Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Archon.

TOPIC: Dark Shroud Archon

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 1 week ago #83131

• CidRaines
  • Thank you received: 8
So I just got my first ever Saberforge saber, after three years of poring through different designs. I finally settled on the Archon...

Lore
The name I gave my saber is "Dark Shroud" because I imagine it to be in the hands of a Jedi who survived the ordeal of Order 66 on Coruscant, and the ensuing aftermath as they continue to search for a way offplanet. I wanted a design that gave an impression of being stained by soot and ash as the Jedi who carried it ran through the ruined halls of the Jedi Temple, seeking escape. I wanted it to remain remarkably unblemished aside from the darkened colors, giving it a darkened, polished look.

Initial Specs
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Green/ Champion Tier/ Sabercore2.0 Crimson Font/ Quick Connect LED module/ Black AV/ Saberforge Kill Key/ Silver Covertech/ Silver Blade Plug

Dimensions
Hilt Length from Pommel (excluding ring) to Emitter Flute Edge: 318mm (12.9157 inches)
Hilt Length from Pommel (excluding ring) to Emitter Shroud Lip: 356mm (14.0157 inches)
Pommel D-Ring: 27.55mm (1.0846 inches)
Blade Socket Depth: 71mm (2.7953 inches)
Hilt Diameter: 37.95mm (1.4941 inches)

Weight: 479 grams

Overall Impressions
The Archon is, so far, my favorite SF design. Of the various sabers I've held, (Epoch, Sinister Prophecy, Reliant, and Acolyte) it has a perfect balance between length and width, easily allowing for both one-handed and two-handed wielding. It is a relatively long hilt, at 14 inches including the emitter shroud. Though not too long as to get in the way of continuous spinning, or complex move sets. The typical move sets and flourishes can be performed with ease, especially spins due to the thinned section right below the standalone 'arch' where the activation switch and kill key lie. Something to be wary of on all Saberforge sabers, as I've seen it in many other posts, are the knife-like edges of the machined aluminum. These must be sanded down or else the wielder runs the risk of incurring shallow cuts to their hand.

Single-handed Grip

Two-handed Grip

Aesthetics

Starting from the top of the saber, the emitter shroud is elegantly designed with angled-carvings inlaid into the shroud itself. The emitter shroud extends the length of the saber, beautifully complementing the attractive appearance of this hilt. Its leaf-like contours only serve to enhance the beauty of the blade's green hue. The control box accent adds some amount of depth to the hilt, as well as concealing the screws that fasten the aluminum shell to the black, ribbed core of the hilt.

The decorative arches that make up the top third of the hilt are a lesson in clever design, elegantly fusing beauty with function The arches provide a resting place for the wielder's thumb and serves as an excellent fulcrum point for one-handed wielding. The switch is laid into the black-ridged grips that run along the core of the saber, protruding just enough to allow the wielder to activate/deactivate the saber easily. The middle of the saber is completed by a series of four aluminum ridges that lie just below the activation switch and kill key, providing a solid grip for the wielder's palm.

The long stretches of aluminum on the lower half of the hilt are accented by two rings inlaid into the aluminum of the outer shell, and followed by hexa-rectangular inlays. The inlays are beautifully designed, neither too busy nor too simple, and add to the overall aesthetic of the saber. Compared to the upper half of the saber, the depth on this part of the saber is not widely varied, preferring instead to stick to shallow channels carved into the outer aluminum shell. However, this works to the advantage of the wielder, providing a series of gripping edges for two-handed wielding.

The pommel is designed around a series of 'stepped' rounded edges that taper into a shallow cone at the tip. There are eight holes drilled into the third 'stepped' edge of the pommel, allowing the saber's loud and vibrant soundboard to clearly project the 'hum' that is so iconic to all lightsabers.

History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Dauntless 7, Execute66, Greysider, =Ottomatix=, OvrcAHst, DarkJedi_7

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 6 days ago #83145

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1763
Nice review, nice saber!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 6 days ago #83147

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 131
Awesome saber review. Glad for you that the 3 year wait and final saber choice was a good match for you. It's a beauty for sure and that sooty staining adds nicely to the overall saber attractiveness. B)

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 6 days ago #83150

• CidRaines
Continuation of the Dark Shroud Archon Review
I realized I didn't have enough space to add all my pics, so here we go.

The Silver blade plug fits snugly into the emitter socket, held in place by a single screw near the top of the emitter shroud, there is a second screw just below the first that holds the LED assembly in place .

Archon Silver Blade Plug

Archon Silver Blade Plug Ignited

I opted to go for the Infinity Day Blade, and I'm glad I did. In light or darkness, the blade's color shines true.

Infinity Day Blade Green combined with SF's 12W+ Green

Final Thoughts
I am super, super pleased with this saber. Aside from the amazing worksmanship that Saberforge puts into their sabers, this design is definitely one worth adding to the collection. Or in my case, starting it. It's comfortable, easy to wield both one or two-handed, and just looks cool. All in all, a great saber, and wonderful design aesthetics.
History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all....

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 6 days ago #83152

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Very nice! :)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 6 days ago #83154

• DarkJedi_7
  • Thank you received: 30
A perfect weapon to survive the ashes of the Jedi Order and the pommel fits perfectly into the error of post Order 66.

wisely chosen

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 5 days ago #83162

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 186
Love the design of the Archon as well; I feel the same as you in fact - it's definitely one of the most aesthetically pleasing designs SF has given us and I love the fact that it's completely original.
Not that there's anything less pleasing about the movie based sabers like the PS or Redeemer or other EU/Legends based sabers like the Reborn and Grand Master, but having SF make their own design is just amazing - it definitely makes me hope for more original designs in the future that are purely them without any influence from the movies, comics or books.

And I love what you did to it; is that a Black Chrome finish? I've got an Archon in the works myself that I had been thinking about black chroming, but eventually I went a different path, but damn... if that finish you got doesn't look terrific.
Wonderful saber to start the hobby with and definitely a crown piece no matter what. Congrats!
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 3 days ago #83229

• DCubed
I'm curious as to the finish here, too. It's about what I'd imagined for my Archon... whenever I can get around to finally getting it.

Dark Shroud Archon 4 months 1 day ago #83299

• iMoose
I am also loving that colour! I'm curious about that finish.
Looks beautiful.

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 weeks ago #83558

• CidRaines
It’s a beautifully done Dark Chrome finish.

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 weeks ago #83563

• shane45_1911
  • Thank you received: 21
Really nice! I haven't seen many dark chrome examples.
Based on your pics, it looks like I made the right choice of finish for an ASP I have on order.
"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by shane45_1911.

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 weeks ago #83567

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 742
Very nicely done. Exquisite.

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 weeks ago #83576

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 282
Archons are starting to grow on me even though I still have issues with that shroud. Looks like a robot's toenail.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 weeks ago #83578

• wamphyri13
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
In that color combo, it could be RoboCop's toenail.
"Hold on to 16 as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men." - John Mellencamp

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 weeks ago #83596

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 186
CidRaines wrote:
It’s a beautifully done Dark Chrome finish.
That looks exquisite; as somebody already said in a different topic, we need more pics (preferably from SF themselves) to show of the different PC's; right now this looks amazing (especially on that Archon, but I'm thinking I'll use it for an ASP design in the future) but if you look at the Black Chrome on the site, it really doesn't reflect this darker but still shiny colour.

As for the toenail on the Archon; I haven't seen one up close yet, but it doesn't bother me as much - I did see somebody making a little cut-out on the top of the shroud so it looks a bit more cool (not really like a claw, but like one of those Cylon ships/TIE Interceptors's wings)
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by CrimsonJax88.

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 weeks ago #83601

• shane45_1911
  • Thank you received: 21
Darth Squidious wrote:
Archons are starting to grow on me even though I still have issues with that shroud. Looks like a robot's toenail.
Well, I used to like Archons. This whole "toenail" thing has consumed me and I can't get past it. Grrrrrrrr.....
"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 1 week ago #84287

• jedielijah
  • Thank you received: 7
Nice custom finished saber! B)
Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 3 days ago #84685

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 69
Beautiful saber. Just wanting to clarify, when you say "dark chrome" are you referring to the black chrome finish option, or is dark chrome a special request finish? Also, if I were to order a saber with this finish, would the black portions stay black, or will those areas also be the dark/black chrome finish?

Dark Shroud Archon 3 months 16 hours ago #84874

• CidRaines
About the word choice, yes, it is a black chrome finish. And yes, the black parts will remain black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rennek

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6834
  • Latest Member: reliken
  • Total Posts: 69.1k
  • Total Topics: 5816
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2