Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts?

Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts? 9 months 3 weeks ago #71327

• Saba
  • Thank you received: 1
I recently bought a Hero Tier Gladius. I was wondering if ASP Parts are compatible with it.

I want to buy a couple of different emitters, bodies, and pommels and mix and match them.

Would this work? Do they all fit together?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts? 9 months 3 weeks ago #71330

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Generally speaking, yes. There are a few asp parts that are kind of specific to the hilt they are designed for. But you can mix and match.

The prebuilt Elite hilts are glued together though so you will need to apply some heat to the seam (hair dryer works) to weaken the glue so you can unscrew parts.

Be advised that asp parts are not pre-aligned so you will likely need to align any parts.

Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts? 9 months 3 weeks ago #71335

• Saba
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you for the reply and the details.

I find it weird that they glue the hilt parts. I am a little hesistant to take a blow dryer to the hilt in fear of damaging electronics.

What exactly do you mean by aligning the parts? and how would I do that?

Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts? 9 months 3 weeks ago #71340

• afterglow
  • Thank you received: 3
What exactly do you mean by aligning the parts? and how would I do that?

I think that because of the way the threads are cut on different pieces, they won't necessarily automatically align in an aesthetically-pleasing way when you screw them together right out of the box. You can buy "timing shims" here, which you can place between each piece of the hilt to change how far they can turn before stopping, which should eventually help line them up nicely while still providing a tight-fitting attachment.

Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts? 9 months 3 weeks ago #71341

• Lumen_Cordis
  • "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
  • Thank you received: 7
I believe they glue the parts together just to ensure that nothing starts unscrewing on you as you use it. (Threaded parts in general aren't known for staying together particularly well if they experience repeated impacts, as would be seen when dueling. Unless the parts are tightened with tools rather than by hand. But then you won't be able to take the threads apart by hand, or maybe at all. Plus the tools could damage the nice looking saber parts. But anyways....)

A blow dryer shouldn't hurt the electronics. The wires and sound board can withstand the heat put out by heat guns used for shrink wrap, and a blow dryer outside of the saber shouldn't add significantly more heat than that. If the saber hilt isn't starting to burn your hands, the parts inside are probably fine. (And you shouldn't get the hilt hot enough to burn you. If your saber gets that hot, put the dryer away and find cold water. You will not disassemble your saber today.) You only want to get the joint just hot enough to loosen the glue on the threads, so warm to the touch but probably not "hot".

Parts being "aligned" refers to how well they line up when put together. For example, making sure the switch looks like it's in the middle of the saber rather than off at a weird angle, with the switch section twisted wrong. In some sabers, the alignment makes a huge difference in appearance. In the Gladius, however, this shouldn't be a problem. (All parts of the Gladius, aside from the switch section, are axially symmetric and look the same no matter how much you turn them.)

If you do want to re-align saber parts, it is typically done with the use of "timing shims" (available on the website) and possibly sanding down the female-end threaded section of a part. These methods together help you twist your section to where you want it to be.
"Life is about trying things to see if they work."
-Ray Bradbury

Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts? 9 months 3 weeks ago #71357

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
Forget the heat. You'd have to get the joint up past 400°F to compromise the threadlock. You won't get that with a hair dryer, and I don't recommend heating up anything with a lithium-ion battery inside anyway.

For all intents and purposes, assume the parts are permanently secured, and only ASP pommels are compatible.

If you *really* want to get your pre-built saber apart, it's possible, I've done it, but it requires an obscene amount of torque to break the lock. I wound up needing a table vise and pair of vise grips to separate the grenade and body on an Exhalted - and the grip teeth left a series of indentations in the body.

Are the Elite Sabers compatible with ASP parts? 9 months 3 weeks ago #71358

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
I'd agree with you except that it looks like super glue is being used lately (At least on the emitter). I could be wrong though.
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (8 Posts)
    • hard to say if it’s Old Republic era... considering they wholesale wipes it all, claiming it’s...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • Your poll seems to be broken. It's just showing me results. As for the black and chrome Bane, I'd...
    • Episode IX may indeed end the Skywalker saga. Because, remember, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. He's...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • So Brax just leaked a sneak peak at his new amazing chromed Bane Mk2, inscribed with the sith creed:...
    • Quote: It's gotta be Old Republic for Sith and Jedi mass combat. The Skywalker saga is worn out. Maybe even...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5950
  • Latest Member: Jessedaync
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5120
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 24