Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Staff Design

New Staff Design 6 months 4 weeks ago #69852

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 73
So it's finals week for me here so, of course, I've been procrastinating this past week :evil: :evil: and designed the next saber I'll definitely be getting. :cheer: I'll probably be ordering it in early January as an empty hilt because unfortunately money does not grow on trees and I am but a limited man but I certainly plan on putting the electronics in down the road in the following months. I posted a prototype design on the ASP saber design thread but now that I have a nailed down design and a plan to order it I figured I'd create a thread to share my design and my ordering process as I get to it.

It is going to be a darkside saberstaff/pair of sabers. The saber staff's name will be Battleaxe

and when they are separated in parts they are called Axe and Stinger.

I'm also considering getting an extra green LED so I can switch out stinger's and create a stinging venom staff out of my current green venom and stinger.

I'm so pumped for my first staff and first ASP saber I'll keep you posted once I get the order underway and of course when I receive this beautiful decimator.
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Staff Design - Update 5 months 2 weeks ago #71207

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Haha I only post when I'm procrastinating doing my school work. :lol: Alright guys the time is here, I've finally saved enough to buy my empty hilts and the order will be in by the end of the week. In the time since I originally posted I've been tweaking various aspects of the saber and ended up with different switch sections and I changed the emitter on stinger.

Final Parts List:
-Juggernaut Emitter
-Emitter 6
-Katana Switch Sections
-Jade Fire Bodies
-Gladius Pommels
-Coupler 3 for Staff Config.

I'm so excited to get my hands on these, I'll almost certainly do an unboxing/initial review and eventually a video when I install the electronics. Looking forward to sharing with you all!
Attachments:
  • ...er2.png (100KB)
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, For Tyeth

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71216

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
Gotta say pretty sweet designs you came up with Sadira. I'm wondering about the transition of the switch to emitter and body being a little abrupt. You mentioned tweeking the design, specifically the switch. Maybe the Epoch switch would streamline that some, eliminating potential grip grind whilst wielding these hilts Just my 2 cents and only a question, not trying to be critical.

All dual tone parts, or have you ruled out any different finishes. Again just asking,,, :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SadiraOrphesu

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71245

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Hmm thats ineresting. I chose the Katana cause I liked the rings and they went with the styling of the original reliant emitter I chose until I switched it to Emitter 06 (also it saves me 10 bucks overall lol) but with the Epoch switch its does give that more gradual transition from switch to body and emitter without sacrificing the style I liked so it might be worth it. I'm definitely not worried about Stinger's grip with the Katana switch cause it has a clear grip point above but I was a little worried about grip grind on the Juggernaut Emitter end. I am definitely sticking with dual tone cause that is just my personal taste, the all black and the all silver didn't look quite right and the v2 just doesn't look as nice as the clean black axe head IMO. Plus my plan is to use a Dremmel to sand down the blade edge of the axe to give it a more worn look and I want the solid black in the center to make the weathers edge pop.
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71250

• wamphyri13
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Also notice that Ottomatix flipped the bodies from your example as well. That's because that's where the covertech knobs will be.
No matter where you go, there you are.

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71251

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Alright so after much deliberation I am definitely gonna be using the Epoch switch for my sabers, the benefits way outweigh any detractors of them. As for the bodies I actually am flipping them on purpose for style reasons, the covertech knob placement doesn't concern me as I'll most likely end up removing both of them and putting a set screw in to plug the hole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71252

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
One thing to keep in mind is that the Jade body is only 4" long, so it's going to be a tight fit with a soundboard when you add electronics later. There's a reason the short body sabers like Jade Fire and Gladius have longer switch sections. I would get some Female-Male couplers (like 2 per hilt) to add some length, personally.

Here's a link to the builder with a M/F Coupler 1 and a M/F Coupler 3 added to give it two more inches of length. I also think ASP Pommel 9 looks better on the "Axe" hilt than the Gladius one I think you used in the pics above.

Though if you're just doing Warrior level you can ignore all this. :P
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71254

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Definitely something I didn't think about, I do want to do a champion upgrade down the road. I may end up needing to get some M/F Adapters but for now I'm going to take my chances with the length and see how it feels once I get the hilts in my hands. I can believe it'll be a tight fit but I still think it should fit since both of these sabers are measuring out at longer than the apprentice hilts (at least the consular which I have) and those can fit it all.

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71259

• wamphyri13
  • Premium Member
Will you be building these yourself or paying for assembly? If you're doing it yourself, then you can add length to the switch section by placing a coupler on either/both end(s). (think of the Ares Saber, you can build it in the builder but really have to play around with it to get the coupler under the emitter)

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71260

• wamphyri13
  • Premium Member
I just reread your posts. You mentioned a Champion upgrade. That means sound. That means Coupler 3 will need to be replaced with Coupler 4 or one of the 3 vented staff coupler sizes to allow for the sound when made into a staff. You will also need a set of timing shims to go with the switch section. Everything else seems non specific in direction, but you're going to need them with the switch to Juggernaut emitter.

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71272

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
Hey Sadira, I'm glad to see you decided. So difficult to make a decision with so many options available. I hope everything goes smooth with your order, and cant wait to see you saber reviews and pics. Speaking of which I took some more liberties with your design after hearing wamphyr13's input, and have these.
(Just for fun)

:lol:
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by =Ottomatix=.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

New Staff Design 5 months 2 weeks ago #71273

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
wow I need to find another way to import these pic, sorry the resolution looks so crumby! :sick:

New Staff Design 5 months 1 week ago #71294

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
The day is here and the order has been put in! Thanks for all the advice and help to bring my sabers to the next level. I am sticking with coupler 3 in the middle (I did realize it had no vents for sound I am just going to drill some vent holes down the road as the rings are a pattern I want to keep) and for now I am leaving the body lengths the same and I'll decide if I need to add couplers to extend the switch section as needed.

Final Final order list:
-Juggernaut Emitter
-Emitter 6
-Epoch Switch Sections
-Jade Fire Bodies
-Gladius Pommels
-Coupler 3 for Staff Config.

I'll be back with an unboxing in a couple of weeks when everything comes in!

New Staff Design 5 months 1 week ago #71571

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Quick update, so like I said I ordered the parts for my hilts on the 18th (of course I checked for a sale but nothing at the time) and I popped on the website later that night and lo the sub zero sale had dropped. I quickly emailed CS and I'm waiting to hear back. I asked them either if I could just get the 10% off and add the free belt clip or if that wasnt possible I just asked them to cancel the order so I can redo it. Personally I hope they refund me because I changed my mind on making the hilts longer so I'd like to add two female to male connectors with my order. Still waiting for a response. Keep ya'll posted.

New Staff Design 5 months 1 week ago #71573

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
Darn your luck, right? I wasn't expecting another promo for a while either, but it saved me on some LEDs on Etsy so that was nice.

One thing to note if you do add some couplers to your order, since you mentioned that you do want to do a Champion upgrade later, is that Coupler 1 has a 1" inner diameter, while Coupler 4 has a 1.125" (or 1 1/8") ID. This makes Coupler 1 just narrow enough to not allow the Champion (Sabercore) PnP kit to pass through it.

I can't speak about Coupler 2 or Coupler 3 though since I don't have them to measure.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais

New Staff Design 5 months 1 week ago #71577

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Haha I know right? Since I ordered on the day the sale started I'm pretty sure Saberforge will work with me they are pretty great with CS in my experience, plus If they cant I requested cancellation within 24 hours as per their FAQ. Thats good to know, I was gonna go with f/m coupler 3 so we'll see.

New Staff Design 5 months 1 week ago #71605

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Sad news, they wouldn't refund me or work with me so the order is staying as is. It kinda stinks that they'd run a sale but post it at the end of the first day but oh well. At the very least my order doesn't have to be resubmitted so it won't take extra time to get to me and I'll be able to see the length of the hilt and judge if it really needs to be longer or not.

Man am I antsy to get my hands on these babies haha

New Staff Design 5 months 1 week ago #71607

• wamphyri13
  • Premium Member
That kind of sucks. Patience can be a virtue though. I've always been very impatient. It took me a long time to develop patience. Now, I pick everything I want, (especially when it comes to Saberforge) and wait for a sale. That 10% or 15% off can really make a difference. What also irks me about their prices is shipping. Why is it $10 to mail a 1.5" blade plug and a kill key? A Priority Mail small box is $6.00. I just made that order and most of the discount was eaten up by shipping. That sucks too! :angry: :pinch:

New Staff Design 5 months 1 week ago #71609

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
The only other thing I'll say about it is I wish that if they were gonna run a sale it would be posted at midnight the night before, so that it would be seen all day the first day. But as always CS is polite, quick and succinct and I am tremendously excited for what I have coming and i'll order the connectors if I need them. I've never thought about shipping too much cause I'm just happy it takes 2 days to get to me once it's in the mail :lol: :P :lol:

New Staff Design 5 months 5 days ago #71721

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member

Woohooo as fast as lightning my order is already going to be heading to me!

Just an update for those who dont feel like scrolling through, here is what I'll be receiving!

Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Korbanth OWK-This weapon ... (7 Posts)
    • I have to agree with you, but this was done right, all I've ever seen before we're just too big,...
    • Wasn't a fan of that style of hilt before, but the finish on that one is fantastic! I'll have to add...
    • [attachment] SD card access, have to pull out a little further, left enough slack on switch/led to allow...
    • Okay well after the Chassis is done, it goes together super duper fast... Specs are NBv4, 20mm veco...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5282
  • Latest Member: BratikMa
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4702
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 5