Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: ASP Saber Review - "Resolve"

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60459

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 110
ASP Saber Review - "Resolve"

Okay my first saber review of my only saber this will ramble on for a bit before getting the actual review.

A little personal background of how I came to find this hobby, saber forge, and ASP. I've been a lifelong fan of Star Wars. I owe a part of that to my late father who enjoyed sci fi movies and would sit and watch Star Wars and Star Trek with us over and over again. Growing up in the 80's we always watched the movies whenever we could and had lots of the toys that came out. We would turn broom handles and sticks into lightsabers and play. So as a fan I was fully aware of the FX replicas that have come out but was never interested in buying one to sit on a shelf. With the last name Sharp all the bladed weapons I have are fully sharpened and not just decorative wall hangers. Then the excitement of EPVII hits and while discussing it at work one day we happen upon Saber Forge and Ultrasaber websites. I had no idea that there were companies making dual capable LED Lightsabers that looked so realistic. I spent time that night looking over the websites and even visited this forum reading reviews. I really like the designs inspired by the iconic movie, TV, and game lightsabers. I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger on any of the existing designs. When I was on the Saber Forge site I did notice Adaptive Saber Parts builder coming soon. Some time went by and I ended up coming back to the site and finding the builder and IGG campaign. I showed some guys at work and we spent tons of time designing our own sabers. After talking my brother into driving in from Virginia and meeting me and a friend at the Cinamark in Lexington for the Star Wars Marathon on TFA opening day I finally joined in on the IGG campaign for what I felt was a more personal saber without having to go to the custom shop.

So here is the render of my design and parts list.

Now the assembled saber.

I just loved the look of the vengeance emitter and it fit what would be a personal theme of repeating 6's. I was born 6/6/1980, I weighed 6lbs. 1oz., the first Star Wars movie to release in my live was EPVI, I recently got married on 6/11/2016, so the number 6 keeps coming up in my life.

Now for the name which I just couldn't come up with some of the really cool ones like some of the other members of this forum. I choose instead to use a quality I've strengthened most in my life of late my resolve.

Packing: USPS did a number on the box my local post office even putting a sticker on it saying it was received damaged. Opened it up and everything was safely wrapped up or in bags. I was missing the clocking shims and cosplay prints. I emailed CS and the shims came but never got the prints.

Appearance: Being my first saber I really didn't know what to expect. To be honest my mind was blown when I took it out of the bubble wrap. The look and feel of everything was just exactly what I hoped for it to be.

Assembly: Having worked for 16 years as a mechanical designer without instructions it was fairly simple to figure out how to put the parts together without damaging any of the electronics. It went together fast so I could finally see what it looked like but with no clocking shims the placement of parts was not how I wanted it. I did make some of my own before the package of shims came in but neither really get it 100% in line.

LED/Blade/Blade Plug: WOW I did not expect the 12w+ to be that bright! I really didn't expect the light to be so even the whole length of the blade. As for color I could only go with green for my first saber, I defiantly fit more as Jedi Consular with my personality. With the quick connects I might buy other colors like Amber, Indigo, and Mint Green in the future. The blade plug I ordered was #1 which doesn't fit my emitter so they also shipped #4 that looks really good and was the better choice.

Feel: Starting my design with the vengeance emitter I hoped to have a good one handed grip point with it. The overall length comes in right at 13" and the balance point with the 32" blade is right at the tip of the emitter. With the high grip and longer body I can get really fast spins and easy hand transfers. I didn't opt for sound but can make quite a bit with it cutting through the air. Though I would try to find peaceful means I feel like I would be very capable in combat.

Customizing: I did remove the blade retention set screw and cut down a brass thumb screw on the lathe at work. I already bought a bar of 3/8" brass key stock to cut new emitter grips out of. I also replaced all the screws with brass ones. Need to get a brass covertech wheel. Then using some gun blue to weather it all.

Overall: I couldn't be happier with my purchase and would do it again. I really feel that this is not going to be my only saber. After all I did get a stand that holds 3 sabers!
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by jonnys95s10.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, =Ottomatix=, For Tyeth, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, TheGrandAdmiral, ToyKeeper

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60461

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
That is a gorgeous saber, and as seems to be an interesting trend the green LED really fits a weathered hilt, despite the fact the weathering is usually used for dark side colours. It always makes a truly striking image to see a colour like that combined with the darker hilt colour.

Very glad you are happy with your purchase, and can't wait to see what you order next ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonnys95s10

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60467

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
Just more photos

With my Zombie Tools Zakasushi
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60471

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 540
Excellent saber jonnys95s10, nice touch with the thumb screw. I dig the Zombie Tool!

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60476

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 138
Really like this one. Congrats! :cheer:

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60484

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1702
johnnys95s10, that's a 6xy looking Saber you've configured. ;) Love Vengeance Emitter and your DIY with the weathered Thumbscrew compliments it well. Beautiful to look at and (I'd imagine) beautiful to hold. Congratulations and Thank you for sharing. May You Live Force Long and Prosperity Be With You, Always. :P

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60515

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Thank you for the back story! You should have made your login name "Sixes". That would have been awesome!

On to the saber....I had no idea that emitter shines so well. The body you chose is one of my favorites as well. This is gorgeous. Congrats on your personal saber!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60520

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
=Ottomatix= wrote:
Excellent saber jonnys95s10, nice touch with the thumb screw. I dig the Zombie Tool!

Thanks Ottomatix! After spending some time with my saber I realized the balance point of the 2 was the same distance from my grip point. Plus they use weathered aluminum on the handles. I just noticed you Pabst R2D2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60521

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
HotRod wrote:
Thank you for the back story! You should have made your login name "Sixes". That would have been awesome!

On to the saber....I had no idea that emitter shines so well. The body you chose is one of my favorites as well. This is gorgeous. Congrats on your personal saber!

Thanks Hot Rod! I didn't even think about it. My logins and screen names have been jonnys95s10 on everything since 1999.

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60531

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 644
Very nice composition! Glad to see it all works and met your expectation!
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Execute66.

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60576

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
Very nice indeed! The weathering with green LED is a different but awesome combination. It works very well with your saber design. Congrats!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60978

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
I do product design and application recommendations for a snap & button company. We do a lot of work for automotive seat suppliers. I was looking through my box of samples and found a nice piece of perforated suede in a really dark brown. It has a good backing on it to keep it from stretching out so it will wrap nicely and I can stitch it closed. With my saber design I'm thinking of doing the switch and recessed ring of the emitter. With the high hand grip I keep using I think it will add some comfort.

The cut strips of leather.

A mock up of what it would look like.

What does everyone think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, OvrcAHst

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60981

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
That'll look pretty cool, not to mention unique!

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 5 months ago #60987

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Looks so good it looks like it was meant to be made that way!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 4 months ago #61030

• OvrcAHst
johnnys95s10, unsure if you're tabulating results by Poll to determine your decision, I'd Vote 'For'. Nice pickup of the material and creative application with use. Would you continue this wrap around the Grip Body also or limit it to the two chokes?

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 4 months ago #61053

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
johnnys95s10, unsure if you're tabulating results by Poll to determine your decision, I'd Vote 'For'. Nice pickup of the material and creative application with use. Would you continue this wrap around the Grip Body also or limit it to the two chokes?

I decided to mock it up today and I really like the feel if it. Just thought I'd post to get opinions and possibly give others ideals.

As for the body I have #2 which doesn't really lend itself to wrapping. I would leave it with only the choke points.

I'm going to cut new grips for the emitter and already bought some brass for them.

I might do some longer ones for the body.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by jonnys95s10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, OvrcAHst

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 4 months ago #61055

• OvrcAHst
:ohmy: Wow, your schematics look to be clinically calculated with precision, impressive. And you will Post some pictures of the result, right Mister? :woohoo:

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 4 months ago #61056

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 540
jonnys95s10, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product :woohoo:
What type fasteners did they use to secure them?
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by =Ottomatix=.

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 4 months ago #61073

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
:ohmy: Wow, your schematics look to be clinically calculated with precision, impressive. And you will Post some pictures of the result, right Mister? :woohoo:

Thanks OvrcAHst! 16 years doing drafting and design it was easy to take the measurements and 3D model it at work on my break. I'll definitely post updates as get things accomplished with lots of pictures.

I don't have a option in Solidworks to show surface finish but intend to sit and spend some time giving them a hammered finish like my wedding band.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, OvrcAHst

ASP Saber Review - "Resolve" 1 year 4 months ago #61075

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
=Ottomatix= wrote:
jonnys95s10, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product :woohoo:
What type fasteners did they use to secure them?

Thanks Ottomatix! They use a #2-56 socket head cap screw to hold those on. Which seems really small but not putting that much force on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Fly with the saber in you... (5 Posts)
    • That's right, it was the Li-Ion batteries in checked baggage that caused issues. It makes sense...
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (81 Posts)
    • Hey, if you can afford the $300 box, that's a great call. You're sure to get a good deal with...
    • Black Friday Sale! (15 Posts)
    • Yea so I just gone and done it!! HAD to take advantage...needed parts anyway... sheesh SaberForge...
    • Dueling Armor (9 Posts)
    • Realizing a set of black lacrosse gloves with a white panel attached to the back of the hands would...
    • Black Friday Sale! (15 Posts)
    • Quote: CrimsonJax88 Priorities man! Saber’s first!! :ohmy: ;) Haha, I know right, the only other...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6020
  • Latest Member: ydakepo
  • Total Posts: 61.9k
  • Total Topics: 5158
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 30
  • Yesterday Answer: 52