Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Archon.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 12w+ Blood Orange Champion

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17577

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Introduction

origin unknown?

The origins of the Archon are shrouded in the inscrutable edges of the internet. This image of a lightsaber (see above) has appeared on multiple websites over the past decade. I’ve seen in pop up in Google image searches, blog posts, deviantART renders, forum postings, and KOTOR mods. I spent about half an hour seeing if I could trace it back to its original source and the oldest appearance it makes is on an art sharing website, elfwood.com, about 10 years ago under the moniker “My Lighsaber.” The internet being the internet it’s difficult to know whether or not this is the origin of the image that inspired Saber Forge to design the Archon. Regardless of origin I was ecstatic to see Saber Forge make their variation of the design that I first grew to appreciate several years ago.

Lore

There is no lore associated with this saber as it is an original design. The name I gave my Archon is “Summer’s Reign” because I imagine a pragmatic Jedi Sentinel wielding it on a world where they’ve been tasked with protecting a city from the crippling effects of a never-ending day caused by a psychotic Sith. Yeah, cheesy, I know, buuuuut I like it anyways.

Dimensions
L: 15”
D: 5”

Overall Impressions
The Archon is, without a doubt, my favorite SF design so far. Part of the attraction is the simplicity of the design: it’s a long tube. It looks like much more because of its clever cutouts that reveal the black ribbed under-grips but there’s no denying that the shape is that of a long and uniform tube. Its’ length is also what attracts me to it. Of the sabers I own (Reliant, Bane, Phoenix, Sorcerer Staff, and Disciple) it has the most grippable hilt space, approximately 14”. This makes both single handled wielding and double handed wielding incredibly easy. Either 32” or 37” blades can be used with equal aplomb. All of the typical flourishes and spins are also easily executed because of the Archon’s long uniform shape. The only blemish on an otherwise glowing design is the knife like edges of the machined aluminum. These must be sanded down otherwise the dueler will be in danger of long shallow cuts to their hand.

single handed grip

two handed grip

Aesthetics
The word that best describes the Archon is “sublime.” I couldn’t design a better looking saber if I wanted to. Its’ body is a proportionately attractive ratio of black to silver. The smooth aluminum body is well complimented by the cutouts that reveal the black ribbed grips. If it weren’t for the sharp edges the Archon would be the most comfortable saber I’ve interacted with so far. The emitter shroud extends the body of the saber in a pleasing way and its’ leaf like contours serve as an elegant accent. The control box cleverly hides the screws that fasten the top half of the aluminum shell to the black ribbed under-grips. The long stretches of smooth aluminum on the bottom half are etched with distended octagonal shapes that are neither too busy nor too simple. I adore the tapered triangular pommel that ends in a d-ring. The blood orange led contrasts pleasingly with the two tone body of the saber. I would wager that any other strong colors (red, amber, dark blue, indigo) would look great w/the Archon as well. The soundboard I opted for was the Sabercore Viridian. The slow flicker and gentle hum really make the Archon come alive.

Mechanics
This saber does nothing to deviate away from the typical Saber Forge build. LED and blade retention screws are placed in the usual spots and there is a covertech wheel that can be used to attach the saber to a covertech belt system. The d-ring is an element that doesn’t see much use outside of the thin-necked sabers but its operation is straightforward (you use it to hang the saber off a loop, hook, or carbineer).

Final Thoughts

If I had to reduce my saber collection down to a single saber this would be it. I find every element of it to be pleasing to my preferences. It’s a wonderful dueler and looks great on a shelf as well. Truly, I have nothing else to say; me and my Archon will be happy together for a very long time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth Floyd, Vanguard, Artair

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17590

• Darth Floyd
  • Premium Member
  • Let the Wookie win
  • Thank you received: 20
Awesome dude! Hopefully I can get one soon.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17592

• MrSynergy
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 31
Excellent review, sir! This guy is definitely on my "must haves" list.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17593

• Artair
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Nice review. This is high on my list for its aesthetics alone, simply gorgeous.

Kickstarter ASP backer 1641
2 champ ASPs and a Bane.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17596

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
I was curious about those edges... good to hear that it's a relatively easy fix. Little filing/sanding down to smooth that edge, and I bet it'll be far more comfortable! =D

Beautiful saber you have there... I love the BO color. Compliments that hilt nicely.

Do you find yourself leaning towards utilizing the ring or the covertech more?

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17605

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Do you find yourself leaning towards utilizing the ring or the covertech more?
In terms of aesthetics I like the d-ring better. However since it's so long it dangles and swings (*sniggers*) quite a bit so I'll probably opt to utilize the covertech.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17607

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1167
Beautiful saber! This one is firmly placed on my list of "will haves", and with every review I have read, there is nothing to detract from that stance.

The sharp edges are something of a concern, but there are a few models where this is the case, and the solution is fairly simple. I saw Phil comment on a FB post last night, where someone said they cut their hand on their saber before they ever got a chance to really use it. His response was that "the new ones are chamfered". I thought that was pretty cool, but I could not help but wonder if that practice will become common with all models. If so, it erases yet another gripe that the haters have harped on repeatedly, and puts SF in some pretty high-end smiths that do the same thing.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17611

• Syph-1
Most excellent review. This is one of the many on my list of wants.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #17612

• Bietr Krrob
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Great review and beautiful saber! I really need to get one

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #18776

• Revan2306
Awesome saber!! Definitely gonna be my first saber forge purchase. Was thinking of getting it in white. What do you think of that LED color for it?

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 11 months ago #18778

• Jedikind
  • Platinum Member
  • dc,star wars,ac,lotr nerd what else ?
  • Thank you received: 19
beautiful saber mate im planing to get that saber in blood orange
sabers own: prodigal son,classic epouch vers 2

sabers i want ? Guardian,Count,exalted, legacy 1 and protector,archon and fallen

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33278

• Thorngren
  • Thank you received: 5
One of the best Saber reviews I've read. I only wish you included more photos, but your review itself was very detailed and informative. Does the Blood orange look very much like your photo? If so, I think I might have to get BO instead of Amber when I finally have enough scratch to buy a saber

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33292

• tracker9685
  • Thank you received: 8
When did you order it? I can't find this saber anywhere.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33305

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 531
Limited release. SOLD OUT! This was a popular design may return later this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tracker9685

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33309

• tracker9685
  • Thank you received: 8
I hope it returns. I want one.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33313

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1606
tracker9685 wrote:
I hope it returns. I want one.

As do I. Well that = 2. If only we can start a wagon up to 100 with attempts to justify a sooner return? Here's to dreaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tracker9685

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33374

• Brax
  • Administrator
It was a very popular design. Those tend to come back around.

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33383

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1606
Hi Brax
You appear to be a longer time member of SF, knowledgeable and experienced. If designs are well received by popularity, what deems them an inclusion in the starting line-up on SF Site versus "off-the-bench" for an exhibition (limited offering) via Etsy?

12w+ Blood Orange Champion 1 year 6 months ago #33489

• Brax
  • Administrator
I am pretty sure that decisions on a saber becoming a permanent addition to the line-up are purely a business decision based on sales numbers, and the pace at which models sell out. That combined with the cost of manufacturing each saber, as some (like the Grand Master) are so expensive that despite their popularity, they will likely not be anything more than an occasional offering, Things like the Archon, which is one of the few models that did not lend itself well to conversion to an ASP offering, and so must remain a discreet offering, will likely be back because of how fast it sold (there is the popularity) on multiple runs, and it's relatively reasonable cost when compared with more intricate designs.

So, I will go so far to say that in all likelihood, it will be back based on all of that, but ultimately I don't work for SaberForge, so anything I put here is, at best, somewhat educated conjecture based on the bits of information at my disposal. Only official representatives can say for sure, so when Kyntiri says it is so, then it is so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Boston Comic Con (8 Posts)
    • I want to get my hands on a sith acolyte/eradicator robe, but the only ones I can find are 300...
    • Saber stories (6 Posts)
    • Lol thanks ovrcAHst and thanks for the advice for tyeth I will look into it
    • New Bane 2.0 pic (23 Posts)
    • I noticed those too. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of it when it's released.
    • Saber Forge Mystery Box S... (39 Posts)
    • If I buy a Mystery Box and it comes with a SaberCore 2.0, I certainly won't be disappointed. B)
    • New Bane 2.0 pic (23 Posts)
    • I'm a little apprehensive about all the pointy bits, hopefully someone actually held the prototype...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5465
  • Latest Member: AbramyserHicle
  • Total Posts: 57.5k
  • Total Topics: 4810
  • Total Sections: 23
  • Total Categories: 128
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 24
  • Yesterday Answer: 57