Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Which finish is "silver?"

Which finish is "silver?" 1 month 3 weeks ago #85749

• ShrikeArghast
  • Thank you received: 1
The saberparts website gives us four finish options to play with when choosing parts - weathered, black, standard, and silver. Obviously, there are a lot more options than that to choose from when actually buying the part.

If I wanted a switch piece to be all metal, in the same color as the silver parts on the standard pieces on the rest of my saber, which finish would I choose? To be clear, I am looking at a part whose standard appearance is pretty much all black, and I want it to instead match the rest of the saber.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which finish is "silver?" 1 month 3 weeks ago #85750

• Lord Metallica
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
Weathered is, well, weathered.
Standard is silver and anodized (if applicable)
Black is all anodized.
And silver is all silver, with no accent colors (i.e. black, red, blue)

Hope this helps!

Which finish is "silver?" 1 month 3 weeks ago #85751

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 511
The "silver" parts have been discontinued due to very low sales. They were media blasted (to remove tooling marks) aluminum that was clear anodized, so they had a textured surface which did not match the brushed finish of other parts.

The Standard or Dual Tone parts are first media blasted, then black anodized, and finally run on a lathe to strip the anodizing in certain areas and give a brushed finish to the exposed aluminum. The Black parts skip that last step, and weathered just partially removes the anodizing.

So... what you want, a fully brushed aluminum part, is not possible as a standard option from SF. You would need to do it yourself once you get the part with some sandpaper and elbow grease.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.

Which finish is "silver?" 1 month 3 weeks ago #85763

• bendodgey77
Like Kelborn said, the sales were doing bad on those pieces, so much so that you cant get Reborn pieces in silver, and that is a saber that comes in a standard silver finish

Which finish is "silver?" 1 month 3 weeks ago #85803

• Saatchi
  • Thank you received: 2
Is it possible for an all black hilt to fade? Ik this is prob a stupid question.

Which finish is "silver?" 1 month 3 weeks ago #85804

• Major_Tom
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 62
Saatchi wrote:
Is it possible for an all black hilt to fade? Ik this is prob a stupid question.

Short answer: Yes but not easily

The 'black' is an anodized finish, in which they electrolytically oxidize the surface of the metal in order to protect the underlying metal chemically and physically. Because the anodized surface is porous it will readily accept dyes. Since you are dyeing the oxide layer directly, instead of trying to bond paint pigments directly to the bare metal, the resulting finish is very durable and relatively inert, as much as the oxide layer itself. To remove this pigment, you would generally have to remove the oxide layer entirely, with sandpaper or otherwise. This is, of course, in theory, as you can see in this here link theory isn't always reflected perfectly by practice.
The Force flows through us all, in all of its peace and passion
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Major_Tom.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Weathering: Why It's Not ... (36 Posts)
    • I like the idea of starting clean with a lightsaber and having it weather over time through use...
    • To order or not to order,... (10 Posts)
    • Just IMAGINE the possibility of a curved saberstaff. No, I would wait for the next sales and the...
    • Saber Selfies (300 Posts)
    • That’s the blood orange I ordered And the first time I had seen it with a blade.
    • Current ASP order lead ti... (29 Posts)
    • I ordered an Exhalted few weeks ago and find myself logging in every day to check. I was keen to...
    • To order or not to order,... (10 Posts)
    • Quote: I'm waiting for the new builder with the new parts before compiling an ASP lightsaber. I have an...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6796
  • Latest Member: JustinHiree
  • Total Posts: 67.8k
  • Total Topics: 5730
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 50
  • Yesterday Answer: 112