Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Can renegade take a coupler?

Can renegade take a coupler? 6 months 3 weeks ago #74133

• Master Feemor
Hi guys
can renegade take a coupler?
I want to get two of the dual colour, with a deep red blade and make a dual saber which also can be quickly cnverted to dual sabers mid combat.
can it be done?

Master Feemor
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can renegade take a coupler? 6 months 3 weeks ago #74137

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 354
I think the Bane is the only saber that can't take a coupler (it uses a shroud over the pommel iirc). Every other hilt would be able to use one; you'd just have to make sure you get one that fits (like the Disciple can't use the short ones).

I would recommend one of the either the Short or Very Short Staff Coupler with the Renegade. The Long Staff Coupler would be too long imo, and the ASP Couplers are too wide for an Apprentice hilt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Master Feemor

Can renegade take a coupler? 6 months 3 weeks ago #74142

• Master Feemor
Thanks so much for that mate.

Can renegade take a coupler? 6 months 3 weeks ago #74148

• RotundChap
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I LOVE the idea since the renegade is my favorite of the new hilts.

As far as the coupler, i would assume it could. Other apprentice hilts can use the couplers with no issues.

Can renegade take a coupler? 6 months 3 weeks ago #74150

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 685
I'd suggest taking it a step further and also using a short male/female ASP coupler.

Saber > Vented Coupler > MF Coupler > Saber

That way the couplers can act as pommels and hopefully keep the electronics in place when split.

Can renegade take a coupler? 6 months 3 weeks ago #74153

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 354
Kouri wrote:
I'd suggest taking it a step further and also using a short male/female ASP coupler.

Saber > Vented Coupler > MF Coupler > Saber

That way the couplers can act as pommels and hopefully keep the electronics in place when split.

You can just use a c-clip / snap ring to keep the electronics from falling out. The problem with using an ASP Coupler is that it's 1.5" OD, while the Apprentice hilts are ~1.35" OD, and the Staff Couplers are ~1.25" OD. It's going to look weird, unless you bevel the edge to make a smooth transition. If you don't mind the uneven look, then cool, but I think it's ugly.

Here's a test I did with my Consular and the ASP Couplers (extras from my first ASP build) when some guy on one of the FB groups was asking about this:

Keep in mind that using a Staff Coupler on the other end of it would be an even more abrupt and uneven transition since they're even narrower than the Apprentice hilts.

Also, not all of the ASP Couplers are narrow enough ID to keep the electronics from falling out. The Coupler 1s used above are (1.01" ID), but the Coupler 4 that I have on my ASP Dark Crusader is not (1.125" ID).
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shoto saber design, ISO i... (25 Posts)
    • Quote: And since we all forgot, yes (technically) a coupler can go between the emitter and switch. I just...
    • When you say no black detail... that archon has lots of black sections. Are those preserved...
    • Hilt Design Gallery (1189 Posts)
    • Quote: While this would not be a practical saber design from a purely financial standpoint, (no body, but a...
    • Transparent copper over dual tone Translucent Purple over Silver (no black detail in the saber)...
    • Quote: Hi wamphyri13, No Probs, ask (nicely) and ye shall receive! Here is the link: Tom Scott at it...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5831
  • Latest Member: fapedWex
  • Total Posts: 60.6k
  • Total Topics: 5029
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 9
  • Yesterday Answer: 43