Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27)

ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27) 6 days 13 hours ago #66200

• RolandofGilead
  • Thank you received: 9
I still haven't been able to get the Jade aligned. I'm pretty discouraged and thinking of cutting my losses and putting it on ebay. I don't really want to spend more money to send it to a sabersmith, that sort of defeats the purpose of ordering something to put together yourself. The HR I'm still happy with, but I'm in a situation where I wouldn't keep it if I didn't keep both of them. Any last ditch recommendations for alignment?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27) 6 days 11 hours ago #66205

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1208
RolandofGilead wrote:
I still haven't been able to get the Jade aligned. I'm pretty discouraged and thinking of cutting my losses and putting it on ebay. I don't really want to spend more money to send it to a sabersmith, that sort of defeats the purpose of ordering something to put together yourself. The HR I'm still happy with, but I'm in a situation where I wouldn't keep it if I didn't keep both of them.
That kinda sucks. How does your GF feel about the alignment? To guess with the difficulty you're having the pieces will still be loose. Can you Post a picture with how you would prefer it to be aligned? Don't have the Parts myself but Shims, Sanding & O-Rings aside I would think there's a way. Revisiting the Parts in ASP Shop, Emitter=female and Switch=Male and tightened by default=(starting Post picture) right?

The benefit of an All-Black switch is the threads are black too. How much is left if you tighten it short? Can you explain why the Sanding and Shims don't return success?
Any last ditch recommendations for alignment?
Pending your replies above, (without understanding why right now the ineffectiveness of Sanding & Shims) is it an option to short tighten it and glue in that part, minimally exposing some or part of the thread and shortfill it with an O-Ring? :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandofGilead

ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27) 6 days 6 hours ago #66218

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 421
I'm assuming shims won't work because the switch section has the same OD as the actual threads, so the shim might not lock against the switch, but pass right over it. That's fine.

Sanding should still work. To align ASP parts, you always sand/grind down the female-threaded section - so you should never touch a switch section. The body will be easy enough to knock down. For the emitter, you'll want to remove the control box before knocking the threading down.

For big changes I'll hit the female section with a coarse file until I'm close. Then I fine tune the depth with some 80-grit sandpaper. CLEAN THE THREADS AND CHECK ALIGNMENT MULTIPLE TIMES BEFORE REPEATING GRINDING. I had to re-do alignment on my ASP hilt because some aluminum dust got caught in the threads and made me think the grinding was less effective than it was. I'd clean it up and find out I'd sanded too far. I had to throw a washer in and repeat the sanding - an option you don't seem to have the luxury of.

The female threads are a lot longer than the male threads, so you can remove plenty of material from the body and emitter while still allowing the switch section to fully secure.
Last Edit: 6 days 4 hours ago by Kouri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, RolandofGilead

ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27) 14 hours 55 minutes ago #66460

• RolandofGilead
  • Thank you received: 9
Well guys, this story has a happy ending, after all.

I said, "heck with it," and filed down the threads themselves until the Jade was adequately aligned. It's looking great, will keep the sabers after all. :) If I were to do it all over again, I would simply order an already completed Jade Fire. I highly recommend doing that, rather than building one through ASP. If you have next to no knowledge of working with metal, aligning it is daunting.

Overall, it took a bit of elbow grease, a bit of trial and error, but this little project turned out rather nicely, in the end. Thanks to everyone for the advice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, Kouri

ASP-Hawked Retort and Jade Imposter (Updated 8/27) 10 hours 55 minutes ago #66466

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1208
Thanks for the update RoG and am glad a favourable outcome was returned. Two Sabers up is much better than the potential alternative, two Sabers down. I'm going to ask it, Pictures Man, or it didn't happen! :lol: Share the fruits of your recent success.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Kylo Ren (Kouri's WIP) (7 Posts)
    • Took some time today to machine a belt clip. Not an exact replica, since I wanted this clip to take...
    • Etsy Restock? (11 Posts)
    • I wanted to get one before school started, but that didn't work. I still wanted one as soon as...
    • V3 Luke ROTJ LDM|Story so... (3 Posts)
    • Curious how it'd look with ASP plug 4. I only mention because, from what I remember of the V3, it...
    • New Thin-Neck Dueler Comi... (12 Posts)
    • Quote: Next important question: which LED color? Not sure why, but this one looks like a yellow to me.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4500
  • Latest Member: stephen.morici
  • Total Posts: 46.7k
  • Total Topics: 3419
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 109
  • Today Open: 7
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 31
  • Yesterday Answer: 52