Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP average "kit" cost?

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #34730

• blasfimus
  • Chicken Butt
  • Thank you received: 2
So I missed the whole Kickstarter, I had no Idea this was going on.
Obviously prices will vary from what you buy, but would I be correct to assume that when purchasing a full built saber, the price points would reflect closely to the "ELITE" tier sabers?
The topic has been locked.

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #34741

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 869
Hi again,

I'm afraid I personally don't have much experience with the ASP system due to missing the opportunity also but I do know the Full Launch to the general public will be in the next couple of months (I have to say I'm not connected to or employed by SaberForge).
As a result I don't know if there will be tweaks to the pricing, as the initial backers as you may know Pledged money for particular packages. Other Members will be better able to help you when they log in again.

However I didn't want you to think you were being ignored, it's just you have joined at a very quiet time regarding who is online!
I did add a little word of advice about the Spam problem you may see here at the moment, the Moderators are working to get rid of it so the best advice would be to ignore it and don't reply to any of it. You may get Banned by mistake if your name is on a thread containing Spam, ok? Sorry if you did read this in my last message to you!

Kind regards

For Tyeth

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #34802

• blasfimus
  • Chicken Butt
For Tyeth wrote:
Hi again,

I'm afraid I personally don't have much experience with the ASP system due to missing the opportunity also but I do know the Full Launch to the general public will be in the next couple of months (I have to say I'm not connected to or employed by SaberForge).
As a result I don't know if there will be tweaks to the pricing, as the initial backers as you may know Pledged money for particular packages. Other Members will be better able to help you when they log in again.

However I didn't want you to think you were being ignored, it's just you have joined at a very quiet time regarding who is online!
I did add a little word of advice about the Spam problem you may see here at the moment, the Moderators are working to get rid of it so the best advice would be to ignore it and don't reply to any of it. You may get Banned by mistake if your name is on a thread containing Spam, ok? Sorry if you did read this in my last message to you!

Kind regards

For Tyeth

Oh I did not feel Ignored by any means. This post was almost directly after my introduction post as I assumed this was the best place for the question.

I appreciate the information though!

This ASP system looks to be a massively positive move for SF

I am a 40 minute drive away from the Showroom, however am currently unable to make the trip for personal reasons so I'm not yet able to just go talk to them myself.

I hope this question hasn't been "spammed" on the boards. I tried to find any info I could before posting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #34810

• Kirabi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
I'm actually going to quote myself here from an earlier post regarding this, keep in mind this is all guess work and nothing is written in stone.

"I believe I read a general( and assumed) breakdown of part prices as such: each saber has four parts: emitter, switch, body, and pommel. That of course is without any electronics at all. Now you can leave off the blade as without electronics it feels pointless. Taking the $150 prices from the KS campaign as the guide you can divide it by the four main parts which gives about $37.5 per part.

Taking into account variables and the fact that with all SF sabers you get a blade plug, it's probably safe to put a $30-40 price point per part. Certain parts such as the thin neck emitters or clawed emitters may end up being a bit more but we don't know at this point. "

To add onto that I'd say ASP parts such as certain pommels(the smaller varieties), some simple switch sections(like the avenger or fallen), or some bodies(exile or fallen) may be priced lower because to me they look like they require less work. Electronics I think aren't going to change price much so it would be very fair to base those prices of the already established ones found on their main store or their Etsy store.

I think the goal is to be able to build a saber at around the same prices at the current tiers but just be able to customize the look to your tastes.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Kirabi.

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #35050

• Artair
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 75
As an ASP backer and having read through it all many many times. Like Kirabi said I think you can expect around a 30-40$ US dollar price point on each (non-electronic) ASP piece. (Pommel, body, switch, emitter, staff extension, coupler, blade)

There was some price diffrence mentioned at some point by Philip as apparently more the Kickstarter backers chose the more expensive emitters to produce than he originally thought would be chosen. So I would expect a slight price difference within a ASP category.

The electronics packages I expect will be similar to what was offered to "complete the bane bonus rewards" that was offered as an add on near the end of the campaign. They were quoted at 75$ for a warrior setup (no sound) and 160$ for a champ (sound) setup. This may have been a special price but I assume its a good starting point to help estimate costs.

That would put a 4 part champ build around 280$ -310$ so very close to the price point of a etsy champ level saber, maybe a bit more but you get to customize it so its still reasonable.

Kickstarter ASP backer 1641
2 champ ASPs and a Bane.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Artair.

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #35052

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Hey blasfimus, welcome to the forum!

I'm really excited for the ASP launch as well. I was lucky enough to get in on the Indiegogo campaign right near the end so I have one champion level custom ASP saber coming my way in the next few months I hope!

Aside from that, my wife and daughter are both excited for the full system launch because they each want a saber but obviously love the idea of being able to make up their own combination of designs. So when it goes live we'll be buying at least 2 full champion tier saber set ups and I personally will be buying a few spare emitters and bodies etc because I had a heck of a time narrowing down my choices to make just one cool looking saber for the IG campaign!

That said...

If you at any time here soon decide you can't wait any longer for the ASP launch and just want to buy one of the many awesome designs Saberforge already has available for a saber...I'd STRONGLY advise you to make the 40 minute drive to the showroom to purchase anything. I think most of us here on the forums are extremely jealous of the handful of people who have been able to walk right in there and walk out with a saber lately while we all patiently drool for 6-8 weeks waiting for ours to arrive through the mail!

Also, if the specific hilt that you want isn't in stock at the showroom, they can make it for you fairly quickly and mail it to you. I think it was said that it takes a week or two at most because they make a special exception for local customers.

So just keep that in mind before you order something through the site or through Etsy. You are much better off to make the drive! You said you can't make it for personal reasons right now. Well if those reasons are "I don't have a car" or something similar, bribe a friend!

I live in Florida, the exact opposite corner of the country from Saberforge. I'm so excited to get my sabers that I actually considered buying a plane ticket to fly out there to the showroom. Yeah...the hunger...is real.

If I hadn't had the "Force Wife(tm)" power used on me, I might have actually done it.

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #35062

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Here's my take on what I think the pricing will be (at least for an empty hilt):

In terms of empty hilt price, an think making a pre-existing SaberForge design with ASP parts will be slightly more expensive then buying it pre-assembled. ASP sabers are broken into 4 parts (emitter-switch section-body-pommel) while prebuilt they are only 3 (emitter-body-pommel). So ASP sabers will need an extra set of threads machined (and machined well enough that they'll fit with all other ASP parts).

This whole theory is based on the assumption that pre-existing designs will continue to be made they same way along with a separate set of ASP parts.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #35083

• blasfimus
  • Chicken Butt
Jaden Korr wrote:
Here's my take on what I think the pricing will be (at least for an empty hilt):

In terms of empty hilt price, an think making a pre-existing SaberForge design with ASP parts will be slightly more expensive then buying it pre-assembled. ASP sabers are broken into 4 parts (emitter-switch section-body-pommel) while prebuilt they are only 3 (emitter-body-pommel). So ASP sabers will need an extra set of threads machined (and machined well enough that they'll fit with all other ASP parts).

This whole theory is based on the assumption that pre-existing designs will continue to be made they same way along with a separate set of ASP parts.

While I would hope the price will stay closer to the Elite Premades, I have to admit it doesnt seem to make much sense unless they lowered the price on the Pre made hilts.

I mean, If you could make your own standard 4 part saber for the same price, why even bother buying it straight from the premade section, you could even remake the same exact saber in the ASP program.

I will just have to wait and see.

I just couldnt find any hint of price on the kickstarter so I had no idea what to expect.

What Im getting from you guys is pretty much what I was expecting though, on the positive side of things :)

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #35085

• Artair
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Even if they cost the same there are still many benifits to the premade sabers.

There are less pieces and if you dont plan on swapping things around less peices means less that can go wrong.

There are many things that the premades can do that wont be avalible in ASP such as full hilt shrouds and builds like the monarch.

Some people just want a finished product, (to my understanding) all asp sabers come unassembled and need to be constructed by the end user. For some this is a huge positive and to others its a negative.

ASP will never be able to really match the cohesion of a single premade build where it was all specifically designed to go toghther. Some of that is lost in the changes necessary to make all the parts work together in ASP.

In conclusion even at the same price point they will both have their place and satisfy customers looking for a beautiful saber.

Kickstarter ASP backer 1641
2 champ ASPs and a Bane.

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #35090

• DarthTtocs
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I wouldnt think the ASP would cost more than a prebuilt for the reasons above, you have to build it, all they have to do is put it in the box (after its machines of course which they have to do for both sabers). Not paying someone to assemble it should cover any costs associated with an extra thread etc
The wounded Jedi looks up at the massive man wielding a 6' long light saber! The last words the Jedi hears is "Yes, I am Sith, and oh, so much more"

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 7 months ago #35104

• blasfimus
  • Chicken Butt
DarthTtocs wrote:
I wouldnt think the ASP would cost more than a prebuilt for the reasons above, you have to build it, all they have to do is put it in the box (after its machines of course which they have to do for both sabers). Not paying someone to assemble it should cover any costs associated with an extra thread etc

I completely understand this point, though it looks like they've made assembly very straight forward based on the video. Ive never assembled a lightsaber before, but Ive done Retro console gutting and refitting and similar "electrical" projects

On a side note I'm personally very happy with the idea that I get to assemble it myself, as Im sure most everyone who's excited for the ASP would be. Hell I would build sabers for a living If i thought It was plausible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthTtocs

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 5 months ago #43844

• Hell75
  • Thank you received: 13
Dudes, you are depresing me. I'm sorry to say it that way but... You're killing my ilusion. I'm so hyped about all this ASP stuff, and i'm making a ton of saber to se what parts fit me the most, and you're making me face the fact that i have no F****ng money, and the fact that i'm from spain and i will have to deal with all the aditional shipping cost, taxes, etc.... to me its making this dream impossible.

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 5 months ago #43858

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1219
Hopefully, your situation will improve soon. In the meantime, you are doing what we all do when we just cannot swing that next saber, which is to dream about what it will be, and when it might happen. You are in good company here my friend.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: MusicallyInspired

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 5 months ago #43864

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
I was in a similar situation when I first discovered the custom saber scene a little over a year ago, and while it was depressing to not be able to get one, having to wait ended up being beneficial. In the time between discovering custom sabers and being able to afford one I did a ton of research into the hobby, learned about all the different options out there, and was able to figure out exactly what I wanted. I ordered my perfect ASP saber in December during the IndieGoGo phase, and also did a full install on another saber this past week using all the knowledge I had acquired.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

ASP average "kit" cost? 1 year 5 months ago #43875

• Hell75
  • Thank you received: 13
Anyway, i do not realy think that ASP parts are going to cost the same as a traditionally built hilt, the idea is simplyfy the product. i'am no expert in propmaking or similar thing, but usually it's faster cheaper and easier to make 100 pieces of each and mount them, yhan made 100 sabers. Also i actually think i read somewhere that price would variate based on the part complexity and other parameters, and that saberforge will offer some kind of premade pack of asp(probably for already existent hilts). What i really think is going to make more expensive the sabers is the premade led and sound kits that they say are going to release eventually, like always. Hilt:49-150. Light&sound:205.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sparring with the Youngli... (1 Posts)
    • Had a pre-bedtime duel with the padawan, and had to share a few photos. As you can see in one of the...
    • I CAN'T WAIT! (6 Posts)
    • The excitement never gets old :P
    • Want to Ask Phil a Saber ... (70 Posts)
    • I received an update and apparently I can't even cancel it now. This is the response I received...
    • Redeemer V2 Medium Blue (15 Posts)
    • Quote: Hrmm.... Not aware of a 4 tier that would hold all those. Reach out to DarkLyte customs, He's got a...
    • I CAN'T WAIT! (6 Posts)
    • Quote: I'm gonna piss myself Believe me, my friend. Most of us know that feeling well! While I have...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5538
  • Latest Member: Exar Kun
  • Total Posts: 58.4k
  • Total Topics: 4857
  • Total Sections: 23
  • Total Categories: 129
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 44