Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Is My Hilt Too big?

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 months ago #39929

• lordofthescrubs
I've designed my ideal saber, look wise, with the ASP website. I have no complaints and the designer was very easy to use. I'm very new to Sabers and I decided on Saberforge for its great quality and warranty policy. Because this is my first saber I have many questions. My biggest would be "Is my hilt too big?" It measures 1'4.9" (4'0.9" with the blade). I want to be able to duel with it using one hand and do some basic forward and back spins and maybe even the "Obi-Ani" if I get good at the basics. I have no clue if this is possible with my current size ASP saber though. Any tips and or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The saber in question

http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.117.4.0-3.109.4.22-2.51.4.0-1.43.4.0-7.152.19.0-5.143.0.0
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 months ago #40119

• Maridion
The biggest issues I can see here (although I'm not great at spins myself) is just the length of the blade, and the emitter claw. the shorter the blade is, the easier spins are, and I haven't tried the claws but it seems like they'd get in the way of the obi-ani spin.

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 months ago #40138

• MrJiggyFly
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great to me. Looks like your hands will be mainly on the body and the switch parts with a bit of the emitter to spare. The pommel wont be where you will be holding it so that's going to be more of counter weight. So I think you should be ok.

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 months ago #40266

• lordofthescrubs
Thanks so much! It was greatly appreciated!

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 months ago #40268

• lordofthescrubs
By length of the blade do you mean too long or too short?

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 months ago #40386

• Maridion
It looked like you had the longest blade of the 3 in the builder. as I said before, it's easier to spin a sword with a shorter blade, especially if you aren't particularly tall. as someone who is about 5'8" I would not use the longest blade if I wanted to do spins. the middle one should be fine though, and the shorter one will be slightly easier.
although weight matters too, it might be tough to spin if you took the blade off, since (I think) those have somewhat substantial weight that can help bring the weapon back around.

if you have access to a dowel or wooden broomstick you can cut up, you might try calculating your hilt+blade length and sorta drawing it up on there, so you can see how the length is before settling on a blade.

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 weeks ago #58766

• Darth Khlōros
  • Thank you received: 27
The length delivery for the hilt is long because of the claws. It's a fantastic design. It should be fine

This is my design and I was thinking it might be a bit long at 13.5"
I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 weeks ago #58770

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Darth Khlōros wrote:

This is my design and I was thinking it might be a bit long at 13.5"

It may look a it longer than the average saber, but I think it'll work in practice. You can put one hand above the control box and one below for some extra leverage when dueling (top hand pushes, bottom hand pulls).

Before I settled on the ASP design I ordered, this one was in the running (w/37" blade):

2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 4 weeks ago #58796

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
I would agree. If the control box wasn't there, it might be a bit long, but with the control box there I bet you'll appreciate the length. My Monarch clocks in at 13" and I don't feel it's too long.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Is My Hilt Too big? 1 year 3 weeks ago #58815

• GenericSteve
  • Thank you received: 5
Mine isn't too disimilar to the original posters, ends up being 18" long in the saber builder

http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.167.4.0-3.86.1.0-2.58.1.0-1.43.1.0-6.147.3.0

As a complete newbie to the saber scene (and also being 6' 5" tall) i figured a long hilt would be nice.
Just the basics
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by GenericSteve. Reason: extra detail

Is My Hilt Too big? 11 months 2 weeks ago #62621

• ukyavuz
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
to be fair if we consider a real lightsabers blade would be weightless than having a long hilt actually makes it easier for spins especailly if emitter or pommel are heavy to help the swings and spins.

Is My Hilt Too big? 11 months 2 weeks ago #62918

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 73
Honestly I'd say that question is going to depend on your size, figthing style and just personal preference. The taller you are the easier it'll be to handle a longer weapon. At 5'9" my venom is 11" from pommel to claw tips and with a 37" blade doesn't cause me any problems even while spinning and the emitter claws certainly don't get in the way as my grip is usually just below the emitter windows. It also depends on preference too because different blade lengths are useful at different times. I have a 26" for practicing spins in my apartment without destroying my ceiling lol and the lighter blade is able to perform quicker spins and allows for more maneuverability. My 37" blade (which is my standard use blade) allows for more powerful swings because of the weight it adds on and gives me a greater reach. On top of that the length of your pommel might increase the width of your grip and that would change how you use it while fighting I would say.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Korbanth OWK-This weapon ... (7 Posts)
    • I have to agree with you, but this was done right, all I've ever seen before we're just too big,...
    • Wasn't a fan of that style of hilt before, but the finish on that one is fantastic! I'll have to add...
    • [attachment] SD card access, have to pull out a little further, left enough slack on switch/led to allow...
    • Okay well after the Chassis is done, it goes together super duper fast... Specs are NBv4, 20mm veco...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5281
  • Latest Member: Giorgitron79
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4702
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 5