Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: New Asp Saber "unnamed"

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69739

• Sentique
Hey all! I finally have my saber complete today "ordered the wrong switch" and I wanted to get some input on it.
I love the hilt and attention to detail that was put into each piece. The one thing I am confused about is the brightness of the saber itself.
I ordered a 12w+ Arctic Blue, and i was pretty underwhelmed with how it looks, was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or it it is normal.

The saber looks brighter in pictures than it actually is, will be uploading pictures of the hilt very soon, thank you for all input.

Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by OvrcAHst. Reason: insert image
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69744

• DarkJedi_7
  • Thank you received: 19
Yeah mate same issue when I received mine, make sure your battery is fully charged.
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by DarkJedi_7.

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69749

• Sentique
I charged it for awhile, the charger shows the green light, from what I've read, that means it's fully charged : / Does it look dim to you?

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69752

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
If this is your first saber, yeah, it's normal for sabers to look different from the pictures. The white-blade-with-colored-aura is basically a camera trick from the sabers putting out enough light to overpower the camera sensor and adjust white balance.

In-person, you should have what basically amounts to a solid-blue blade. If that's the case, you're golden.

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69753

• Sentique
I'd say it's a dull blue throughout the blade, it's not bright though, looks like someone just painted a stick a pastel blue

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69757

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Hmm~

Take the blade out, light up the saber, and point it at a wall. Do you see four distinct points of light - two blue, two green?

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69763

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 505
With the LED switched off, remove the blade, look inside the emitter. Take a close look at the LED itself. The plastic lens should be clear not soiled by fingerprints / marks, and make sure there are no burnt out LEDs. Everything should look clean and clear. Also, check your V4 Infinity blade at the base where the glue and film meet that no extra, unwanted glue is blocking any light.
"I am the Senate"

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69764

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Just to make sure this isn't a brightness vs. expectations issue:

Yeah, in person the lightsabers will not have that solid white core you see in the movies. A lot of people, I think, go in expecting that. That appearance shows up on camera, but you won't actually see that in real life. What'll happen as the light gets brighter is the intended color, the blue, will become more bold and uniform and the glow will be a bit larger. So ideally the lightsaber will wind up looking just a uniform color in this scenario.

As an example, while my deep red blade may look like this in a photo:

what it actually looks like is this:

but with a much larger glow.

However, if the blade is so dark that you can still see the whitish color of the blade stock through the light that may be an issue. For me that has typically stood out in amber blades.
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Snakeeyz99. Reason: Wording

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69779

• DarkJedi_7
  • Thank you received: 19
The "aura" effect can change from different qualities of camera.

Typical high res smart phone camera

and Ipad mini camera (also helps with a other light sorce).

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69784

• Sentique
Hmm looking at that, maybe my expectations were just to high, i didn't expect it to be like on the website, just didn't expect it to not be so bright

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69787

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Yeah, it's weird when you can't really know what to expect. To know what the blade will look like exactly you basically need to see one in person, either at a Con or from a friend's collection.

If you're looking into a way to increase brightness, you may be able to try out a shorter blade. The change in brightness can actually be very stunning. For comparison, here's a couple shots of my 12W+ deep red and a 3W red (one die of a RGBA setup) with a 37 and 26 inch blade. You can see a definite change in illumination uniformity especially in the deep red blade. Of course, it's a photo so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69789

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
I had the same reaction when I received my 12w+ Cyan LED, which is similar to Arctic Blue. As I recall I was a bit underwhelmed.

However, on a full charge, and the LEDs seems to "bed in", it was bright, but not too bright. Kinda like a ocean blue green. I now think it's pretty cool. My favourite colour, then Medium Blue and Deep Red.

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69796

• masters
In all honesty is sounds like one of your LED dyes is faulty.

It is worth mentioning that all the "mixed" colors are substantially less bright than the non-mixed colors.

Thus arctic blue, cyan, yellow, purple, and other mixed colors will not look as bright as your standard red, green, deep & light blue.

If you want the brightest saber possible, you need to go with the non-mixed colors.

New Asp Saber "unnamed" 6 months 3 weeks ago #69836

• Sentique
I think I may have found the problem, I let the sabers battery go low to check the charger, when I plug it in, it still shows green. It's been plugged up for a couple hours and it hasn't charged any at all
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Han Solo Movie Loses Dire... (25 Posts)
    • If this is even remotely true, not only were the two directors fired for good cause, it makes Ron...
    • PS-Luke V2 done (24 Posts)
    • Final internal photo's of this install, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna put the Graflex logo clamp on once...
    • Dark Brown Leather Wraps (1 Posts)
    • Hello! I'm considering ordering a 12w medium blue warrior tier disciple with the dark brown leather...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5263
  • Latest Member: SithLordShrek
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4687
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 21