Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Epoch - calling current owners.

Epoch - calling current owners. 1 year 5 months ago #4476

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
  • Thank you received: 75
Length is 13.3" from pommel to tip of the shroud.

I'm assuming the pommel unscrews the same way most others do. The only one I know of that is different is the Reliant.

You're probably seen/heard the horror stories about the hilt being uncomfortable/sharp to hold.
That'd be the con, looking awesome would be the pro.

I don't own one. Thought about it a lot, but didn't buy it.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griffon

Epoch - calling current owners. 1 year 5 months ago #4488

• E$$ence
  • Thank you received: 4
Just got the warrior version last week. 12w Deep blue.
Griffon wrote:
- since I am looking at the warrior version, how easily does the pommel open to access the battery.
Pommel opens without any issue. Just unscrew the bottom (very very well machined. Nice and precise for easy use and a solid tight)
Griffon wrote:
Did you get standard or LiIon battery.
- for LiIon does the charger work well? How log does it take to charge? How long does a charge last?

LiIon battery. Charger works well but mine does NOT turn green when full. A few hours in the charger though and despite the flashing red icon, the battery will indeed be full and provide hours of bright consistent color.
Griffon wrote:
- did you get the standard or weathered finish? Did it look as good as the pictures on the site? If weathered did you get a dark or light weathering? Was it what you expected? Can you provide pictures

Standard finish (I just prefer the contrast between the light/dark areas that this provides, but thats a personal preference). The pictures online are true to life in this regard, looking just as good as it does online. As far as pictures go I can try and provide some later today.
Griffon wrote:
- how does it handle? Do you use it one handed or two handed?
The saber can be used either 1 or 2 handed with a few caveats:
1- At 13.3" in length, with a thick body and the additional shrouds, some people may find it a little heftier. I personally dont have much of an issue with it (I dont have a precise enough scale for exact weight) but my girlfriend is not able to effectively do spins with it as the weight makes stops or changes of direction more difficult for her.

All that said, if the weight isnt an issue for you, 1 handing the saber is AWESOME. The body counterbalances the blade weight beautifully, and when 1 handing you are fully able to avoid all of the sharp edges of the shrouds.

2- when 2 handing gloves are a MUST. At this point you will be encountering the sharp edges of the shroud. I wear an old pair of BMX/Mountain bike gloves and have no issue when doing so, so its not as if you need absurdly thick work gloves or anything.
Griffon wrote:
Also, non technical, what are the pros and cons of the saber?
Did you get it for dueling, costume or display?
Overall satsfaction?
How long have you had the Epoch?
Do you own other sabers?

I got it for dueling and costume use
Satisfaction 10/10
Ive had it for a bit over a week now
I own the Acolyte as well (MUCH thinner than the epoch) . Both of these are my first 2 sabers but another 4 should be arriving next week so I can have a better basis for comparison.
My current 6 sabers:

Warrior Consular
Warrior Venom
Warrior Epoch (x2)
Warrior Sinister
Champion Venemous Fury
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthMario95, Miraluka, Griffon

Epoch - calling current owners. 1 year 5 months ago #4525

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
  • I am Revan Reborn, and before me you are nothing!
  • Thank you received: 99
I have two Epochs! A champion, that I just gave to my brother a few days ago, and a warrior! Both hilts are weathered and are using 12W Green LEDS!

It's a pretty light and long hilt (in my opinion), easy to manipulate, perfect for costuming and dueling! Although, when I use it in a duel, I wear gloves with good grips on them. You see, the saber is a little bit slippery in hand due to the absence of a good grip. As a result of this, I dropped both my Epochs a few times on the ground (breaking the sound in my champion)!That's the main reason why I NEVER use my epochs for dual wield. Also, there's two very sharp edges on the hilt itself. Upon receiving them, I took a metal nail file and rounded the edges so I wouldn't hurt myself! It sounds stupid, but it was a very intelligent move!

Tha battery compartment is very easy to reach! Just like Essence said, you just need to unscrew the bottom of the hilt and TADAM! I always recommend people to go for a Champion Tier if they can! It's easier to maintain and there's less risk of breaking anything (Once upon a time, I opened my first Epoch to reach for the battery, and as a matter of fact, all the wires came down with the battery compartment; Dead saber). The less I have to open my hilt the better I feel! But this is just a question of taste. Otherwise I prefer 12W, easier to remove and recharge, and you save money on batteries.

The weathering of my first saber came out like an emerald green, which was not very satisfying (guess it makes it Unique?)! The second one came black weathered, just like I asked! Once again I think this is a question of taste. I have a standard finish, and after a few duels I can tell you it is starting to look like it made the war: Full of scratches. On the otherhand, my Weathered never seems to old: Always as beautiful as new, which is, in my opinion, a plus! Plus, I find weathered hilts attractives when mixed with bright colors!

I've had the chance to manipulate plenty of different hilts (Reliant, Guardian, Redeemer, Viper, Epoch) and would give the Epoch a 7/10 on the comfortable and ergonomic side! Use it in duel? Sure, but never as my first choice! Costuming? Hell yeah! I mean during a time in history (A not well known part) Revan had a green lightsaber! My epoch is doing that part of the character remarkably, so for that, I can't complain! So here's my Overall, with some pictures:

Ergonomy and comfort: 7/10
Look: 9/10
I Recommend: Champion with the addition of a Leather grip!

Champion Medium Blue Reliant (First Edition)
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte
Champion Cyan Acolyte Saberstaff
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Darth Revan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JShelar, Griffon

Epoch - calling current owners. 1 year 5 months ago #4592

• E$$ence
  • Thank you received: 4
Honestly I cant personally see the need for a wrap of any sort on the saber. Even with the smooth finish, the grip is very reasonable to hold.

Maybe I'm biased from 18+ years of playing lacrosse, but it really isnt "slippery" or anything like that. Especially if youre going to 2 hand it anyway, just use some good biking gloves w/ tacky palms and theres no need to alter the saber at all.
My current 6 sabers:

Warrior Consular
Warrior Venom
Warrior Epoch (x2)
Warrior Sinister
Champion Venemous Fury
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics