Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP "Resilience"

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58061

• Xav
  • Thank you received: 2
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... I backed the ASP Indigogo campaign and ordered my very first SaberForge saber dubbed "Resilience". Yesterday, after waiting patiently for my saber to be built and then flown halfway around the world from Portland to San Francisco, New York & Amsterdam, it finally arrived at my doorstep!

I tried to come up with a clean and balanced design, radiating serenity and strength. Not too agressive but still not to be taken lightly. Here's the design in the Virtual Saber Builder:

And here she is IRL:

The parts list:
Emitter: ASP Emitter 6 (Standard)
Switch: ASP Sinister Prophecy Switch (Black)
Body: ASP Fury Body (Standard)
Pommel: ASP Gladius Pommel (Silver)
Plug: ASP Blade Plug 1 (Silver)
Blade: ASP Blade 37''
LED: ASP LED 12W+ (Deep Blue)
Soundboard: ASP Sound Viridian

According to the Virtual Saber Builder the hilt length should be 246mm (9.7") and total length with 37" blade 1186mm (3'10.7") but I measured the hilt to be 282mm (11.1") and total length 1167mm (3'9.9").

As for my thoughts, well, I have to say I'm very satisfied with the quality of my saber! The hilt feels exceptionally well made, durable and looks fantastic. It really does look even better than the render in the Virtual Saber Builder and exceeded my expectations. A real work of art. The 37" blade is long, easy to replace, very bright at night (as in, lights up the room) and easily visible in daylight. The 5 different blade 'pulse' settings available are a nice touch. The sound from the Viridian soundboard is fun, the blade ignition sound being especially satisfying. The included display-stand is a great addition too and really completes the package.

I had no trouble installing the electronics; simply slide them in, hook the 2 quick-connects up (short lead to the switch, long lead to the LED) and you're good to go. As others have already pointed out, when assembling the saber it's best not to screw the LED unit down and keep the battery-pack dangling out of the bottom while tightening the body to the switch and the switch to the emitter to avoid wire-twist damage.

The only minor issues I have are:
Tightening the actual switch with a flat washer against the curved interior of the switch section is a little tricky; it would be nice if SaberForge included a curved spacer to make that easier. The same goes for the blank switch. As it is now you need to glue that in, some threading would be nice for that.

The switch itself is very sensitive and a little too easy to trigger accidentally while holding the hilt. The polished silver finish also doesn't quite match the matte silver of the rest of my hilt. I might be replacing this when other switches become available.

My order unfortunately didn't contain any spacers and the covertech wheel on my hilt isn't quite directly opposite the switches so I'll have to see what I can do about that. A minor issue but still something that's nagging me.

Finally, it would be nice if the sound volume was configurable on a scale of 0-5 or even 0-9 instead of just mute, low and high. Low is still a bit too loud for my taste, especially with other people in the house.

Overall though, I'm extremely happy with my saber and am looking forward to the ASP shop opening up as I'm sure this won't be my only saber for very long. Well done and thanks SaberForge!
Last Edit: 3 months 5 days ago by Xav.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Leapra

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58063

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 364
My order unfortunately didn't contain any spacers and the covertech clip on my hilt isn't quite directly opposite the switches so I'll have to see what I can do about that. A minor issue but still something that's nagging me.
Email customer service ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) and they'll send them.

I really like your hilt! It looks like it would fit right in with the rest of the sabers in the AOTC gladiator pit fight.

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58070

• Sparrowhawk
  • Thank you received: 18
Very nice design and pics! I especially like the emitter! Do you have pics with a blade in it?!

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58071

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi."
  • Thank you received: 198
Very nice. I see the clean and balanced look you were going for. Enjoy!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58074

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 468
Solid design! Congratulations!

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58077

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I prefer it over anything I've designed on the ASP site. Great design! All the parts work very well together.
:)

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58094

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 459
Xav I like your part combination. Very cool saber design.

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 5 days ago #58129

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
Best part of the design is the emitter by far. Very nice hilt!
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 4 days ago #58158

• Xav
  • Thank you received: 2
Sparrowhawk wrote:
Very nice design and pics! I especially like the emitter! Do you have pics with a blade in it?!

I do now. Here you go...

Artificial light, blade off:

Artificial light, blade on:

Natural light, blade on:

I've been practicing some simple blade tricks with it today and feel that the 37" blade is a little too long for me for that purpose so I will be ordering a 32" blade sometime soon to see if that feels better. I also really need a more recessed and/or less sensitive switch because the standard one triggers too easily while spinning the hilt in my hand.

I managed to mute the volume to acceptable levels for indoor use by installing a thin piece of black foam between the speaker and the inside of the pommel within the body. This doubles as some protection for the speaker itself because the Gladius pommel is completely open on the bottom.

For those interested I also weighed the hilt with battery and all electronics installed.
Hilt only: 514g (18.1oz)
Hilt with blade plug: 540g (19oz)
Hilt with 37" blade: 804g (28.4oz)
Last Edit: 3 months 4 days ago by Xav.

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 4 days ago #58159

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 364
This doubles as some protection for the speaker itself because the Gladius pommel is completely open on the bottom.
There should be a thin grill that caps off the end of the pommel. It sometimes slips out during shipping but if you don't find it include mentioning it in your request to SF customer service for the shims.
Last Edit: 3 months 4 days ago by h2soy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xav

ASP "Resilience" 3 months 1 day ago #58589

• Leapra
  • Alastar
  • Thank you received: 8
Another reason why I am happy I backed ASP. Love the clean look that is a fantastic body on that hilt. Thank you so much for sharing.
I will seek the courage to change the things I can in my life.
ASP Alastar: http://imgur.com/a/DMLt5
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Custom ASP Home Depot/Cor... (7 Posts)
    • The loose emitter is do to the SCH40 ID of 1.049". You won't find anything with a tighter fit unless...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (421 Posts)
    • As long as I can hopefully have the Bastion for my wife's birthday and a con we're planning to hit...
    • New Member Introduction T... (2196 Posts)
    • Welcome to the neighborhood! Now that you have entered this world, I think most folks would agree...
    • Custom ASP Home Depot/Cor... (7 Posts)
    • Slick. Has the whole "found parts" thing going for it. Very slick indeed. Have you given it a name?

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4484
  • Latest Member: Anakin
  • Total Posts: 46.5k
  • Total Topics: 3391
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 109
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 50