Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Question about some ASP Parts

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72903

• buzz_oates
  • Thank you received: 15
As a new member to the forum after visiting here for a few weeks after being interested in buying a realistic saber since late December 2016, I have a question about the design for my saber.

First off, I love slanted emitters. On the online ASP builder I was trying to construct something close to Darth Vader's light saber and I fell in love with the Vengeance emitter. However, for those who have sabers with the emitter, is it too heavy or too light? Does it feel to long/short? What kind of blade plugs fit inside of it (like ASP Blade Plug #2, #3, #4, etc)?

Second, I also EXTREMELY love the look of the grenade section grip of the Venom body. If anyone with the Venom saber or ASP sabers with the Venom body could tell me if the grenade grips are too harsh on your hands, if its comfortable, if I'd need to sand it down, or if it's fine the way it is.

Also, for those who are wondering, my ASP saber I have in mind is

Vengeance emitter (wondering if ASP blade plug #5 fits, if not, does #4 fit?
Switch #3
Venom body
Venom pommel

then ordering these parts with the professional assembly Champion set as the Red LED, Crimson sound font, and a 32 inch blade (I'm 5'6" if anyone should suggest a different length blade for my height).

Here are some pictures:

This one has the buttons facing up aligned with the vertical window on the emitter, if the lighting of the virtual builder is bad in these screenshots.

(If I did not do anything right let me know, this is my first time posting on this forum and it is very new to me.)
Follow me on Twitch!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72915

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 373
On the page for the Vengeance emitter in the store: "Please note that our Vengeance Emitter is not compatible with our ASP blade plugs (excluding ASP Blade Plug 04). Our Lazer Forge blade plugs are compatible!"

This is because ASP Plugs except 04 are made to protrude from the emitter and have a lip around the design part that prevents it from falling down the emitter socket. Due to the angled cut of the emitter (which is slightly different than what the ASP builder shows, btw) you need to have plugs that go "down the hole". It also won't be compatible with the "Elite SF Blade Plug" since that has a lip as well.

I can't speak to the grenade body, but I have ASP 06 Body which as similar horizontal grooves (just not the vertical ones) and it feels pretty good. Defined edge, but not sharp. Your results may vary but it's usually nothing a wee bit of sanding can't fix.

One final note: get Deep Red. You will not regret it. It makes the "Red" look orange by comparison.
The following user(s) said Thank You: buzz_oates

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72923

• RotundChap
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
AWESOME looking saber!!!! The ASP builder made me fall in love with the Venom body too. Because of it, my first saber was the Venomous Fury. The grenade body is comfortable, no sharp edges. I find the groves help with the grip when using two hands.

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72925

• Blade
  • Thank you received: 39
Very cool!! Well designed.
I just ordered a weathered Venom in deep red. can't wait!!!

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72943

• buzz_oates
Also, does anyone know how I could get the saber aligned how it is in the screenshots? Specifically the buttons lining up with the vertical window on the emitter as shown in the third screenshot. I plan to order this with the champion professional assembly package and I dont want to risk breaking anything if I take it apart to align it with the timing shims.
Follow me on Twitch!

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72947

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
With the Professional Assembly Package they will line it up for you and will seal the threads like they do on a regular hilt. The electronics will also be hard-wired rather than with the quick connects.

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72951

• buzz_oates
Thank you KelbornX!

One last question t hough.

Since I'm still new to this kinda thing, do I use this for specifying how I want my hilt aligned?

If it is, is saying "The buttons on the switch should line up with the vertical window on the emitter, and the small grips on the pommel should line up with the grips of the body, the blade plug should not protrude from the emitter farther than the horizontal windows."

Is that fine or is there another way everyone words their order instructions?
Follow me on Twitch!
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72953

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
That is where you would put the alignment notes for them, yes, though I believe the way that you have it lined up in those pics is the way they will do it by default. Won't hurt to add comments to make sure.

The FAQ thread has some more info on things you can put in the comments for them to do, like specifying color of the lighted switch (matches blade color by default), or the color of the covertech wheel.

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72961

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 62
I've discovered that the best way to check alignment when using the builder is to start with the configure button. It lines everything up properly right out of the gate. When I first used the builder, I just started adding parts and adjusting alignment manually. Of course automatic may differ from your preferred choices, but that's where I now start.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72966

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 935
Hi All,

I have found aligning parts in the builder to be a pain in the backside. Sometimes you can grab a part and position it where you want it then when you click onto the next piece the original part shifts slightly as if it has pre-set positions. There is another phenomenon with the builder too, when you zoom out to view the whole hilt and click the Rotation to "On" the saber obviously rotates on it's axis. However the saber has a "wobble" to it similar to when you roll a warped pool cue on a billiard table, it sort of corkscrews!

There is one little trick I use in the builder to manually line up parts and it uses the graphics at the top and bottom of the builder's window. At the top there is the address bar and the "open tabs" icons of Internet Explorer and at the bottom there is the graphics bars on the builder for the Share and Parts List buttons. These points line up so if you position the saber vertically you can use these points to line your parts up or offset them how you want. I've included a picture to show what I mean with the points circled.

One other thing I have noticed is that I think that the graphics skinning the weathered Katana bodies has been applied rotated 90degs, as the weathering is shown looking like a zebra zig-zig pattern rather than as the usual rings! However the recent update has increased the sharpness of the graphics so now the diamond milling on body part 10 etc is much clearer.
I spend WAY TOO MUCH time on the builder...

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by For Tyeth.

Question about some ASP Parts 8 months 2 weeks ago #72968

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
What I like to do is open the builder, turn rotation OFF, then click "random saber", then go from there.

Because if you ADD or SWAP parts from the top menus, it will be that default orientation rather than matching where you had stopped rotation. So if you reset it to default, you can then use those menus. Otherwise you'd need to click the part, then use the up/down arrows on the bottom to cycle through parts to keep the same degree of rotation.

Now if you're manually rotating the individual parts.... I just eyeball it.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Black and Chrome Bane Mk2... (7 Posts)
    • I want one. Initially, I wanted a weathered one, but not anymore. Must have a chrome one. Thanks...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • George Lucas is an awesome visionary and he created a great franchise. The original film is pure...
    • SaberCore 3 spare parts (4 Posts)
    • From my own experience, to charge yes it seems like any usb cord will work but to use the editor...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey! Let's not forget Qui-Gon and Mace Windu. Those are a couple great characters. Actually, I...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5951
  • Latest Member: Hetsin
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5122
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 25