Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Help with ASP Prodigal Son

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84053

• rlingasin
Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions I wanted to ask for my first lightsaber build I’m trying to do before I start buying parts. What I hope to build is a Prodigal Son (built entirely with ASP) and with plug&play electronics(12w LED, soundboard, charging port, kill key)

1. For the switchbox on the prodigal son ASP, how many holes are drilled into the switchbox?

2. I’m thinking of getting the Plug&Play Veteran SaberCore 2.5 import. Does that accommodate the things I want installed like a charging port, ignition button, kill key, and 12w LED?

3. What’s that difference between the Veteran SaberCore 2.5 import, Veteran SaberCore 2.5 USA, and champion? Which one fits my needs more?

4. The the switch box ASP for the prodigal son on your website looks pink, is it really this color or is it a bronze color?

5. For the switchbox on the ASP prodigal son, what is recommended for the Plug&Play switch, latching or momentary? This lightsaber i’m building is for display and not dueling.

6. I want a 12w LED Installed on the lightsaber, I know the prodigal son ASP has a thin neck so where would I put the 12w LED in the hilt? Is there any other parts I need to get this installed like a heatsink or wiring to the battery?

Thank you very much for taking the time for answering my questions, I look forward to reading everyone’s advice

Thank you,
rlingasin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84056

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 83
While I can't answer all of your questions, I'll take a stab at a couple of them.
Instead of buying all ASP parts for the Prodigal Son, just but the saber in Initiate tier and tell them to align it properly but do not glue anything together. The difference in price is $3 but the ease of assembly/alignment should be worth it.
The switch will be a latching switch.
I believe (but can't confirm) the pink is just a film to protect the copper.
If you're doing PnP, you will need to purchase all parts separately. Soundboard, switch, LED, Battery/Cradle, Kill Key, (if the new soundboard still uses one) charging port, etc. And the LED would go inside the grenade portion of the thin neck adapter 3 before you thread in the emitter.
That's about all I can cover. Others will chime in soon I'm sure.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by wamphyri13.

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84057

• rlingasin
Thank you so much for the help, any bit of help is appreciated. The reason why i’m doing ASP versus buying the initiate prodigal son is because I don’t want to shell out a large amount of money at once, it would be better for me budge wise to buy it piece by piece even though it would cost around the same. Plus I figured it would be fun to build it and put it togther. Thanks again for the help.

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84068

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1808
rlingasin wrote:
I have a few questions:
1. For the switchbox on the prodigal son ASP, how many holes are drilled into the switchbox?
Two, usually one for the activation switch and the other for the charge port (or with a faux switch cover blank for Stunts)
2. I’m thinking of getting the Plug&Play Veteran SaberCore 2.5 import. Does that accommodate the things I want installed like a charging port, ignition button, kill key, and 12w LED?
The basic hardware kit will, yes. Additional items to make it completely functional may be required to include as purchase items. The site lists what is required.

3. What’s that difference between the Veteran SaberCore 2.5 import, Veteran SaberCore 2.5 USA, and champion? Which one fits my needs more?
Each would cater to what you're looking for.

4. The switch box ASP for the prodigal son on your website looks pink, is it really this color or is it a bronze color?
The latter, bronze. The pinkish appearance results from lighting and can also result from aging of the metal used.
5. For the switchbox on the ASP prodigal son, what is recommended for the Plug&Play switch, latching or momentary?
Latching
6. I want a 12w LED Installed on the lightsaber, I know the prodigal son ASP has a thin neck so where would I put the 12w LED in the hilt? Is there any other parts I need to get this installed like a heatsink or wiring to the battery?
Specify the threaded heatsink when purchasing the LED. Following pics illustrate how the thin neck emitter mates with the LED and the thin neck adapter over it.

The only difficulties you will encounter (that I can foresee) is successfully feeding the kit into the shorter PS body that also shares the same real estate as the switch and charge ports. The kits have longer wires (on the purpose of one to fit all). You may need to clarify this with SFCS about compatiability too. There is also an element of incompatiability of the veteran kits length fitting inside the PS body.

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84071

• jbl420
  • Thank you received: 9
I was very curious about what the inside of a thin neck looked like. Thanks.

It looks like a tricky install, especially keeping the wires straight.

Btw, I have a few questions now lol, why do you recommend latching?, does the recharge port come with the asp 2.5 pnp?, how can I add a recharge port to an older board setup?
“Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.”

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84074

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 83
He doesn't recommend latching. Saberforge does. Auxiliary functions are done by pressing down on the card because Prodigal Son, Redeemer, and Graflex switches are hidden under the cards.
No matter where you go, there you are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, jbl420

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84076

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1808
jbl420 wrote:
It looks like a tricky install, especially keeping the wires straight.
Wires can be exposed to twisting an bunching. Trick is to keep the LED module steady and twist the emitter to tighten. The adapter then screws onto the emitter's outer threads over the LED module. Best to do this whilst the main kit is still outside of the hilt body and not to fight against the resistance that will occur.

Further from the previous illustrated breakdown, if you've ever wondered, the emitter cap separates from the neck like so too..

why do you recommend latching?
What wamphyri13 wrote.

I don't own any of the SF Thin necks (with a control box) anymore but going off memory, there's a notable gap inside the box between the clamp card and the switch. The normally used momentary and how the button press action is performed means an extra modified protrusion is need under the card to plunge deep enough for the switch. The slightly latching switch avoids this and relies on a half press versus full as assisted by a glued on o-ring under the card from factory.
does the recharge port come with the asp 2.5 pnp?,
As far as the thumbnail listing (& product description) on the site suggests, No. There doesn't look to be a PnP charge port as a separate listing either. May be something you'd have to enquire with SFCS about.
how can I add a recharge port to an older board setup?
There might be a thread on it in Saber Electronics DIY Section or even over the pages here in ASP, like this. If you were looking at adding a charge port to a Stunt Saber, I did find this oldie with a wiring diagram.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbl420

Help with ASP Prodigal Son 2 weeks 2 days ago #84078

• Rhyno
  • Elite Member
  • MTFBWY
  • Thank you received: 76
The old Champion 2.0 did come with the charge port as part of the pnp kit...so I’m thinking it will also on the 2.5
There is no Light, There is no Dark, There is only the Force!

Member Login

Latest Posts

• ASP Wave 2 Renders (42 Posts)
    • Dunno. While I personally appreciate ASP as a DIY system, I always figured it was primarily a means...
    • The Count questions (12 Posts)
    • So, here are my questions that require answering before I order: 1. Is the pommel detachable? 2. Is...
    • Quote: Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....
    • Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6468
  • Latest Member: jakUseno
  • Total Posts: 64.4k
  • Total Topics: 5448
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 56
  • Yesterday Answer: 79