Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 3 days ago #55170

• jadehawk
  • Thank you received: 1
HI everyone!.
I finally received my ASP Saber (via kickstarter ordered on ) order on May 5. and I am both very please and a little disappointed with what I got.

The parts list:
  • ASP . Venom Emitter . Weathered
  • ASP . Venom Switch . Weathered
  • ASP . Venom Body . Weathered
  • ASP . Venom Pommel . Weathered
  • ASP . Blade Plug 2 . Black
  • 1x Blade 32"
  • 1x LED Module Color Purple
  • 1x Soundboard Viridium

First Impressions:

WOW. I love the feel and look of this Saber, very impress and happy with how this thing was made and saberforge did not disappoint in this regard, all pieces match and fit together nicely and tight no wobble or gaps once the pieces are put together.

This is where my disappointment starts:

As you can see this saber has a switch assembly with 3 pre-drill 12mm holes. 1 is used by the AV switch (Included) and the 1 is covered by a dummy plug (Included), the last hole is left opened! no dummy plug.
at the very minimum the employee in charge of packing the order should have had a packing list printed (non was included in my shipping box) and reviewed before blessing the order and send it on its way. At that point the missing dummy plug would had being notice and an INCOMPLETE saber would had not being delivered after waiting 10 months.

Here is it with the attached (glued) dummy plug:

And to seal the deal of not checking that all parts are ready before sealing the box, I also get an incomplete Display Stand to boot. The stand was packed in an (imitation) zip-lock bag that has signs of hardship and a tiny hole in one corner where no doubt the 2 screws that hole the second bar escape from. And this is as good as its going to get without the missing hardware.

Will I recommend Saberforge.com for future saber purchases? My answer will still be YES.
As the build quality is great and maybe in the future the employee that puts my future order in the box will not be so incompetent and take a little more pride in what he does and makes sure saberforge customers will receive a complete product.

Forgot to take a picture with the blade on! Darn! May do it once I get back home tomorrow and post it if anyone is interested.

P.S.
Since I can't see any pictures while I write this post (even after pressing Preview) all pictures can be seen here as well ( Flickr Album )
Last Edit: 2 months 2 days ago by jadehawk.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 3 days ago #55212

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 335
I took the liberty of editing in your pics. They were too large for the site which can only handle potato quality images.

I hope that you contacted This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request extra dummy switches and stand parts. They need to know that their assembly line needs to pay attention when the standard amount of holes aren't in the build that they need to send more dummy switches (the Venom switch has two "extra") holes. They'll fix these problems, just make sure you're proactive about it so they can amend them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jadehawk

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 3 days ago #55213

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 382
It appears the switch section you received as drilled for a Hero tier setup (two switches and a recharge port), which currently isn't offered with ASP, which makes me think it was from their regular rotation of parts instead of their ASP specific ones.

So it wasn't really an issue of not getting enough switch covers, but getting a part with an extra hole!

EDIT: And if I remember correctly, someone else recently also got an ASP switch with 3 holes drilled (it was a from a Dissident)
Forum FAQ
2005 MR Vader, Graflex 2.0, ASP hilt
Last Edit: 2 months 3 days ago by Jaden Korr. Reason: Info
The following user(s) said Thank You: jadehawk

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 3 days ago #55215

• jadehawk
You are probably correct. In the virtual saber program where we picked the asp parts that make up the saber. the switch assembly only has 2 holes. But the "Kickstarter Pledge" did include the Champion electronic kit maybe this is where the confusion started. I indeed have the Champion electronic kit but it never said that it supported in-hilt charging. Maybe I can add that feature in the future? since the hole is already there. I was contacted by Melissa and she said she "can" send me the extra plug. But that was the end of the conversation so far. I am sure she will contact me again with final details I hope she also adds the missing screws to complete the stand..

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 3 days ago #55224

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 175
I'm just glad they are going to at least send you the extra plug. It really is a beautiful hilt. Hopefully, when you get the part you need you'll feel better about it. I know that was hard with the long wait.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 3 days ago #55239

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
jadehawk wrote:
You are probably correct. In the virtual saber program where we picked the asp parts that make up the saber. the switch assembly only has 2 holes. But the "Kickstarter Pledge" did include the Champion electronic kit maybe this is where the confusion started. I indeed have the Champion electronic kit but it never said that it supported in-hilt charging. Maybe I can add that feature in the future? since the hole is already there. I was contacted by Melissa and she said she "can" send me the extra plug. But that was the end of the conversation so far. I am sure she will contact me again with final details I hope she also adds the missing screws to complete the stand..

SF sabers come standard with at least two switch holes, whether they need them or not. On initiate (empty) hilts, both get a cover, Warriors get a latching switch and a cover, Champions get a momentary switch and a recharge port, and heroes have another hole drilled for an extra momentary switch.

There is a plan for adding recharge ports to ASP down the line; I think they reason they didn't launch the champion kits with them was a combination of keeping it simple and keeping the cost of the kits down (hence the swappable battery instead of a wired pack like regular champion installs).

Though you could add a port yourself; over in THIS THREAD is a link to the recharge ports SF uses that it fits in the 12mm hole, and several forum members (myself included) plan to see how to add it to the champion kits when our ASPs arrive.

Hopefully everything works out in regards to the missing pieces! Other than that, is everything else working properly? Have you adjusted the board settings to your liking?
Forum FAQ
Last Edit: 2 months 3 days ago by Jaden Korr. Reason: Fixed link

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 2 days ago #55267

• jadehawk
just ordered a lighted av switch to match the purple blade color and replaced the non illuminated one that came with the saber.. also ordered the recharge plug from the bay just need to find the wiring info for the soundboard I have. I don't know if the board supports battery charging of if I have to get that separate..

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 2 days ago #55273

• jadehawk
Just took some extra pictures..

And 2 Videos (Unable to post both links in this one post!) Camera did not record how loud the idle sound is in person. I love it!

20160507_114323 by Paul Mejia, on Flickr
Last Edit: 2 months 2 days ago by jadehawk.

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 2 days ago #55274

• jadehawk
other video:

20160507_114020 by Paul Mejia, on Flickr

ASP Saber - "Venom" Weathered 2 months 2 days ago #55282

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
jadehawk wrote:
I don't know if the board supports battery charging of if I have to get that separate..

The board is the same as the one in the regular Champion sabers on the main site, and it doesn't have anything to do with battery recharging. The port is connected to the battery, and the shared positive leg and board negative leg are attached to the boards's positive and negative pads (respectively).

If you haven't wired a recharge port up before, here's a helpful video:

Even though the battery in the video is a wired one and the port is different, the principle remains the same. You would just use the positive and negative wires in the battery holder (though if there is a reason one shouldn't use that holder for recharging the battery, please chime in) and the port still has a common positive leg, board negative leg and a battery negative leg.

Unfortunately, I won't be much help on the lit AV switch install, other than to make sure the switch is 12mm (diameter) to fit the hole, the proper resistor to protect the LED, and to be able to identify which legs are for the switch and which are for the LED (there'a a difference). Other boards have you connect the switch LED legs to an accent pad, but the sabercore boards (to my knowledge) don't have them, so I assume it has to go to the regular board positive and negative pad.

They're won't be a wiring schematic available for the board, as SF has never offered either Sabercore 2.0 board for sale by itself before (so therefore no instructions beyond how to change the flicker/volume/sensitivity settings), but when I get my ASP saber in I plan to document it here (though with my luck the 3.0 version will be released by then). You can find a schematic for their Hero tier board, as it is the Spark Color 2 by NEC.

Happy to hear you are enjoying your saber so much. That blade color is gorgeous. What blade flicker do you have it set on?
Forum FAQ
Last Edit: 2 months 2 days ago by Jaden Korr. Reason: Fixed video
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Lazer Forge kill keys (4 Posts)
    • Oops! I'm so sorry! That's really embarrassing. Can't wait to see those though!
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (94 Posts)
    • Just pulled the trigger on my second saber. Main site order, 12W Lime Green Champion Tier Guardian...
    • recharge port vs warrior ... (35 Posts)
    • Quote: Ok so I orderd a reliant initiate for a build that I am paying someone to do and requested no glue...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4353
  • Latest Member: Oro
  • Total Posts: 43.4k
  • Total Topics: 3148
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 11
  • Today Answer: 38
  • Yesterday Answer: 88