Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe!

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52291

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1059
I am actually kind of glad that I get to make the inaugural post in this area. So, get comfy 'cause there is a story coming, and most likely will have sequels in all of the movie threads! It's not so much a review, or commentary on the movie itself, as much as it is how Star Wars came to be a part of my life, and the effect it had on me.

Ok Sherman...set the Way-Back Machine to June 1977! That reference will likely be lost on the younger members, but to folks anywhere around my age, you know what I mean. But, I digress - I am 15 years old, currently on summer break from school, and spending WAY too much time in local arcade. I am making some change by helping clean-up around the place, which I usually end up pouring right back into the game machines.

While going about my routine at the arcade, I am overhearing conversations from regulars who have recently seen this movie called "Star Wars". I recall having a vague recollection at the time, of seeing a quick advertisement on television which showed absolutely NO footage from the movie. Just an imposing voice saying "Coming to a galaxy near you...Star Wars!", followed by a big explosion in a star field background. Now, even back then, I was a pretty ardent sci-fi fan, but this one really had not gotten my attention, mainly due to the lackluster advertising. They are damned lucky that word of mouth drove this thing through the roof, because their marketing at the beginning was not reaching their target audiences. Again, I digress - By now, the buzz has sounded so overwhelmingly good, that I decided to pull myself away from the arcade for a Saturday morning to check it out.

Now I live in the Central Valley of California, so the summers are HOT. 100+ degree days are not uncommon at all, and the summer of '77 was particularly warm. So, my decision to ride my bike to the closest theater showing this movie was not a trivial one. I remember thinking to myself "This better be worth it!". It was about 5 miles away, and by late morning it was already in the 90s outside, so I was a sweaty mess when I got there. Once I got there, I secured the bike and walked over to the posters in the showcase outside the box office. Right next to each other were posters for "Star Wars", and "Smokey and the Bandit". I was half tempted to just see the Burt Reynolds movie just because I had enjoyed a lot of his previous movies, so I was pretty sure this one would not disappoint. Then I looked closer at "Star Wars" poster. The imagery was kind of comic-book like, and eye-catching. The overly muscled youth holding something that looked like a long range beacon of some kind, the fetching female in a low-cut tight dress. OK, teen-ager buttons pushed. Then I notice the robots in the background...OK, interest piqued...a fleet of what appear to be fighter planes headed towards a metallic looking planet...interesting...the silhouette of a dark, macabre mask, that looked kind of evil. OK, this imagery was hitting all the right notes, and at that moment, the sci-fi geek in me took over, and the decision was made.

Now, back then, when you bought your ticket and they say "Retain your ticket stub", they actually meant it. They had ushers at the door, and if you did not have your stub, you did not get in. Having some experience with this in the past, I was good there. I was alone, which even then made me feel a bit self-conscious. But, there were not that many people in the first showing, so I could relax.

About 20 minutes later, after a little second guessing about whether I had made the right decision, the screen lit up, and I would say at this point that, it was a red-letter moment in my life. Things would never be quite the same as they were before that. When the Star Destroyer started its long fly over, I instinctively knew that this was something I had never remotely experienced, and already LOVED!

What followed in the next 2 hours solidified, and exceeded that initial experience with every passing minute. So much so, that every weekend for the next three months (yeah, movies used to hang around that long), I was there, in that same theater watching that movie. I wish I could tell you how many times I saw it that summer, but I honestly lost track. I did get my brothers to go with me to see it, and they thought it was OK, but when it was over, decided to try to sneak into the theater showing "Smokey and the Bandit", just to feel like they had not totally wasted their day. Instinctively, I knew at that moment that our interests had reached a fork in the road, which has prevailed from that day forward.

I fell head over heels in love with Star Wars that first time, and found out the hard way that not everyone was going to feel that way. But, I also found out that there were SO many of us that were on-board that it was pretty easy to find someone to talk to about it who felt the same way. During my life, I have found creative outlets like this, and folks like you who felt (to varying degrees) the same thing I felt that day in 1977 about Star Wars. It became an integral part of me, and helped shape, and mold my social interactions/preferences ever since.

My guess is most of you had a similar experience, albeit not quite so long ago. So, some of this might sound kind of familiar. However your first Star Wars experience went, we all have a common bond in our love for that galaxy far, far away.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanRising, JusticeLee

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52304

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 143
I'm not going to lie, I don't remember the first time I saw Star Wars. I think my dad was singing the cantina music, I asked him what it was, and he decided that we should go to the library and check out the fourth movie in some science fiction series, but I was too young at the time to commit it to memory, I guess. I've had Star Wars in my life for a long time (relative to my years, I'm only as old now as you were when the events you describe transpired, Brax), but I can't remember the first time the opening crawl went down the screen in front of me. I certainly am glad it happened, though.

And there was a Mr. Peabody and Sherman computer-animated movie a couple of years ago, so the reference isn't totally lost on at least one of the younger members (me).

EDIT: I guess I wasn't too young to remember it, because my sister does remember watching the movie for the first time with me, and she's younger than I am. During the trench run, she was really scared because she thought every X-wing that blew up would be Luke's.

By the by, Eddlyss64 below me is very right. Those plastic lightsabers! I remember you'd always have to hold down the button and put all the force your little hands could into ramming the tip of the blade back in the hilt.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by RyanRising. Reason: And you'd always get your fingers hit and it really stung so you say you won't hit that hard but then you get caught up in the heat of battle and do it again anyway...

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52324

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 136
Well I have to say that Empire Strikes Back and especially Return of the Jedi had greater impacts on me more than A New Hope did. I was only 1 years old when A New Hope came out, 4 years old when Empire came out, and 7 when Return came out. I can remember me & all my friends at school talking about when Vader's mask came off at the end of Return and going nuts over that scene, lol.

The thing is even though I did not see A New Hope when it first came out I do remember seeing that movie in the theater years later (back then I remember seeing all the star wars movies repeatedly at theaters years after they came out, until VHS became all the rage). Growing up & being a kid in the late 70's & 80's was awesome, I can remember stars wars always being around! Me & my friends had all the toys--star wars was everywhere! It definitely had a profound impact on my life--these are more than just movies to me.

These days it's exciting to be a star wars fan...being a father now with two little girls who have become fans too is so great! They absolutely LOVE The Force Awakens and especially Rey & BB-8! Exciting times & even more cherished memories now!

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52338

• reevie
  • Thank you received: 8
I was four and a half. I remember my dad telling my mom that the guys at work were telling him he needed to go see the movie and he took me one night to a small theater in south OKC. I was blown away. I can also recall the drive home, looking at the night sky and hoping to see X-Wings. Every chance I had, I went to see Star Wars. I don't remember how many times do saw it in the theaters before ESB, 7? 12? I am very much a Star Wars child.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52354

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
Well, as I'm sure RyanRising can attest to if he's as young as I'm figuring him to be, I wasn't even thought of when the Original Trilogy first exploded into theaters. However, I became a fan as soon as I was old enough to understand it. I remember getting my first lightsabers at Christmas in 2005, a set of the red and blue E3 Basic Lightsabers by Hasbro (what amounts to an extendable Graflex). Of course, being the insightful youngsters me and my older brother were, these were instantly and obviously Luke and Vader's lightsabers, and from then on our family was a Star Wars family. One of my most fond memories of childhood (besides lightsaber fights, of course) was me and my brother reenacting the opening scene of Revenge of the Sith (which I got in my Christmas stocking in 2006, by the way) with our Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Jedi Starfighter action figure vehicles. Of course, we didn't have the actual figures, but we didn't care.

Years pass, and my love for Star Wars dies down. Of course, I still engaged my brother and father in duels and we still watched the movies over and over, but something was slowly disappearing about it. The EU wasn't as interesting to me as it was to my brother, especially after learning the information on Wookiepedia rather than reading the books. But then everything changed.

I'm sure you can guess the rest.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyanRising

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52391

• Mvtfrmchi
  • Thank you received: 11
Mid nineties. I was either 14 or 15 on a bus to NY. My parents had saved up money and allowed me and my brother to go to NY with some family (fun side note this was a church group who planned the trip). At some point during this trip they bring out a bunch of movies. They thought I'd be fun to vote as a group to pick the one we'd watch. I voted for Back to the Future part one. In the end Star Wars won. So they start the movie, the old twentieth century fox logo comes up, followed by the Lucas film card, and then it goes black and .... BOOM! The score blares through the speaker's, the main title card comes up, the scroll begins to roll, the blockade runner comes into frame with the star destroyer right behind it and I'm sold. I'm all in. I fall madly in love with princess Leia of course. Movie is about thirty or forty minutes in when the trip leader walks up, stops the movie and goes into a speech about his kids pointing out that this movie has creatures that look like demons in it and he doesn't think this movie is appropriate for the group. Wtseriousf! Everyone agrees and they put on something else. I don't even remember what it was. I was so mad. We get to NY I spend four days sneaking away from them doing what I want. I couldn't be around them after the movie thing. On one of my excursions I run into a street vendor selling movies and what does he have? The holy trilogy! I buy it run back to the hotel room and spend all night watching Star Wars!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Mvtfrmchi. Reason: Gramatical errors
The following user(s) said Thank You: h2soy, Eddlyss64, RyanRising

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52398

• Brax
  • Administrator
That's some Star Wars dedication right there! :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mvtfrmchi

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52417

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
The first Christmas I can remember I got a battle-damaged X-Wing. I LOVED that toy. Like DK44, I was 1 as well, and my parents apparently took me a few times when they went to see it. What is really strange is that although I do not remember seeing it, by 3 years old I knew the plot and the happenings of the movie. Almost like I had absorbed it somehow. I knew Obi-Wan, the blue lightsaber, Han, Chewy, the Falcon, the trash compactor scene, and of course the trench run. By the time I was 5, I had forcibly broken off an extending antenna from an old radio and that, was my first lightsaber. I would run around my yard extending it, making lightsaber noises, and then compressing it again. Good times!

It's so awesome to know I wasn't the only one! :-)

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52430

• xyster
  • Elite Member
  • "my god, it's full of stars"
  • Thank you received: 61
Like HotRod anndDK44, I was only 1 year old in ' 77. Yet by 4 or 5 I had memorized the script down to the most obscure Jawa babble.
Mum had an old VHS back then ,and my first school was 1 minute walk around the corner. So every morning She'd leave for work and I'd sneak in and watch a half hour scene berfore school .Sometimes the opening scene . Often the trench run, or the Falcon escape or Leia´s rescue.
EVERY morning for a year or more.
Then came ESB and ROTJ, and my growing brain was crammed full with more scripts, toots, chirps and whistles.

Guess that's why I have an embarrassment of SW riches in the loft.
And my cupboard.
And the cupboard in the spare room.
And scattered liberally everywhere else really._

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52433

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 809
Hi Everyone,

A long time..no I won't type that, back in 1980 I was first introduced to the Galaxy that we know as Star Wars. ESB had just come out and there was a mild buzz about a new sci-fi film (I am in the Outer Rim of the UK and it may as well be Tatooine or Jakku as far as things happening here went). There wasn't as much information back in the 80's.

That is why my introduction to the Saga was unusual, my mother used to volunteer in the local Launderette and during the summer holidays I would get dragged to the Laundry and have to sit around with all the machines whirring, beeping and flooding every now and then (they had bad motivators!). The Laundry did have one redeeming feature though, a cubicle that housed 2 or 3 coin-op arcade machines. The cubicle was blackened out and only lit by the game's screens. I had played the games and topped the Hi-scores and needed something else to do to amuse me.

My mother sent me to the Store next door to buy a comic, I went and looked through the shelves and saw all the usual cartoons and characters but didn't see anything that "Called to me". That is until I saw a magazine comic titled "Star Wars: A New Hope Chapter 4".
I had heard of Star Wars and knew it was the first film released a few years earlier but this comic said it was chapter 4? I decided I had to get it as I hadn't seen the film and I wanted to know why they had the wrong chapter number. I took it back to that little gaming cubicle and read through that book with the games chirping away in the background.
The Tantive IV, the Droids, the big black Raven-like Darth Vader....The Princess! Desert planet, the hero farmboy and hermit all the way to the trench run, "A shot in a million kid!" I was absorbed and forgot they put the wrong number on it but it fuelled my interest and I wanted to see more.
My parents couldn't afford all the toys ect and I didn't get to see ESB in the cinema but that would change BIG TIME with my introduction to Citizen's Band radio and an encounter with a projectionist....but that is another story for the Return of the Jedi section.

All I knew was I was hooked on Star Wars. I was eventually to get my first Saber, which 30 odd years later led me to SF and The Force Awakens...

kind regards,

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by For Tyeth.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52441

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 296
Summer of '77. I'm 5 years old riding in the car with Mom coming from taking lunch to Dad at work. As we're pulling out of the parking lot she asks me if I want to go to the movies. Of course I'm all in because who doesn't like movies? Now what I didn't know then was that Mom was a huge sci-fi "geek". She's 72 now and if you mention Flash Gordon to her she turns into a giddy schoolgirl. I know where I get it from. Anyway, you Star Wars fans know the rest-settle in with popcorn, title crawl(holy shit!), star destroyers(holy shit!), storm troopers, droids,Vader(holy shit!),LIGHTSABERS(HOLY SHIIIIIIT!)! I haven't been the same since. :) :lol:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52526

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
This makes me wonder. Reading all of these great stories of how this universe entered our childhoods, do you guys think that TFA will become this for the young ones of this generation? I am curious is this movie will speak to a new generation or if WE are the main target audience.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52538

• Brax
  • Administrator
Probably depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is the fact that this is the 7th chapter in a saga, and what little historical coverage there is in it only serves to let you know you have some catching up to do. Obviously, better if they at least watch IV, V, and VI before this one for continuity, but watching them all would ensure they were already the newest entry into lifelong fandom. Seeing this first, hard to tell from my perspective, but it will be interesting to see how this develops over the next few years.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 1 year 2 months ago #52555

• Darth Vexing
  • Elite Member
  • Some sentients aren't after anything logical. Some sentients just want to watch the galaxy burn.
  • Thank you received: 90
While not quite as old as Brax, I too remember the summer of '79. I was 10 going on 11 and the movie was a treat for an acceptable report card. Like so many of us the opening scene with that giant star destroyer sold me. I spent the rest of the summer making quite possibly the blockiest renditions of the falcon ever made out of my Legos. (Legos were MUCH more basic then.) I also started collecting the Kenner action figures, and Christmas was epic with an X-wing under the tree.
I am chaos in order's guise.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 6 months 3 weeks ago #69690

• JusticeLee
  • Thank you received: 1
I seethe with jealousy for those who experienced the original trilogy, especially the magic and promise of the first film, in theaters during its original run. My first time seeing it was incomplete, it was on ... I think... TBS at my cousin's house, in the 80s, and I just happened on it when Luke and Leia swung across the divide onto the opposite ledge. I was HOOKED. The magic has never gone away. While not the best in the series it was the one that kicked open the door for this kid to a galaxy far far away.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 2 months 1 week ago #74538

• Blade
  • Thank you received: 25
So being new to this forum I thought I would keep this thread going and share my memories, feelings on this movie that had an enormous impact on my childhood.
I was almost 10 in the summer of 77 and my dad saying to me and my brother we are going to the movies to see Star Wars and I remember thinking Star Wars?? Sounds weird.
Now anyone my age can vouch for me in saying it was ALWAYS sold out. Back in 77 there were very few theaters compared to today. You waited in line forever.
So here in Buffalo NY we went to the Holiday showcase theater. HUGE.
Now the only taste I really had if sci-fi was the previous year I saw Close Encounters of the third kind so when I saw the Star Destoyer and lasers. No one did lasers, my jaw was wide open. 40 years ago and I still remember the chills and being completely awe struck.
Then the light sabers. I have been fascinated and obsessed ever since.
My first light saber, Brax or anyone our age do you remember it was a plastic flashlight with a plastic color disc on a cheap plastic tube that screwed on and if you played even a little hard it would bend.
There was nothing like Star Wars.
Before finding Saberforge I had MR sabers 2005ish.
Funny.. 40 years later and I'm still as excited and fascinated about light sabers as I was.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 2 months 1 week ago #74539

• wamphyri13
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I missed Star Wars when it first premiered in '77. But it wasn't long after that I did get to see it, on those new things called Video Cassette Recorders. And, no, they weren't really called VCRs when they first came out. Ours was an RCA, I believe, with the BIG piano push buttons and the cassette tray that popped out the top. First movie we saw on it was this Star Wars of which you speak. You know, the one that was only named Star Wars and the guy named Han Solo was the only guy to shoot. And like any other 6 year old kid, it was over from then on. Hooked, I was. Saw Empire at the Drive-In, and all the others, ROTJ, the prequel trilogy, the Special Editions and newest films all in your typical high cost theater. I still have the Theatrical releases of the OT on VHS, which is the only reason I still have my VCRs. I also have some bootleg DVDs made from copying the films off LaserDisc, (which I also still have a LaserDisc player and some movies) the first official DVD release of the OT on DVD (the Special Editions) and am anxiously waiting for Disney to fulfill their promise of releasing the theatrical versions on Blu-Ray.
And here we are. One month shy of 40 years of the premier of a cultural phenomenon. Star Trek just celebrated 50 years last year.
This is for the older members like myself, do you feel that the new movies are missing something? And here's what I mean. Having watched them over and over again over the last 40 years, you can say you're, "familiar" with them. Now, when I watch a Star Wars movie, it's supposed to start with the 20th Century Fox fanfare, then a brief pause, then the John Williams theme. That's how it's supposed to be. The Force Awakens is missing that and it just sounds, off. Of course this is just my own opinion, but how do others feel about it? To me, it's like listening to We Will Rock You without We Are The Champions immediately following.
Ryan
No matter where you go, there you are.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 2 months 1 week ago #74540

• Blade
  • Thank you received: 25
I know what you mean Ryan.. to a point. Disney taking over opens the Star Wars Universe to endless possibilities and there will be Movies, Cartoons, Tv shows and so on for decades to come.
That being said the original trilogy has so much nostalgia/ memories and emotions that it is almost impossible to live up to.
I believe you really have to set aside the original trilogy and enjoy the rebirth of all of this with fresh eyes for what it is and what they can bring.. in my opinion of course.

1977 - Star Wars Comes To My Universe! 2 months 1 week ago #74543

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 214
Being one of the younger fans... I still know what you mean Ryan. The "Star Wars Intro" is... THE Star Wars intro! I was very sad when Rogue One had no opening credits scroll. I'm also quite of bit jealous of you older folks who got to see the originals in theaters... as a child of the 90s, it was home video or the Prequels for me.

I grew up on the Original Trilogy VHS box set (even if it was the *gasp* Special Edition). I still have it... only no VHS player to watch it on, haha. I don't even remember when my parents got it for me; I just know that I was watching the trilogy over and over again WELL before The Phantom Menace came out when I was in 4th grade. When my dad took me to work during the summer, I'd watch the trilogy on the conference room TV. I actually got in trouble once in school for calling a kid a "scruffy looking nerf herder".
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by KelbornX.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Hilt Design Gallery (1085 Posts)
    • Finally decided to post a couple [attachment] Unnamed [attachment] Gladiator staff...
    • My First Comic Con (3 Posts)
    • Awesome! This is still on my list of things I have to do before it's too late.
    • Anovos Shock Trooper Helm... (5 Posts)
    • Thanks scifi79, agree that's my "recommendation". If you want a good Stormtrooper helmet, The Black...
    • My First Comic Con (3 Posts)
    • Hello Everybody, I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but my message is Cosplay...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5240
  • Latest Member: ThomasNob
  • Total Posts: 56k
  • Total Topics: 4671
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 18