Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Momentary vs Latchig Switches

Momentary vs Latchig Switches 3 months 1 week ago #75287

• Guyser3615
Hello!

What are the differences between momentary and latching switches? Is it true that a champion v2 is only compatible with a momentary?

Thanks, all!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Momentary vs Latchig Switches 3 months 6 days ago #75302

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
TL;DR: Momentary switches are compatible with the Champion board's logic, latching switches are not.

Latching switches are switches that "latch" into the on position when pressed, then "latch" off when pressed again. They are best used in a stunt hilt where you need to cut off current flow entirely when off.

Momentary switches don't latch, so they only allow current when they are pressed. This wouldn't work well for a stunt saber unless you want to keep your hand on the button the whole time you use it, but it's perfect for sending burst signals to the logic of your soundboard (Champion and Hero). The board registers a button press whenever the switch goes from a "low" state to a "high" state, and can identify a held button by the amount of time it remains in that "high" state. If you were to use a latching switch for that you would need to press the button twice (on and off) in rapid succession to send a "press" signal, adding a delay between presses to send a "hold" signal. For that reason, the momentary switch is the only type that will work properly with the Champion boards.

Getting a bit more in depth, some advanced boards that require multiple switches allow you to use either a latching or momentary switch for the main switch, but require a momentary switch for the aux switch. Changes can be made to the logic to see "press" commands from a latching switch, however those same changes prevent it from seeing "hold" signals. In these boards it just so happens that all of the "hold" options are on the Aux switch, so they can allow latching switches as the main (though it's still generally recommended to use a momentary anyways).
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guyser3615
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2491 Posts)
    • Welcome ticeetal! Good choice with the Oracle - I like that hilt as well. :) Can you elaborate a...
    • Welcome Ticeetal, I see I'm not the only one with a little sith apprentice.
    • Tell Us What You Got! (2 Posts)
    • Do we know when they are going to start going out? I ordered in first set of 100.
    • SF Renegade - Spark2 Cust... (4 Posts)
    • Nice! Of all the new Apprentice sabers, this one and the Talon grabbed my attention right off the...
    • Welcome ticeetal!

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5481
  • Latest Member: Red Eye Jedi
  • Total Posts: 57.6k
  • Total Topics: 4812
  • Total Sections: 23
  • Total Categories: 128
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 9