Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP - Need Help Deciding :)

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 3 days ago #63791

• ic3cold
  • Premium Member
  • Weaker than some, stronger than most
  • Thank you received: 92
I posted these pics under the hilt design topic, but I really need some feedback on which option to build (damn you SaberParts for the billions of options). I only want to do one.

I think I've landed on this one, which is a mix of Redeemer, Epoch and Dissident.  I like the Redeemer switch as it hides the buttons ultimately and provides a large activation box with some greebles.  I'm planning to get the plug 'n play soundcards and then add in a kill switch myself.  I will also use brass thumbscrews for the retention screws and a brass covertech knob.

Option 1 - sleek, simple, balanced. Allow for 2 handed grasp (comfortable)

http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.111.1.0-3.88.1.23-9.170.1.0-2.69.1.0-1.15.1.0-7.152.17.0-6.149.3.0-5.144.0.0-8.153.0.0

A different variant has the Redeemer switch at the bottom of the hilt above the pommel with an extra coupler to join the pommel. 

Option 2 - edgier look, similar to PS and Redeemer; lost grip realestate to activation switch

http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.111.1.0-9.162.1.0-2.69.1.0-3.88.1.23-9.170.1.0-1.15.1.0-7.152.17.0-6.149.3.0-5.144.0.0-8.153.0.0

A 3rd variant is to change the Redeemer switch to a Reliant switch.  This exposes the buttons, but I like the look of the smaller activation box and further like the sleek look of having it at the bottom as it's own module. I am a bit concerned if I can get the sound card in and out of there, which is why I'm looking to add the recharge port.

Option 3 edgier look, similar to PS and Redeemer; improved grip realestate, exposed buttons

http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.111.1.0-9.162.1.0-2.70.1.0-3.88.1.23-9.170.1.0-1.15.1.0-7.152.17.0-6.149.3.0-5.144.0.0-8.153.0.0

To many choices :) (EDIT: Ignore the error in the bottom 2 pics. The MM coupler is not accurate colour wise to what is in the shop. The MF is accurate and shows the Dual Tone). Let me know your thoughts on what you think is better ;) Also thinking to either go Amber or Indigo.
There must be both dark and light.
Last Edit: 11 months 3 days ago by ic3cold.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 3 days ago #63814

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • There is no Ignorance - There is Knowledge, There is no Fear - There is Power, I am the Heart of The Force, I am the revealing fire of Light, I am the Mystery of Darkness, *
  • Thank you received: 38
As much as I like the lower two, it looks like you need another coupler to attach the grip/body to the emitter.
Really though, I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them (presuming that the additional coupler wouldn't ruin the aesthetics).
Nice work! B)
* In Balance with Chaos and Harmony, Immortal in The Force

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 3 days ago #63816

• ic3cold
  • Premium Member
Thanks Roger Redux,

The coupler is okay, it just needs to be updated to MM. But in the tool, the MM and FF version do not match what the dual tone part will actually look like. Only the MF is accurate. It kept throwing me off, so I left in the MF part even though it's throwing an error. Appreciate the feedback.

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 3 days ago #63821

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
The first one pleases my eye the most, though the other two are pretty compelling designs.

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 3 days ago #63828

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
I like the first one, but I would swap the connector and the switch box to give a little more room to grip above the switch box.

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 3 days ago #63840

• DarthTtocs
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Im not a big fan of the large switch boxes but with that said I prefer the first one. Lots of gripping space and the box wouldnt be in the way.
The wounded Jedi looks up at the massive man wielding a 6' long light saber! The last words the Jedi hears is "Yes, I am Sith, and oh, so much more"

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 2 days ago #63854

• Broll
  • Premium Member
  • Attatchment is forbidden. Possesion is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, essential to a jedi's life. So you might say, that, we are encouraged to love.
  • Thank you received: 20
I'll echo what's been said above, I don't like the activation boxes. You mention you like it because "it hides the buttons ultimately and provides a large activation box". Be aware that despite the large box, you can't hit anywhere on the switch to turn it on, you still have to hit the switch at a fairly particular point, so it's no easier to turn on. My friend just bought one this week and couldn't believe how particularly you had to hit it to get it function correctly, it solidified my hatred for them...

That being said I think option 2 or 3 you would have technical challenges putting together. I'm assuming you are doing a full saber with lights and sound (if not these points don't apply). It does not appear that 2 or 3 leave enough room at the bottom for the electronics kit. This should be at the very bottom to allow the sound to go through the speaker holes in bottom of the pommel. If you were to put it higher in your sound would probably be muffled sound, have weird echos, and/or be much weaker sound than designed. Also if you did manage to have the electronics kit in the middle you'd have to be careful about running wires beside it, those wires are fairly fragile and the inside of the hilts are fairly tight. I also imagine you'd have a heck of a time every time you have to take the battery out or put it back in (which is annoyingly frequent with ASP due to not having a kill key/recharge port).

All that said I think option 1 is the only one that makes sense from a real world standpoint unless you are doing no electronics or plan on doing some custom electronics on your own.
Sabers owned:
  1. Non-SF Hilt-only ANH Luke
  2. Kickstarter ASP (Champion)
  3. Venom (Champion) [Wife's]
  4. ASP (Hero)
  5. Arbiter (Initiate)
Last Edit: 11 months 2 days ago by Broll.

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 2 days ago #63857

• ic3cold
  • Premium Member
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Broll on the large control box, I currently have a PS and don't find the activation to be much an issue. I agree on the feasibility of a control box near the pommel, but in my PS the battery/sound board fit under it. Although I've pretty much ruled out the design for now :)

I think this will be the final saber. The buttons will be exposed, but I still get a nice, smaller control box for the look, without sacrificing grip.

Last Edit: 11 months 2 days ago by ic3cold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap

ASP - Need Help Deciding :) 11 months 2 days ago #63858

• RotundChap
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Jumping on the anti-control box wagon. I like the designs even thought I'm not a fan of control boxes. I feel they take up too much valuable hand grip space. But between the three, I vote the best option is to take the switch/control box from #3 and add it to #1.... This should give you plenty of grip space without risking accidentally pressing the AV switch and still give you the control box.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Korbanth OWK-This weapon ... (7 Posts)
    • I have to agree with you, but this was done right, all I've ever seen before we're just too big,...
    • Wasn't a fan of that style of hilt before, but the finish on that one is fantastic! I'll have to add...
    • [attachment] SD card access, have to pull out a little further, left enough slack on switch/led to allow...
    • Okay well after the Chassis is done, it goes together super duper fast... Specs are NBv4, 20mm veco...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5282
  • Latest Member: BratikMa
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4702
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 5