Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP Review: "Remnant"

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63389

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Finally! Presenting my ASP Saber, the Remnant.

I've named this saber the Remnant as I've imagined that it comes from a collection, of "scavenged parts", found by a force-adept, not a jedi, but a person strong in the force. He's a former soldier, now a mercenary/bodyguard, kinda like The Transporter, but you know, in the Star Wars universe.

But really, my love of lightsabers began when I watched Episode 1 in 1977. However, back then "lightsabers" were just eveready flashlights with a coloured plastic tube.

Fast forward to 2015, and Episode 7:TFA. The movie reminded me of how cool these things were, and I wondered if technology had caught up with fantasy. It did, big time! So I started doing research and initially discovered U.S. which I thought was pretty cool. But then I started going to the forums and discovered SF. From then on it became a slippery slope.

Then I learned about ASP! I was on saberparts nearly everyday and couldn't wait till it became live. I've got a couple more designs that may or may not see the light of day but by far this one is my favourite.

I ordered June 18 on IGG, got my build notice June 22. It was picked up by usps July 5, left the US June 9, arrived in Oz July 11, and I received it July 19. I find it so amusing though, that our shipping labels say "LED Flashlight". The circle is complete.

This is what I ordered:
http://www.saberparts.com/#/configure?code=4.167.2.0-3.109.2.0-2.49.2.0-1.19.2.0-7.152.10.0-6.149.4.0-5.143.0.0-8.153.0.0

Parts
ASP . Relic Pommel . Weathered
ASP . Venom Body . Weathered
ASP . Switch 5 . Weathered
ASP . Gladius Emitter . Weathered
ASP . Led 12W+ . Medium Blue
ASP . Blade Plug 4 . Black
ASP . Blade 32'' .
ASP . Sound Crimson

This is what it looks like in the builder:

This is what I received:

It's pretty close to the saber builder image. I was honestly blown away when I unwrapped it. The finish is perfect! It's actually lighter than what I expected but it suits the design really well.

I love the Gladius emitter. Easy to hold and a nice choke point for spins. Unlike the katana which I previously reviewed, there hardly any sharp edges. I think the weathered finish suits it well, and I think the weathering process softened the edges.

Except for rhe Relic pommel which is really sharp. Sharp enough to scratch my arm when spinning. I'll have to file the edges down sometime soon.

The Venom grenade body is easy to hold, and smooth as well. A little small inside, so it takes some finesse to insert the battery pack and speaker. I aligned the sections fairly straightforward, using a combination of two sets of shims.

It's not without problems, though. I was sent the wrong switch, a latching instead of a momentary, and the allen key was missing. But I've emailed cs and got it sorted and shipped back, along with the parts from the katana. Good thing I had the switch from the Katana so I'm using that instead.

Here it is ignited, with the 12watt+ medium blue:

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Gnost-Dural.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, =Ottomatix=, OvrcAHst

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63390

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
Reserved for unboxing video.

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63396

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1702
That's a nice build GD, great use of Parts too. Have always liked Relic Pommel and recently have taken a fascination towards Gladius Emitter. Grenade Grip has always been a definite, never not liked it and I don't think I've ever assembled that configuration in Builder. It's good to see the weathering is consistently done from top to bottom. How are the edges of the individual grooves on the Grenade? Personally, am not sure with the Covertech's positioning. Do you plan on leaving it as it? Great brilliance with the Medium Blue, Thank you for sharing.

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63399

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
That's a nice build GD, great use of Parts too. Have always liked Relic Pommel and recently have taken a fascination towards Gladius Emitter. Grenade Grip has always been a definite, never not liked it and I don't think I've ever assembled that configuration in Builder. It's good to see the weathering is consistently done from top to bottom. How are the edges of the individual grooves on the Grenade? Personally, am not sure with the Covertech's positioning. Do you plan on leaving it as it? Great brilliance with the Medium Blue, Thank you for sharing.

I hadn't realised the covertec was in the wrong spot until you mentioned it! I'm not sending this back as the weathering is perfectly consistent. The whole saber is smooth as, except for the relic's edges. I assume the sanding process smoothened the sharp edges.

The medium blue is nice but I feel like going blood orange in the future. We'll see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63403

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 644
That's very nice, the body + Relic's pommel look exactly like the weathered Relic's. The switch looks quite similar too. The covertech is also at the same location as the Relic's. It's a very practical looking hilt, built for killing! The Gladius emitter suits it. Your photos are what weathered looks like; if you take a look at weathered real life photos/videos of the Relic, then that's what you see. The Virtual Builder's is too black.

Well done!
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Execute66.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gnost-Dural

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63413

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1386
Very nice combination of parts, and finish! I like it!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63416

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
Execute66 wrote:
That's very nice, the body + Relic's pommel look exactly like the weathered Relic's. The switch looks quite similar too. The covertech is also at the same location as the Relic's. It's a very practical looking hilt, built for killing! The Gladius emitter suits it. Your photos are what weathered looks like; if you take a look at weathered real life photos/videos of the Relic, then that's what you see. The Virtual Builder's is too black.

Well done!

thanks, ex66!

i'm a big fan of the relic, and my concept was the relic look, without the side emitters. i'm hoping that sf offers side emitters on asp so i can build my own version.

thank you for your comments about the covertec. the builder shows an inaccurate hole for the screw, and i've been looking at that image for so long that that's where i thought the covertec would be. until ovrcahst pointed it out! funny that i didn't even notice. jedi mind trick!

i'm very happy about the weathering. i did think it would come out as more bluish, similar to gunmetal blue. it came out perfect for the design.

i agree that it does look like an actual weapon. actually, if you removed the blade and hold it from the emitter end, you could do some serious damage. aside from the sharp edges, there's a weight to the pommel that lends itself to be used as a club. not that i'd do that. (yeah, right!)

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63417

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
Brax wrote:
Very nice combination of parts, and finish! I like it!

thanks, brax! i've gotten a lot of good comments when i brought it to work a few times.

i had it delivered to my workplace as there'd always be someone there to receive it, and i've gotten a few snide remarks about buying a lightsaber. but when my co-workers saw it, they were impressed as hell. people were suddenly interested where i got at and all that. i think i even made a few converts.

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63439

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Great initial review! Looking forward to the video review as well. That thing is beautiful but deadly on both ends, ha. :lol: Great choice for your ASP saber though!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63444

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
I really like how your weathering turned out; I'm happy with how mine, but it would be nicer if it was darker like yours.

I have the Venom body piece on my ASP hilt, and that's where the hole is for the covertec knob on it as well, which matches the main site, so I don't think it's a mistake.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63450

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1702
It's good to see the weathering is consistently done from top to bottom. How are the edges of the individual grooves on the Grenade? Personally, am not sure with the Covertech's positioning. Do you plan on leaving it as it?
Perhaps I should clarify my comment made above. Reading the Posts that followed, the general interpretation followed the opposite of what I had meant. The weathering consistency because some Reports shared have had certain pieces of the main 4 supplied (Emitter, Switch, Body, Pommel) differing from the stripped black anodise mixed with the metallic blue or standard finished Parts supplied with weathered finished parts when this wasn't Ordered.

Regarding the Covertechs position, as Jaden has confirmed consistent to his Interceptor and the render on Builder, the positioning wasn't a challenge to the manufacturer but rather with fluidity of the configured Parts and that the Covertech appeared to be an obstruction to wielding grip rather being placed further down towards the Pommel. My question with plans on leaving it was whether the intention was to remove it or replace it with a D-ring.

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63486

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
It's good to see the weathering is consistently done from top to bottom. How are the edges of the individual grooves on the Grenade? Personally, am not sure with the Covertech's positioning. Do you plan on leaving it as it?
Perhaps I should clarify my comment made above. Reading the Posts that followed, the general interpretation followed the opposite of what I had meant. The weathering consistency because some Reports shared have had certain pieces of the main 4 supplied (Emitter, Switch, Body, Pommel) differing from the stripped black anodise mixed with the metallic blue or standard finished Parts supplied with weathered finished parts when this wasn't Ordered.

Regarding the Covertechs position, as Jaden has confirmed consistent to his Interceptor and the render on Builder, the positioning wasn't a challenge to the manufacturer but rather with fluidity of the configured Parts and that the Covertech appeared to be an obstruction to wielding grip rather being placed further down towards the Pommel. My question with plans on leaving it was whether the intention was to remove it or replace it with a D-ring.

Ovrcahst, sorry, I misinterpreted your query. But to answer your question, no, I don't feel the covertec is a hindrance to grip. Two hands can fit within the guard and the wheel, for a power strike; or the off hand can grip the pommel, positioned behind the wheel, for a slashing motion. I've never considered removing the wheel, as I plan to get some sort of clip in the near future (open carry!).

Also, I think I was lucky to have the weathering applied consistently, as I've seen some sabers with varying degrees of darkness all in the same hilt. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw really, with SF.

I'm thinking of getting another saber with the Venom body in standard finish, and I feel that with no weathering, the edges will be sharper than the weathered version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63490

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Happy to hear that it doesn't impede your grip. My missing covertec wheel and screw should be here soon, so I'll be able to try it out myself.

Now that I think about it, a standard dual tone finish venom body, in theory, shouldn't be sharper than a weathered one, since both start as all black and the dual tone has it completely removed from raised surfaces, leaving black only in the recessed areas. On my weathered hilt the few areas that were sharp where ones that either remained all black or had very little removed.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 4 months ago #63508

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
Jaden Korr wrote:
Happy to hear that it doesn't impede your grip. My missing covertec wheel and screw should be here soon, so I'll be able to try it out myself.

Now that I think about it, a standard dual tone finish venom body, in theory, shouldn't be sharper than a weathered one, since both start as all black and the dual tone has it completely removed from raised surfaces, leaving black only in the recessed areas. On my weathered hilt the few areas that were sharp where ones that either remained all black or had very little removed.

fair enough. looking forward to getting at least another saber with the venom body. hoping that crossguard emitters become available in ASP.

ASP Review: "Remnant" 1 year 3 months ago #63660

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 342
Very nice. That is a very nice weathering job and I really like your choice of parts. Being a Gladius owner myself I have to agree with you about its emitter-it is awesome. Congratulations!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Happy Thanksgiving (5 Posts)
    • Wishing all who celebrate the American Thanksgiving a time of reflection, happiness and...
    • AGONY - Ronin Mk 3 ( pic... (10 Posts)
    • Thanks to all who have had a peek and posted the kind and encouraging comments. I can honestly say...
    • Fly with the saber in you... (5 Posts)
    • That's right, it was the Li-Ion batteries in checked baggage that caused issues. It makes sense...
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (81 Posts)
    • Hey, if you can afford the $300 box, that's a great call. You're sure to get a good deal with...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6021
  • Latest Member: Minesniper
  • Total Posts: 61.9k
  • Total Topics: 5158
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 33
  • Yesterday Answer: 52