Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP "Dark Crusader"

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 3 days ago #71434

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 216
I'm going to assume my first thread I typed up (like, 3 hours ago?) didn't post because I forgot to scale my images down from 3.5MB each. If it somehow appears, mods plz delete it and keep this one.

So here it is! My "Dark Crusader" is all its glory! Now I need to make a Sith OC cosplay to go with it...

The parts! I added some extras to the original build - Graflex pommel, Coupler 1 x2, Coupler 4 - since I didn't know how I wanted it to end up. Went with a Red Day Blade since at the time the 37" V4s were sold out (and I already had one with my Vanquish). Glad I did, as I really like the effect it gives, especially with the blade flicker.

A note about the 06 Body: It actually has a shroud over it, so it could be used without for a different look or even add a custom wrap, since its a smaller OD.

Success! The hardest part was getting the lock nut on the switch and recharge port. I still may end up just gluing them in. After messing with the timing shims trying to get it to line up right I decided to do something else.

Took the Coupler 4 from between body and switch and added it to the bottom with the Graflex pommel instead of the 02 Pommel, and took the covertech knob off - I put a button head screw from the Vanquish (which was extra since I took it out to add a covertech to that hilt) in its place. After playing with the timing shims for quite a while I decided on an off-center switch position. Otherwise I'd have had to sand/grind down some threads.

Final Parts List:
Dissident Emitter
Coupler 1
10 Switch
06 Body
Coupler 4
Graflex Pommel
Champion PnP kit (Crimson)
Medium Red LED
Black Segmented A/V Switch (Red)
37" Red Day Blade

I'm actually somewhat disappointed in the Medium Red LED. It's not very different from the Red LED in my Vanquish, and seems to be dimmer (in both V4 and the day blade). Probably going to end up ordering a Deep Red LED since I've read such great things about it on here.

I went over to TCSS and threw a bunch of fancy 8/32 thumb screws in my cart to replace the boring set screws for blade and LED retention. The fact that you can clearly see the hole for the blade retention screw in the black anodizing bothers me a bit. Any I don't use I can always save for later. With the Coupler on it my two-handed grip is just below the LED retention, so screws that stick out won't bother me. Total noob when it comes to spinning but they should be fine for that too I think.

I also appears that the "Elite" plugs are still the ones that are given out on promos. I ordered on the New Years promo and asked for a Round Cog (silver) but got a bronze Elite instead.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by KelbornX.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, For Tyeth

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 3 days ago #71441

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
Very nice saber!

As for the pictures, yes there is a size limit, and it is fairly small. 800k if I remember correctly.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 2 days ago #71454

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 505
Very nice! And don't you just love that Red Day Blade?
"I am the Senate"

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 2 days ago #71457

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Yes, I love the Red Day Blade! Going to order an Indigo LED and Purple Day Blade for it. :P The clear poly makes it more "luminescent" than the white poly blades. I had an Ultrasabers grab-bag saber in Sunrider's Destiny (which I think is similar to Mint Green?) that looked great in the clear poly blade that came with it.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 2 days ago #71485

• Darth Squidious
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 49
I have never even tried to get the lock nuts on the switches and plugs to work so I always use a drop of super glue. The nuts are flat and the hilts aren't not to mention getting anything in there to tighten them. I just put them in the junk drawer, maybe I'll try loading them in a 12 gauge shell.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 1 day ago #71498

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Yeah I feel you on that. I just didn't want to glue them in first then decide I wanted to swap the order. 12ga shell does seem like a good place for them to end up.

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 1 day ago #71499

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 819
Hi all,

Or you could try this little trick to help secure your switches into your hilts...Skip to 6mins into video to see it.

kind regards,

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 5 months 1 day ago by For Tyeth. Reason: Autoplay doesn't work
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap

ASP "Dark Crusader" 5 months 1 day ago #71501

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Oh wow, that's nice trick. Next time I order some bits from TCSS I'll have to add some bezels to try that out.

EDIT: Just ordered a pair of the 12mm MHSV1 bezels to try that out with (along with a quad-wrapped Corbin-style blade). If they don't fit right I'll try the V2s when they're back in stock.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 day ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

ASP "Dark Crusader" 4 months 3 weeks ago #71938

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Small Update.

Got in the order of various screws from TCSS, the switch bezels, and some extra LEDs (Frost White, Deep Red, Indigo) from SF Etsy, and a purple day blade.

Swapped out the blade retention set screw for a TCSS Red Acetal Thumb Screw (had to file it down a bit), and am now using the SF Round Cog blade plug and Kill Key. Also swapped out the Medium Red LED for Deep Red.

The MHSV1 12mm AV Switch Bezels were not the right size to work inside the 10 Switch. I think the MHSV2, being a smaller ID, would work better. When they come back in stock I'll try that little trick again.

I tested the various LEDs with the hilt disassembled, so no pics of that. I did not like Frost + Red Day Blade; looked wayyyyy too pink. Frost + Purple Day Blade is mostly the same (a tad brighter) as Indigo + Purple Day Blade -- a soft bluish purple. Indigo in the V4 blade is nice, but not the right feel for this saber so I'm saving that for another hilt at some point (along with the Frost).
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

ASP "Dark Crusader" 4 months 3 weeks ago #71941

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 819
Hi KelbornX,

Sorry my mistake, I hadn't considered the inside diameter of the hilt being different. I focused on the non flat edge of the bezel being contoured and thought that it would work and cinch up when the locking nut tightened. I hope you get better results with the next set of bezels you get.
If not I apologise.

For Tyeth

ASP "Dark Crusader" 4 months 3 weeks ago #71942

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
It's all good. It'd be nice if there was a list of the ID/OD of the ASP parts. These almost worked, but weren't quite the right fit. And if the MHSV2 doesn't work either at least I'll have figured that out for everyone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

ASP "Dark Crusader" 4 months 2 weeks ago #72007

• GenericSteve
  • Thank you received: 5
I use little rubber o-rings between the nut and the inner surface of the hilt, lets the nut get super tight, and means I don't have to glue anything.

Does get a bit fiddly with the ASP Gladius switch section, but even finger tight is easily enough to keep things in place.
Just the basics

ASP "Dark Crusader" 2 months 4 weeks ago #74068

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
After shooting pics of my Consular yesterday... kitchen lighting is sooooo much better than my dark computer room haha!

I made some other changes to this since the last pics anyway. I put the emitter back to being in-line with the switches, and have a different blade plug (ASP 04). The emitter is also secured to the switch section with Loctite, as is the Graflex pommel to the 04 Coupler.

(and yes, that is a giant beer stein in the back... birthday present from me to my dad haha)
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Han Solo Movie Loses Dire... (25 Posts)
    • If this is even remotely true, not only were the two directors fired for good cause, it makes Ron...
    • PS-Luke V2 done (24 Posts)
    • Final internal photo's of this install, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna put the Graflex logo clamp on once...
    • Dark Brown Leather Wraps (1 Posts)
    • Hello! I'm considering ordering a 12w medium blue warrior tier disciple with the dark brown leather...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5263
  • Latest Member: SithLordShrek
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4687
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 21