type of lead connecting the wafer to both ends of the battery. The wafer is a tiny circuit board that cuts off current flow from the battery if there are any wiring issues, since shorting the battery would be bad. See examples of the Panasonic 18650 below:

Example of an unprotected battery:

Example of a protected battery:

Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • Your poll seems to be broken. It's just showing me results. As for the black and chrome Bane, I'd...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (7 Posts)
    • Episode IX may indeed end the Skywalker saga. Because, remember, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. He's...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • So Brax just leaked a sneak peak at his new amazing chromed Bane Mk2, inscribed with the sith creed:...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (7 Posts)
    • Quote: It's gotta be Old Republic for Sith and Jedi mass combat. The Skywalker saga is worn out. Maybe even...
    • A Preview (6 Posts)
    • Quote: Oh my, where is my bib when I need it Re: the bane mk2 Is this a custom shop job? How would one...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5950
  • Latest Member: Jessedaync
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5120
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 9
  • Yesterday Answer: 24