Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23)

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #52969

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
Introduction
Adaptive Saber Parts have arrived! Designed as a modular hilt building system Adaptive Saber Parts (ASP) gives saber enthusiasts the opportunity to design… thousands?... of hilts. Some parts were designed to be a complete build while other are individual components. Some of these designs are “canon” and others are Saberforge originals. ASP is also an opportunity to mix in hilts inspired by the Extended Universe (now non-canon). Thomas Snyder, SF’s hilt designer and renderer, designed an ASP hilt inspired by the EU character Corran that consists of Pommel 9, Body 10, Switch 7, and Emitter 9. I didn’t exactly follow this build but that’s the beauty of ASP!

Lore
From Wookiepedia
Corran Horn was a Force-sensitive Human male Corellian pilot who served as a Corellian Security Force investigator, a Rogue Squadron ace and New Republic hero, and later a Jedi Master of the New Jedi Order.
Spliced into Star Wars universe Corran Horn is perhaps the most Gary Stu
A Mary Sue for female characters and Gary Stu, Marty Stu or Larry Stu for male characters is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.
character in the EU. He’s an ace pilot, Jedi Master, has a secret heritage, possesses Force powers different from the majority of other Jedi, is friends with the core SW characters, his nemesis wants to shag him, he’s functionally invincible… and the list goes on. I vacillate between enjoying Corran and rolling my eyes at him. While I have problems with the way Horn is handled in the EU (especially in “I, Jedi”) his saber is unquestionably cool. Built in a pinch from a speeder throttle , spare machine parts, and a legacy focusing crystal from his secret father who was a famous Jedi who hid Corran during the Jedi purge…. And we’re back in Gary Stu territory. Anyways… It’s an intriguing concept that is both functional and different from the typical hilt.

Dimensions
Height: 27 cm
Width: 4 cm

ASP Components

Emitter 9 Standard Finish: I’d almost call this a pseudo thin-neck. This emitter has a natural choke 5 cm from its lip.

Switch 10 Standard Finish: Although this wasn’t part of the original Corran hilt its’ grooves match the emitter well.

Body 10 Standard Finish: The knurled portions and machined look of this body set it apart from the other body options. I’ve seen it featured in a number of ASP builds that have incorporated it well.

Pommel 9 Standard Finish: Pleasantly understated it balances out the heavier portion of Body 10.

Blade Plug 5 Standard Finish: I reeeeeally like this blade plug. The render has it popped up over the lip of the emitter but it looks sublime recessed into the hilt.

Overall Impressions
I greatly appreciate how different this ASP build is from the rest of my hilt collection. Some of the parts didn't match the render but, fortunately, I feel that the final product looks better than the render. It also looks less chunky than the render and it's a surprisingly comfortable hilt. I was curious whether the quality of the materials would dip with the inaugural launch of ASP the quality of the components and the overall feel of the hilt exceeded my expectations. I’m not planning on using this as a dueler but I could see it as a midlevel two hander.

Aesthetics

I firmly feel that this hilt sells the fantasy that it was created from random speeder parts. Body 10 and Emitter 9 unify the design with its’ knurled portions and the grooved square motif. The greeblie screws on the emitter sell the concept well too. Like I mentioned earlier it’s very different from the typical SF offerings because it doesn’t look like your typical saber. Body, switch, pommel, and emitter don’t have any design elements from the canon SW saber hilts which sufficiently sets it apart from the rest of my collection.

Mechanics

This hilt doesn’t deviate away from the typical Saber Forge build. LED and blade retention screws are placed in the usual spots and there is a covertech wheel that can be used to attach the hilt to a covertech belt system. It has two 12mm holes for the switch and the .The only main variation is that the greeblies on the emitter can act as blade plug/blade retention screws. It took me a couple of tries to get the rights shims in to align all the parts but it’s looking alright.

Final Thoughts
My first ASP hilt is a work in progress. I’m planning on installing a Frost White LED and I’m considering swapping out Switch 10 with a Switch 7 once I can buy more ASP parts. That’s the beauty of the ASP system, I can play around with parts until I find what I like. I’m looking forward to seeing where ASP goes from here.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by h2soy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, Borommakot, Eddlyss64, OvrcAHst

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #52974

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1386
I agree you with man! I think the finished product is an improvement over the render. Much more silver/black contrast (which I personally love), which tends to bring out the lines much more clearly, and they are some fine lines!

Love the design, and can't wait to hear the rest of the story, and see some more glamor shots of it all ignited and gorgeous!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Brax.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #52976

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
shots of it all ignited
It might be awhile before I fire her up. I'm not going to use the electronic kit in this hilt (might actually sell it, still on the fence) but rather I'm going to do my own install once I get my LED order in.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #52977

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1386
h2soy wrote:
shots of it all ignited
It might be awhile before I fire her up. I'm not going to use the electronic kit in this hilt (might actually sell it, still on the fence) but rather I'm going to do my own install once I get my LED order in.

I'll wait..... :silly:

But seriously, what are you going with? A straight Tri-Cree will all the same color (if so, what color), or an RGB(A) kind of thing?
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #52978

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
h2soy wrote:
shots of it all ignited

What electronics did you get? If you're considering selling, I'm considering buying.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #52988

• Ramaloke
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Thanks for sharing man. It looks like it turned out better than expected. That's refreshing. Congrats and good luck with your continuing work.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #52993

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
But seriously, what are you going with? A straight Tri-Cree will all the same color (if so, what color), or an RGB(A) kind of thing?
Don't have the "mad skillz" yet to wire my own LED so I'm going with the Frost White from SF which is White/White/Blue.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #53000

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 720
Huh, so going off your pic, I'm guessing Body 10 in standard is anodized black, knurled section is masked, and then the part's powdercoated silver. Or maybe the whole thing is just a raw cast, masked, with the knurled sections powdercoated black... Noticed the grooves aren't black like the render and the overall finish is different from the polished metal of the other Standard parts.

Curious if my weathered body skips the powdercoating step and jsut gets anodized and sanded. Curious how all these variations are going to look.

Either way, looking forward to progress on this one.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #53008

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Or maybe the whole thing is just a raw cast, masked, with the knurled sections powdercoated black...
Pretty sure it's this possibility.
Noticed the grooves aren't black like the render and the overall finish is different from the polished metal of the other Standard parts.
With a number of the "standard" finish ASP parts I've noticed that if the parts have black recessed portions the exposed silver bits have the sanded finish. These parts were probably all black in their unfinished state and then sanded down to get some silver accents in. Other parts that aren't predominantly black (like Body 10) have the raw cast look that gives the part that "satiny" finish. I suspect when SF got the raw parts from the manufacturer they did a "time triage" and the rear grooves on Body 10 were deemed too time intensive to get the black accents in. Part of my review on Saturday will be a close up on all the parts and my take on each component.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by h2soy.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #53113

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
Just noticed this thread. Really nice saber h2soy! I like it. Good amount of black. Nice creation. Congrats!
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

Corran's Gambit 1 year 7 months ago #53114

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
That is awesome! It's amazing to see people's creativity come to life. I have tried combining a few parts, but yet again someone has made something cooler than anything I have thought up. Very nice! :)

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53178

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
Updated with full review and close up pics of the ASP parts.

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53183

• BZArcher
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 92
Excellent review!

I have to admit emitter 9 is growing on me. It looks a lot more attractive in person.

Also, as a body 10 owner, FWIW, I pulled my covertech knob off, since it was breaking up my grip a bit, and I think I may either modify my current pommel to take a D-ring or swap for a pommel that already has one instead.

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53186

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I have to admit emitter 9 is growing on me. It looks a lot more attractive in person.
It does look a lot better than the saberparts.com render. I was planning on getting some black powdercoated onto the recessed areas so I was pleased to see that the final part had more black recessed bits.

More pics to show the choke points:

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53189

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 540
h2soy that's an awesome hilt you put together. If my memory serves me correctly, when will you receive this saber?

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53191

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
h2soy that's an awesome hilt you put together. If my memory serves me correctly, when will you receive this saber?
Can't tale the credit for that one. I still have a Legacy tier coming from Justin, a Quinlan Vos, and these two:

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53192

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 540
h2soy wrote:
Can't tale the credit for that one. I still have a Legacy tier coming from Justin, a Quinlan Vos, and these two:

Ok well along with my eyesight I gues the memory is also degrading. Those are excellent hilts as well. Looking forward to your Legacy Saber. they're putting out fantastic work !

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53193

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
100% agreed on the recessed blade plug. IMO, all plugs should be recessed flush with or below the lip of the emitter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: h2soy

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53194

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
Very nice ASP h2soy. Very nice indeed. And a great review to go along with it. Congrats.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Corran's Gambit (Update 1, 4/23) 1 year 7 months ago #53246

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1702
h2soy, Congratulations to you with receipt of a long anticipated ASP. A very appealing configuration you have selected. I have recently taken a strong liking to the majority of your selected parts namely: Emitter9, Body10 & Pommel9 and whilst I missed out with supporting the KickStarter am anxious for the official launch of ASP to hopefully acquire my very own. Consistent to your Reviews, very comprehensive and analytical. Thank you.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Fly with the saber in you... (7 Posts)
    • Yeah, the SF batteries are under 13Wh, so no worries there.
    • Fly with the saber in you... (7 Posts)
    • Thanks for the answers everyone. The flight Company said the allowed amount of lithium in the...
    • Happy Thanksgiving (5 Posts)
    • Wishing all who celebrate the American Thanksgiving a time of reflection, happiness and...
    • AGONY - Ronin Mk 3 ( pic... (10 Posts)
    • Thanks to all who have had a peek and posted the kind and encouraging comments. I can honestly say...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6021
  • Latest Member: Minesniper
  • Total Posts: 61.9k
  • Total Topics: 5158
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 35
  • Yesterday Answer: 52