Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Tribute ASP Saber Review

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 5 months ago #67613

• Renfrik
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi saberforge's forum. I received yesterday the asp saber I ordered the 17th of September. It cames fast and complete. It dont really have (or need) a name but I like it to be a tribute to the expanded universe.
The saber is made of the following part :
  • Jade Emitter (Dual Tone)
  • Jade Switch (Black)
  • Vigilant Body (Dual Tone)
  • Graflex Pommel (Weathered)
  • Green 12W LED
  • A latching black switch
  • A momentary segmented black switch (useless for the moment)
  • Warrior plug and play kit

It cames also with a saber stand (wich was a hell to mount) and a blade plug I didn't want and didn't like (the ASP blade plug 1 in silver finish)

It's my second saber. I own a RGB VV FLEX wich was very expensive but also very well made. I've never built any lightsaber for now.

The hilt :

It's exactly what I expected, here it's what it looks like in the builder (except for the finish of the pommel) :

And now what it looks like in real :

I'm really pleased it matches my design on the builder. I took time to design it, to be my personal lightsaber. I very like the design of the Mara Jade's saber but I wanted the hilt to look more "masculine" so I decided to change the body part and choose the vigilant body wich was 1) canon 2) had a low profile fake switch bar 3) lot of greeblies 4) a coherent look with the emiter and the switch sections. I chose also to turn the switch section black to remind me the look of the grenade part of Obi Wan's thin neck saber. I chose green led cause it fit my personality and I think it's the color who works the best (with red led) on led lightsaber. I had time to compare them with my rgb saber and that's what I've concluded but it's just my personal opinion.

Here a pic right to my graflex so you can compare the length of the hilt (with the v4 blade)

The saberforge v4 infinity blades are really different than vv blades. They are much heavier and they use a different method of diffusion. The v4 blade is "frosted" and the diffusion film is glued inside. The vv blade is sanded and the diffusion film is lose and smaller. I prefer the vv blade because it looks more like what a lightsaber should look in reality and they are lighter but the v4 blade fits perfectly my graflex and the method of diffusion makes the rgb color to appear more clearly so i dont complain. It's great.

The build :

I have more issues about this subject but I dont really complain because it was again what I expected, being a topic reader and a youtube video viewer I knew some parts could not align at first build and angles could be very sharp at some points. I used the shim pieces to make it align almost perfectly but I dont like these shim pieces, I can see and feel them so later I will try to sand the thread to align the pieces a proper way.
I sanded down some angles that was really hurting my hand on the 2 fake control boxes.
The threads between the switch and the emitter piece matched a strange way but this is fine for now. We'll see in a couple of salary to do a total rebuild of the hilt.
No pics needed if you look at it from few steps you cant notice anything.

Conclusion :

I think I like it more than my graflex cause I hold it better in my hands and cause it's mine.
I dont know what to had... no sound for now but it's ok, no rgb but anyway I dont like it with the vv blade, bad building but I will fix it in the future.

Hope you like both saber and review.

I will anwser back your questions the best I could.

Sorry for bad english and MTFBY
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Execute66, Greysider, Borommakot, OvrcAHst, jonnys95s10

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 5 months ago #67637

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 110
Another great design Renfrik in the ASP review section. I really like your choice of parts and mix of dual tone, black, & weathered finishes. Awesome job!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Renfrik

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 5 months ago #67641

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 430
Nice looking saber. Great design!

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 5 months ago #67642

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 713
Nice design! It reminds me a little of the Jade Fire saber because of the emitter.
"I am the Senate"

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 5 months ago #67651

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Awesome saber you've put together there. I'm a fan of dual-tone finishes especially when they alternate as yours does. Congrats.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 5 months ago #67666

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 345
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but that really is a great and creative design! Congrats!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 2 months ago #71053

• Renfrik
Quick Update :

I installed a Spark 2 in my asp saber.
ASP HILT
GOTH 3D Igniter2 All in One chassis
Spark 2 R2 from NEC
Speaker/recharge port/switch/kill key/blade plug from KRSabers
3 fonts (SIGIL/RUBAT/DURINDFIRE) from LordBlako

And because pics are always better :

BUILD PICS :

And bonus a video :

Feel free to comment and ask anything. Remind that it's my first build. It was very interesting to do, I learn many different things. Hope you enjoyed and MTFBWY
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Renfrik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst, Thelegorn

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 1 month ago #72066

• Thelegorn
  • Thank you received: 5
Woah, the design is awesome and you did a great job with the customization.

Tribute ASP Saber Review 1 year 3 weeks ago #73171

• gostarkgo
  • Thank you received: 1
This is really cool looking. I think that Jade Emitter is gorgeous. I've designed a similar one. Parts should be arriving soon.

Tribute ASP Saber Review 5 months 1 week ago #81000

• Renfrik
So here I am again :)

The spark2 doesnt work anymore (my soldering lessons cost me 120$...)
So I bought a couple of Nano Biscottes (2 V3 and 1 V4) because we can now have them directly from french companies.
The 2 other NB are for other projects (LS6 by Korbanth and a gift).
The entire saber have been rewired and I made some modifications to make it stronger and easier to wield.
I've learned from my past mistakes and now the wiring is more professional and durable.
The sound is better and louder than before.
The emitter can be easily removed and I plan to do an "acid etching" with the salty water technique.
I don't know for now what I'm going to etch so if you guys have some ideas feel free to advice me.

Here are some fresh pics

Now its almost perfectly aligned. It has a confortable grip but still some relief.
The control box at the top is gone but I kept the metal sheet to cover the hole.
It makes it look repaired and there is some shine through.

The useless activation button, The greeblies behind have been replaced by set screws to make it more confortable

The big screw at the bottom holds the chassis and the rubber joint at the pommel helps for having a better resonnance.

I put some copper wire around the neck. It adds some color and an original trilogy feel to it (the pictures doesnt show it well)

Same GGB Tri Cree led (no custom settings for the color on the NBV3 but that's fine)

The Saber Armory blade plug.

The shine through and the black non-lit 12mm av switch.

A small resonnance chamber but it's loud enough, but still less than my VV Graflex
There is a pad on the pommel to protect the speaker just in case, it doesnt impact the sound.

The chassis and the NB V3 with access to the sd card, no wires exposed.
Just a bit of glue on the board to hold it to the chassis.

Saber on with a custom blade

You can see better the neck and a gold accent in the greeblie at the top of the emitter.
Greeblies and screws at the emitter face each other but have angle from the rest of the saber. it's not 90°.

Thanks for reading and MTFBWY

Tribute ASP Saber Review 5 months 1 week ago #81014

• Rhyno
  • Platinum Member
  • MTFBWY
  • Thank you received: 114
Renfrik Nice Saber!
Do you have a family crest/coat of arms? if you do that would be a good idea for an etch.
There is no Light, There is no Dark, There is only the Force!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • I will work on that. Single Sinawali lays the ground work. Actual double weapon combat has the basic...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • Thanks for all the responses! Really appreciate it!
    • Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • Looks great! I understand that this is a drill, but can you show it at full speed as part of a flow...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • One more thing. Brightness is really important to me, so most of my saber decisions revolve around...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6775
  • Latest Member: Darth Draigus
  • Total Posts: 67.6k
  • Total Topics: 5714
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 59