Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Cutting the Blades

Cutting the Blades 1 month 4 days ago #86823

• haku
How feasible is it to cut the Saberforge blades? I'm designing a double-bladed build and 26" is too short but 32" feels too long, so I'm hoping to be able to trim mine to a happy medium.

Can this be done with the standard blades?

What about the containment and unstable blades?

Would this weaken the rest of the blade?

What tools would you recommend for this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cutting the Blades 1 month 4 days ago #86824

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 276
haku wrote:
How feasible is it to cut the Saberforge blades? I'm designing a double-bladed build and 26" is too short but 32" feels too long, so I'm hoping to be able to trim mine to a happy medium.

Can this be done with the standard blades?

What about the containment and unstable blades?

Would this weaken the rest of the blade?

What tools would you recommend for this?

The blade shouldn't be an issue. If you make a clean cut, then the blade itself will be fine. The problem is going to be the diffusion film. That's the stuff that keeps the blade light even.

Xiphos, Avenger, Eris

Cutting the Blades 1 month 4 days ago #86825

• haku
So perhaps I could cut through the blade plastic with a dremel, being careful not to damage the film, and then slice through the film with a red hot x-acto blade?

Cutting the Blades 1 month 4 days ago #86826

• Rhyno
  • Platinum Member
  • MTFBWY
  • Thank you received: 117
I've used a Dremmel with a cutting wheel.
however I've only cut blades not blade with film, I cut the blade, then cut the film to match the blade and install in blade.
I'm sure it should cut through both blade and film pretty easy.
There is no Light, There is no Dark, There is only the Force!

Cutting the Blades 1 month 4 days ago #86828

• Vechaljian
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 306
When I need to cut a blade, I first gently removed the film cutting the glue that SF used and sliding out the film,( I use a little segment of cut blade to hold the wrap so it does come unwrapped, and set it aside.
Then take my handy pipe cutter, a small one that does 1/2 to 1.5 inch tube. I cut the end off the blade to reach my desired length. Next I take my blade film, I have a 1/2 OD plastic tube I got at home Depot. So insert the blade film back into the tube, mark it, then pull it back out insert my 1/2 plastic tube inside the wrap and using a exacto knife cut the film nice and straight around the circumference, basically using the inner tube like a cutting board, then stick it back into the saber. if I feel the need to secure the wrap inside the tube, I run a very small bead of hot glue, like SF did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rhyno, InTheShadows, haku

Cutting the Blades 1 month 4 days ago #86835

• haku
Vechaljian wrote:
When I need to cut a blade, I first gently removed the film cutting the glue that SF used and sliding out the film,( I use a little segment of cut blade to hold the wrap so it does come unwrapped, and set it aside.
Then take my handy pipe cutter, a small one that does 1/2 to 1.5 inch tube. I cut the end off the blade to reach my desired length. Next I take my blade film, I have a 1/2 OD plastic tube I got at home Depot. So insert the blade film back into the tube, mark it, then pull it back out insert my 1/2 plastic tube inside the wrap and using a exacto knife cut the film nice and straight around the circumference, basically using the inner tube like a cutting board, then stick it back into the saber. if I feel the need to secure the wrap inside the tube, I run a very small bead of hot glue, like SF did.

This is EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you very much!

Cutting the Blades 2 weeks 8 minutes ago #87821

• MJRX8
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 45
I've cut several blades down to size. It's not that hard. pipe cutter will be the cleanest cut. Anything powered will create dust that'll get into the tube, which is a pain to get out.

Before you remove the film, look at how close it is the end of the tube. More than likely there's about a 1/4" gap (unless you've a thin neck, then it's about an inch or so. Keep that difference in mind. When you cut the tube, make sure to cut as much off the film, plus whatever the difference is you had in the beginning. So if you've a 1/4" gap of film to end, and you cut the tube 2", then you cut the film 2.25". Honestly, i just use scissors to cut the film. don't unroll the tube. Pinch right around where you intend to cut, then just go at it. it's not complicated at all.
Clarity of thought before rashness of action.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Weathering: Why It's Not ... (36 Posts)
    • I like the idea of starting clean with a lightsaber and having it weather over time through use...
    • To order or not to order,... (10 Posts)
    • Just IMAGINE the possibility of a curved saberstaff. No, I would wait for the next sales and the...
    • Saber Selfies (300 Posts)
    • That’s the blood orange I ordered And the first time I had seen it with a blade.
    • Current ASP order lead ti... (29 Posts)
    • I ordered an Exhalted few weeks ago and find myself logging in every day to check. I was keen to...
    • To order or not to order,... (10 Posts)
    • Quote: I'm waiting for the new builder with the new parts before compiling an ASP lightsaber. I have an...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6796
  • Latest Member: JustinHiree
  • Total Posts: 67.8k
  • Total Topics: 5730
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 50
  • Yesterday Answer: 112