Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Building my first saber and have a few questions.

Building my first saber and have a few questions. 3 months 1 week ago #84178

• TheR3PTILE
Hello there,

I plan on ordering my first set of parts for my first saber in the next few days. I have attached a picture of the parts list here. I had a couple questions about the ASP from Saberforge.

I plan on getting the Plug and Play Veteran Sabercore 2.5 for this first build. I understand that this core is suitable for a build with sound and has 2 sound fonts available. I was just wondering if it is possible to add any more sound fonts on the 2.5 or is that tier limited to those two?

Also, I noticed that some of the saber effects are customizable such as the blade flicker. How do I go about doing this? Is this a similar process to changing the sound fonts on it?

I have heard a lot of different things about the switches. I've seen that the latching switches are more meant for non-sound builds. Is this true? Since I've screenshotted my cart, I have swapped the latching switch out for a momentary one. On the momentary switch, I have heard that you have to hold it down constantly to have the blade ignitted. Is this true? I have also heard that you hold it down to ignite it but then you can tap it while it is on to play sound effects such as a blaster deflect and then you can hold it down to turn the blade off. Is the 2.5 core capable of doing this? I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions I had about those.

What kind of charger will I need for this build?

I am very excited to build my first lightsaber and if you can see that I have left anything off in my build or if something isn't compatible please let me know. Thank you!

EDIT: A couple additional questions that came to mind:

Are the pre built sabers by Saberforge customizable? If I buy one will I be able to switch out parts on it with ASPs?

I noticed in some videos that on the core 2.5, the sound fonts say their title before every ignition. For example the crimson one says “sabercore crimson” and then ignites. Is there any way to disable this so that it skips the intro before ignition?
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by TheR3PTILE. Reason: Added some questions
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Building my first saber and have a few questions. 3 months 1 week ago #84192

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
Hi there. Fortunately, I can answer many of those questions.

TheR3PTILE wrote:
I plan on getting the Plug and Play Veteran Sabercore 2.5 for this first build. I understand that this core is suitable for a build with sound and has 2 sound fonts available. I was just wondering if it is possible to add any more sound fonts on the 2.5 or is that tier limited to those two?

Yes, two fonts. As far as I know, there's not a microSD card or USB port, you just have the two fonts. But, at this price point, that's actually a lot.

TheR3PTILE wrote:
Also, I noticed that some of the saber effects are customizable such as the blade flicker. How do I go about doing this? Is this a similar process to changing the sound fonts on it?

Very similar. You just hold the button longer. In this video, the demonstration of that sound board starts around the 1:30 mark:

TheR3PTILE wrote:
I have heard a lot of different things about the switches. I've seen that the latching switches are more meant for non-sound builds. Is this true? Since I've screenshotted my cart, I have swapped the latching switch out for a momentary one. On the momentary switch, I have heard that you have to hold it down constantly to have the blade ignitted. Is this true? I have also heard that you hold it down to ignite it but then you can tap it while it is on to play sound effects such as a blaster deflect and then you can hold it down to turn the blade off. Is the 2.5 core capable of doing this? I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions I had about those.

You definitely need a momentary switch for sound boards. A quick press activates the saber, there's no wait. In fact, holding the button longer than a second or so gets you into font selection. The quick press activates the sound board, making the saber run. The only time you would have to constantly hold a momentary switch would be in a saber without a board, which is why you'd want latching for a non sound board. The video I posted above answers the rest of that.

TheR3PTILE wrote:
What kind of charger will I need for this build?

This one:

https://saberforge.com/collections/accessories/products/smart-charger-2-1mm-3a

TheR3PTILE wrote:
I am very excited to build my first lightsaber and if you can see that I have left anything off in my build or if something isn't compatible please let me know. Thank you!

Yeah, that first build is exciting. Later builds are also exciting, but you'll always remember that first one. Unfortunately, the forum really compresses images, so it's hard to see the text, but it looks from the pics like you didn't forget anything, except maybe a kill key for your recharge port. As far as I know, the PNP kit comes with the port, I don't know if it comes with a kill key, though.

TheR3PTILE wrote:
Are the pre built sabers by Saberforge customizable? If I buy one will I be able to switch out parts on it with ASPs?

Somewhat. For starters, disassembling a saber from any tier other than Initiate voids your warranty. The sabers are also glued together and difficult to disassemble. The only thing you can usually remove from a prebuilt saber is the pommel. Now, they do have that quick disconnect option for changing LED modules, but the rest of the electronics aren't quite "plug and play" like the kit is. Everything else will be soldered in and, as I said, glued as well.

TheR3PTILE wrote:
I noticed in some videos that on the core 2.5, the sound fonts say their title before every ignition. For example the crimson one says “sabercore crimson” and then ignites. Is there any way to disable this so that it skips the intro before ignition?

It's not before every ignition, it's only when you change fonts. Also, on boards that have "deep sleep," it will play when you "wake up" the saber. On boards without that, it plays when you take out the kill key. However, once the board is "awake," that won't play when you ignite the saber. That's call a boot sound and it's required on lightsaber sound fonts, so I don't imagine you can get rid of it.

Good luck with your build. B)
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by scifidude79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheR3PTILE

Building my first saber and have a few questions. 3 months 1 week ago #84197

• TheR3PTILE
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you a ton for answering these.

Building my first saber and have a few questions. 3 months 1 week ago #84204

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
No problem.

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6834
  • Latest Member: reliken
  • Total Posts: 69.1k
  • Total Topics: 5816
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 2