Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: [help] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead

[help] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead 3 months 1 week ago #82552

• TOPACES
  • Thank you received: 26
Good day everybody,

yesterday I got a chance to try out the Editor Software at a friend's PC with Windows 10.

Basically, everything went well at first and I really liked how intuitive and flexible the configuration and calibration is.

The problem came after the third round of calibration and burn to chip.

Please see the descriptions below. What I'm looking for are ideas for troubleshooting, as well as experience from other users who may have had a similar issue before.
I've contacted customer service and am waiting for feedback. I'd like to avoid having to send the saber back in if I can solve the issue myself. So any suggestions are highly welcome.

By the way, is there some kind of official documentation / manual for the Editor? Other than the introduction video, I didn't see any official sources for how-to or troubleshooting yet.

Issue description:
- The saber is now sound dead. The speaker only makes a very quiet high pitched fizzling noise.
- The LED and energy vibration are still working, but are both static instead of pulsing as before.
- Flash on Clash and the Blade Lock Shimmer are still working.
- Reconnecting the saber to PC, it was not detected (got an error message "USB Device not recognized").

I was able to reconnect with the PC after turning the saber on and then connecting the USB port. All Soundfiles were still there like i set them up, and I was then also able to test all functions via the Editor and they worked as intended (sound coming from the saber speaker as normal).
After resetting the configuration to my personal calibration values and burning to chip once more, the saber again was sound dead as described before.

I'm suspecting that maybe I did pack too many soundfiles into one Font, or maybe too many sounds for the board in total.
I deleted, switched and copied many of the soundfiles basically for all categories throughout all iterations of the calibration, and unfortunately I did not keep track of how many I put in there per bank or if I ended up with more soundfiles in total than there were originally.

Is there a known max. value / count of soundfiles per Font or in total?

So one thing I will try is to delete all files and replace them with the original / backup Fonts and see if that works.
But again, alternative suggestions are highly welcome. As I will have to find a time to get to a Win10 PC again maybe next weekedn, I'd like to prepare as many things to try out by then as possible.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by TOPACES.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[help] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead 3 months 1 week ago #82553

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1865
TOPACES wrote:
The problem came after the third round of calibration and burn to chip.
- The saber is now sound dead. The speaker only makes a very quiet high pitched fizzling noise.
Are you able to see if wiring to the speaker has been affected?
(if speaker to board/battery is sealed, leave it as is)
Whilst it is speculation, the fizzling noise symptom is consistent to an error I've experienced before (not on a sabercore 3 setup) as the speaker was blown and required replacing.

[help] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead 3 months 1 week ago #82554

• TOPACES
OvrcAHst wrote:
Whilst it is speculation, the fizzling noise symptom is consistent to an error I've experienced before (not on a sabercore 3 setup) as the speaker was blown and required replacing.

After reconnecting with the PC, I was able to play all the sound effects without any noise / distortion. So I would think that the speaker is ok.

The fizzling noise sounds to me like a voltage noise. Maybe it's always there and just gets overplayed by the hum normally - maybe.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by TOPACES.

[help] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead 3 months 1 week ago #82555

• Rhyno
  • Platinum Member
  • MTFBWY
  • Thank you received: 108
I had that issue also I suspect it is the external USB port that is causing an issue have contacted CS and sent back with RMA

I have seen many posts with similar issues on the SC3.
In my guesstimate it has something to do with that port
There is no Light, There is no Dark, There is only the Force!
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Rhyno.

[help] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead 3 months 1 week ago #82559

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1865
TOPACES wrote:
After reconnecting with the PC, I was able to play all the sound effects without any noise / distortion. So I would think that the speaker is ok.
:S My error. I concluded that when the saber is connected to the PC, the listening of the sound files is played through the PCs speakers from simply reading the content on the saber and not actually played through the sabers speakers..
The fizzling noise sounds to me like a voltage noise. Maybe it's always there and just gets overplayed by the hum normally - maybe.
Maybe.. whilst it's not uncommon for some fonts that are rich in bass to cause that from the speakers or if the volume setting is too high, I've got nothing else.

Bowing out.
Best of luck with diagnosing and resolving the issue and hope it's sooner rather than later for you. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TOPACES

[resolved] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead 3 months 1 week ago #82787

• TOPACES
So... this happened:

I just reconnected with my PC to play a little bit with the functions.
I figured if the sound doesn't work with the saber by itself, that doesn't mean I cannot enjoy the features at least from time to time via the Editor Software.

So I opened the Editor and was staring at the Version Button...
then I remembered that you can update the firmware. So I proceeded and it asked me to select a .sc3 File. Since the only such file I had was the one that came with the Editor Download, I clicked that.
It was not until then that I realized this is a Firmwareupdate for the actual SaberCore 3 Chip. Until then I thought that you could this way just update the Editor Software for new features to be added later.

Long story short, after I updated the firmware and reconfigured the saber, EVERYTHING'S WORKING AGAIN!

While I am relieved that I don't have to send the saber back in for repairs to get the full functionality again, I am really disappointed by the lack of insight by the customer service.
That is because, while I provided an extensive description of what I did and when and how the failure occurred, not even once did service suggest to do a firmware update!
In hindsight, it's one of the most simple suggestions to make in such a scenario. Had it not been that I was not aware of the option to do a firmware update - since the only instruction / documentation for the chip is a promotional video - this would probably be the first thing I would have tried myself.

But SaberForge's first and only answer was basically "sorry. sounds bad. we'll have to look at it here. please send back." (at my own shipping expense, that would have been, of course)!

Phil, if you're reading this, you really need to improve your tech support.

Sorry bout the rant. But this is just such a facepalm moment for me.

Bottom Line:
Boys and Girls, remember to do a firmware update if you're having similar issues. It might save you a lot of anger and nerves.

[resolved] SaberCore V3.0 sound dead 3 months 1 week ago #82788

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1672
Well, I am pretty sure that is gonna be the "go to" advice whenever someone starts having SC3 problems, and posts the "What do I do" thread, from here on out. Once that is done, and they report back as unsuccessful, THEN the recommendation would be to contact CS.

There was one firmware update that happened after initial release of SC3, but that might be the version that comes standard now. So, if it was not an actual update to what you had, apparently just re-flashing it with the same version was enough to put right, whatever had gone wrong.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Brax.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Polish / Polish + Clear C... (2 Posts)
    • Quote: Anybody have any images of Saber’s with either of these applied? Also what is the difference...
    • Strange Occurrence (2 Posts)
    • Quote: I don't know what the hell would have caused it to stop working, then be fine the second I adjust...
    • [FOR SALE] DOWNSIZING CLE... (28 Posts)
    • Quote: Just to know, how much do they cost each ? ^^' If, by the last three you refer: the etched...
    • Polish / Polish + Clear C... (2 Posts)
    • Anybody have any images of Saber’s with either of these applied? Also what is the difference...
    • Strange Occurrence (2 Posts)
    • So I've recently gotten my Prodigy back from repairs, they completely replaced my hilt and the sound...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6700
  • Latest Member: Shelbywoort
  • Total Posts: 66.8k
  • Total Topics: 5649
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 74