Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Dark saber

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #45606

• Jedi Assassin
  • Both sides offer power. The most powerful jedi harness the abilities of both & stay on the light side.
  • Thank you received: 9
I started getting into lightsaber history & I found out about the darksaber from the clone wars. I was wondering if that lightsaber might be recreated & black could be added to the list of possible saber colors.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #45869

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 143
BOY has this topic caused a lot of trouble. I think that you would best be served posting this in Open Topics, but I'll do my best to explain.
A black blade can be achieved by using a black opaque tube as a blade, but it won't light up.
A black tube inside a diffusing blade will just block the light from getting to the walls and the outside of the blade, and the blade won't light up significantly.
Darker polycarbonate tube colors just make your blade dimmer.
There are blades made out of acrylic that have places where the blades light up in them, made by Gary Ripper, IIRC, but these are not duelable and aren't black unless painted black, though they do have the shape of the Darksaber blade.
One guy, Turgon, on the FX-sabers forum has succeeded in using a polarizing film wrapped inside of a blade in order to create a dark core and bright edges from no matter what angle you look at the blade. It's expensive, though, and he hasn't posted in quite a while, but if you have the money, you could experiment with this. I'd link to the topic but I'm feeling lazy and won't right now.
... And since black is the absence of light, if you tried to make an LED that produced black light, it just wouldn't light up. A blacklight might be doable. Maybe ultraviolet LEDs?

I hope this helps you on your quest for what only one other person has ever done.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by RyanRising.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthTtocs

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #45894

• greyjediDude
  • Platinum Member
  • Fear is not real. It is the product of thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.
  • Thank you received: 72
Long story short, no theoretically it's impossible and can only be achieved through cgi. Unfortunately the only way to achieve this has been stated many times before. But having a dim blade has no point so that's why no saber company has invested into because it's not very convinient. Also think about, black creates no light. I don't think black is going to be added to the list any time soon.
Light and darkness, you cannot have one without the other. To achieve equilibriem you must be in harmony with both; the path between.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #45898

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
The closest thing is a ripper blade with a white LED in a dark environment:

As for something like the black core sabers from some of the video games, you can put a strip of black tape on the blade, and it will look like it from that exact angle only:
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #45900

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
If you want a Black Blade go to tcss and buy a clear polycarbonate blade. then go to AutoZone and buy automotive tint 30% roll it up and put inside clear blades and you will have your Black Blade. The effect looks great until you turn on the LED and it just makes it dim instead of bright but looks great when the power is off.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #45906

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
But... A black core saber blade has been done. It is possible. I have a link.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by RyanRising.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #45927

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
Ryan-Rising wrote:
But... A black core saber blade has been done. It is possible. I have a link.
That is pretty amazing. Looks the part, nice find.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #46048

• Jedi Assassin
  • Both sides offer power. The most powerful jedi harness the abilities of both & stay on the light side.
From what I know, the darksaber isn't supposed to give of light. The blade's only give off of light is the swirl in the blade & the white aura around the blade.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #46051

• Jedi Assassin
Plus couldn't the blade the blade just be a special version of the saberforge blade with the colors removed & a translucent black material (maybe black thin plastic) be put in? if this were to happen, couldn't the LED's light still get through.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #46107

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
Jedi Assassin wrote:
Plus couldn't the blade the blade just be a special version of the saberforge blade with the colors removed & a translucent black material (maybe black thin plastic) be put in? if this were to happen, couldn't the LED's light still get through.
The Saberforge blades aren't colored, the LEDs are. This will work, but it won't get you a black core and it will make your blade dimmer.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #46393

• Jedi Assassin
OK but as I said, the darksaber isn't meant to be bright.

Dark saber 1 year 3 months ago #46403

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Let's put it another way.

The Darksaber premeired January 2010.

The Force Unleashed Black Lightsaber Crystal in September 2008.

So in seven-and-a-half years, if there was a *simple* way to make a black-bladed lightsaber, don't you think sabersmiths would already have it available as an option?
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Korbanth OWK-This weapon ... (7 Posts)
    • I have to agree with you, but this was done right, all I've ever seen before we're just too big,...
    • Wasn't a fan of that style of hilt before, but the finish on that one is fantastic! I'll have to add...
    • [attachment] SD card access, have to pull out a little further, left enough slack on switch/led to allow...
    • Okay well after the Chassis is done, it goes together super duper fast... Specs are NBv4, 20mm veco...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5282
  • Latest Member: BratikMa
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4702
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 5