Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Invite to Our Many Guest Users

Invite to Our Many Guest Users 8 months 1 week ago #62315

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 973
Just a moment ago, I looked at the forum stats and saw that there were 13 members on-line, and 471 Guests!

If you are one of these Guest users, I invite you to take the next step, and become an active member. The interaction is a lot more fun than exclusively reading posts. I am sure most of you already know what a great community we have here, so come on! Join us, jump in the discussions, and share your insights with us!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Brax.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Greysider, Borommakot, Muns

Invite to Our Many Guest Users 8 months 1 week ago #62318

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 510
I myself don't bother to sign in unless I have something to say when browsing through here; I wonder how many of those "guests" (which is now over 600!) fall under that category as well.

But for those "true" guests, don't be shy! We don't bite...unless you're rude to other members of course!
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Invite to Our Many Guest Users 8 months 1 week ago #62336

• Tech_God
  • Thank you received: 9
Yeah, I'm in this camp as well. My work firewall blocks the SF forum. I can use my phone but I have to disable the building WiFi before I can even look at the forum so any participation from me will be when I get home.

Invite to Our Many Guest Users 7 months 1 week ago #64638

• JediLCD
  • Thank you received: 9
To all the guests I would like to agree with Brax, it might seem tedious at first to sign up and all that, but it really is nice to be able to ask questions, give feedback and talk to others in this great community, and most of them are nice and will explain things very well if you need

Invite to Our Many Guest Users 7 months 1 week ago #64657

• ToyKeeper
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 85
A lot of those guests are likely search engines, vulnerability scanners, and other bots. I just checked apache logs on a few sites I have access to and found that about 85% of the page hits were easily-identifiable bots, not even counting the malicious ones which don't have an obvious signature. The web is a pretty noisy and hostile place.

And as already mentioned, many guest hits are regular users who weren't logged in at the time. For example, I default to a not-logged-in lightweight browser for most viewing, only using a full-featured browser for posting. And when viewing from a phone, requests often go through an accelerator cloud service which makes a single person appear to be dozens or hundreds of different IP addresses.

So, in general, I'd remove a digit (or two) from the number of guests to get a closer estimate of the actual value.
This is not the post you're looking for.

Invite to Our Many Guest Users 7 months 1 week ago #64665

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1542
ToyKeeper wrote:
A lot of those guests are likely search engines, vulnerability scanners, and other bots. I just checked apache logs on a few sites I have access to and found that about 85% of the page hits were easily-identifiable bots, not even counting the malicious ones which don't have an obvious signature. The web is a pretty noisy and hostile place.
From the Sleeper-Cell Bots that I've recognised in addition to the Kamikaze-Bots, I can vouch that often there are times when a high Guest Count actually represents swarming Wasps around a hive.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Wait Times (2 Posts)
    • It varies, depending on hilt, I've never had SF not make good, so if by week 5-6 you don't get any...
    • Payment types? (6 Posts)
    • Since it looks like you're in the US, a PayPal Debit Card should work fine. Just have to order one...
    • Payment types? (6 Posts)
    • I don't know about SF's reasons, but I know that another vendor doesn't use PayPal anymore due to...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4711
  • Latest Member: Oni
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4313
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 35