Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP Staff - Finished

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75884

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hey guys, in between packing my house up and writing papers I had some down time and I couldn't help myself so I pulled my wiring kit out a box and I finished putting this baby together.

Turned out as good as I could imagine, the light is blinding and the sound is deafening. I'm a big fan of the crimson soundboard. Also getting all the wires to fit was an incredible challenge but it all turned out great.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, Nate_Owen, scifidude79

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75885

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member

One of my favorite details of the sabers are the blade plugs I got from the darth ryo Goth3designs shapeways store, they were a fun little side project to put together and the quality is amazing and the look fantastic in the saber lit up.

We spoke a little about this on my previous thread about this build, but the nature of this hilt makes it not only an awesome staff but also a great pike/great sword style saber.

Obviously it feels amazing to finally have this project tied up, the saber is more brilliant than I could have hoped and every little detail came together so well. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me figure out the build process and gave me general input on the hilt, you all helped make my dream hilt come to life.

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75886

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
More detailed shots of the plugs:

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75887

• Nolaan
  • The Fencer
  • Thank you received: 21
That looks amazeballs!!! Very unique :cheer:
It's never too late to go back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SadiraOrphesu

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75912

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 282
gotta get me some of those!
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75913

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 97
You just need to cut down a 26" blade to ~12" for the base of the staff as an extra blade. It will look awesomer and still leave you with 2 full size blades when they're separated.
"Hold on to 16 as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men." - John Mellencamp

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75915

• Nate_Owen
  • Thank you received: 1
I've always been an enthusiast of traditional katanas but reading through this forum and I think I may need to add a new type of swords to my hobbies :) these are cool!
Life's too short to not have a custom katana ;)

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75920

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Thanks all im so glad you like em!

Squidious :If you're talking about the blade plugs you totally do (or he has a cool arc reactor blade plug too here's his step by step with pictures: http://goth-customsabers.ftl-network.com/log/arc-reactor-blade-plugs/) I couldn't give them a higher recomendation, the brass pieces are a bit pricey for a blade plug because they are solid brass not plated but for a special build the 3d printing produces an amazing clean look out of both materials, the final products really speaks for itself as you can see from the pics.

Wamphyri: I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Right now I've got a 32" in the main emitter with a 26" in the pommel and the balance is actually great. Having a hilt that is double the length of a normal one really helps balance the juggernaut emitter.

Nate: Welcome! Get ready to get sucked into the world of lightsabers because once you hold one of these In your hand its kind of an addiction, plus what sword collection would be complete without at least one light saber (or 5+) :lol: :lol: Plus on a more real note plenty of guys on these forums and all over the sabering community are trained martial artists who use their experience with real weapons and translate it into sabering. Not to mention with all the new star wars hype there are more options out there than ever before when it comes to making a personalized light saber.
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nate_Owen

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75921

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 509
I'm not usually a fan of asymmetrical staves... but somehow this one works for me. I love how it looks as a pike with no blade in the Stinger end. Those plugs are a nice touch too.

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75931

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 174
Awesome design and amazing work on it :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75977

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 316
This is an awesome saber, great work. I love how it's Darth Malgus inspired on one end, but the end is more subtle. I think huge claws at both ends would have been too much.

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 3 weeks ago #75991

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Thanks guys! I'm so happy with everyone's reactions to it, Honestly, as a noobie to this whole scene it's such an honor to have the experienced people whose work I've been studying for the past couple of years through these forums and other groups compliment the first real project of my own.

I'll give a little background on my sources of inspiration and the "character" I built this for for those who are interested:

So to begin, I was born in the 90's so my first real memory of Star Wars, of course, was the prequel trilogy. Growing up Darth Maul was basically the coolest SOB bad guy I could imagine. Needless to say, his light saber was an obsession of mine. Anyway, when he is first introduced he is a menacing figure in black on tattooine stalking qui gon and his band of misfits and in his first fight he only uses one blade of his staff giving the impression that his saber hilt is just strangely long. Then, the next time he appears he ignites one blade in challenge to Obi Wan and Qui Gon and ignites the second blade afterwards revealing his possession of a saber staff. This revelation absolutely blew my mind, as a double bladed saber was just unimaginable to me.

Beyond this, the idea of a "sith assassin" holds more appeal to me than the concept of the classic "sith lord". So not a person who craves total dominion over all, as much as craves the ability to harness and maximize inherent internal power and combine this power with skills like agility and stealth in order to be an un-defeatable opponent. When I started playing SWTOR, the cut scenes with malgus drew my eye because of the brutal look of his saber and his fighting style. So when I started to think of this saber I wanted a saber that looked brutal, one that would look as much like a brutal weapon as it could with the blades ignited or not. In my head, my assassin character wears the axe strapped across his back and when he ignites his blade he begins with only the main emitter ignited. This gives the impression of a standard saber with a long hilt for added reach and draws attention away from the "pommel". This leaves the pommel blade to be used as surprise attack if need be or, much in the way Qui Gon was killed, allows for a fatal stab to be given when the opponent is standing behind without having to reverse the saber.

I'm definitely planning on putting together a costume to bring this character fully to life but that is the general concept in my head that led to the creation of this beast. Thanks for reading and commenting, and as I always I'm super excited to see everyone else's creations! MTFBWY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 2 weeks ago #75996

• wamphyri13
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 97
What I was referring to was getting an extra blade and chopping it down like the quillions on Ren's saber. The blades are supposed to be adjustable. So for display purposes, you could have the Malgus side with the full blade showing and the other end with the stumpy blade on like a pop out spike. It still leaves you with both full size blades for dueling whether used as a staff or as two separate sabers. Just a thought. I like options. :-) Either way, you've constructed a great looking saber/staff that looks like it belongs in the SW Universe more than it looks like someone selected premade parts. Great work.
Ryan
"Hold on to 16 as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men." - John Mellencamp
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by wamphyri13.

ASP Staff - Finished 9 months 2 weeks ago #76001

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Oh I see what you mean, yeah that would be awesome :woohoo: when I have some more disposable income I'll have to get a bunch of blades and cut them to various utility sizes :lol: :lol: then it could be everything from the quillion-length to an extra long dual phase lightsaber style blade like this:

Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • I will work on that. Single Sinawali lays the ground work. Actual double weapon combat has the basic...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • Thanks for all the responses! Really appreciate it!
    • Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • Looks great! I understand that this is a drill, but can you show it at full speed as part of a flow...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • One more thing. Brightness is really important to me, so most of my saber decisions revolve around...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6775
  • Latest Member: Darth Draigus
  • Total Posts: 67.6k
  • Total Topics: 5714
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 59