Threaded Indented

TOPIC: My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82242

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 174
That title is quite a mouthful, I know :P
After having ordered and gotten my two first sabers last year September/October (A Gladius and a Reborn), I didn't just make myself a long time fan of sabers, but the wife managed to catch the bug as well :lol:
As soon as we started playing with the hilts we had, both me and the wife discovered how much fun they were; not just as play toys for ourselves or with friends (many a party here at home has ended with a round of lightsaber fighting outside), but also for decorating the apartment and just for extra fun during certain events (the premiere of Rogue One last year was definitely memorable, as most people looking at us went all; 'oh how childish, lightsabers, blablabla...' until both of us ignited the light and sound on the sabers and before we knew it we had 30-50 people surrounding us wondering whether they 'could just have a few seconds to play with them and take a picture?' :whistle: :evil: ;)

So it was no surprise that as soon as I had gotten in my new sabers, I wanted to expand and wanted to do so using the ASP system.
Currently my 3 projects are still in progress (unfortunately my sabersmith had met with some delays, as well as some delays with the ASP-system itself - long story short; they're being finished now and hopefully I'll be able to share them ASAP here), but around May/June my wife decided to also get into the hobby, as she felt that - even though the Gladius and Reborn are nice and the Reborn has an Indigo blade - she felt they weren't 'hers' and wanted a lightsaber that she could call her own.

Thus she started using the ASP app and came up with the following design; a lightsaber that would hopefully evoke a My Little Pony feel, with lots of bright, sparkly details and of course all the colours of the rainbow :lol:
The powdercoating has been done by a close friend of my sabersmith, but who asked me to refrain from mentioning him, as he was just okay with doing the job and preferred to not be known - hopefully that's no issue ;)
Because of the before mentioned delays, my wife was however a bit afraid that she might not have the saber here before certain events we're attending here in Norway during November and December, so we decided to transfer the commission from our sabersmith to our very own Darth Squidious here on the forum, who luckily had an open schedule that allowed for him to help us out.

Major props to him from both me and the wife; both of us were amazed at his fast, yet also high quality work and his communication and help during the entire process.
We received the saber a week ago, but unfortunately we were on vacation back in the Netherlands to visit my friends and family, which didn't allow us to pick up the package until yesterday.
The reason it took so long was because customs in Norway is pretty strict and therefore had hogged the lightsaber for several weeks, but we were overjoyed to see that they hadn't done any damage - which is again a big thank you to the Kraken, who packed everything very as safe as possible (including additional items like a lightsaber whip, axe blades and such that my wife ordered when she ordered the ASP parts).

I will refer to our own Squid for further details on the internals, but just to show what an amazing guy he is; he made a special blade plug to fit with the theme of the saber (My little pony, rainbows, unicorns, disney princesses, etc.)! :woohoo:
Other specifics as far as I know are;
- Emitter 04
- Switch 04
- Body 09
- Pommel 10
- Prizm 5.0 soundboard
- 6 soundfonts; Alien (Shameem), Swarm(Origin), Savage Opress (Saberlink Studios), Ghosts of the Grey (LordBlako), Soul Stealer (Novastar) and... Sparkle (Shameem) :lol:

Unfortunately my wife and me got a cold in Holland (very nice way to spend your vacation days...), so we're still coughing and sicking it out a bit, so we haven't yet tried out the saber in action outside, but hopefully we'll soon be up and going and we'll be able to share some images of us in the snow.
My wife is also going to be updating the saber here and there in the future (adding some bling or extra sparkles), to really make it her own.

Overall we're just really pleased, both with the powdercoating work as well as the install done by Darth Squidious (a definite recommendation to all here on the forum) and we're very happy to have our first RGB saber - we're still fiddling a bit with the colors and the sensitivity settings, but all of that will come in time (it's a bit hard finding the right colours without immediate feedback; without R.I.C.E. you just have to edit the files and hope for the best).

More photos coming; both soon as well as in the near-future when the wife is customizing it a bit herself.

For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Dauntless 7, For Tyeth, OvrcAHst, Darth Squidious

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82243

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
A few colors ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Dauntless 7, =Ottomatix=, For Tyeth, OvrcAHst

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82248

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 509
Looks great! Are those RGB 12mm AV switches?! I need to source a few of those....

I agree, it needs some more sparkle! 5mm rhinestones fit nicely on the switches. ;)

What colors are you trying to nail down? I may or may not have extensive experience in this area. :lol: I just made an AWESOME "bubblegum pink" with my GCS Ascend: 1023,700,400 on RGrB. It doesn't photograph well though (camera picks up too much red). I think that would fit her saber pretty nicely. A Yellow/Gold Flash on Clash (680,1023,50) pairs well with it.
Last Edit: 4 months 5 days ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, CrimsonJax88

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82249

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1057
Hello Mrs CJ88,

I am so glad your Unicorn has arrived. That white powdercoat looks fantastic! I was worried it would make the saber look like an I-Pod, you know flat and plain, but I am pleased to say that isn't the case. It actually reflects light better and shows off the saber's shapes really well.

If this beauty's sweeping lines are anything to go by, I can't wait to see the 3 projects Mr CJ88 has coming.

So Mrs CJ88, I hope your Unicorn serves you long and well, but please don't beat Mr CJ88 at saber combat too often ok!

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrimsonJax88

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82251

• Armymedic1975
  • Thank you received: 43
Oh great now my wife wants something similar thanks a lot lol

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82253

• Sylabus
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Love it's ridiculousNess! My two cents on upping the girlishness: a nice big old sparkly ribbon/bow where the emitter and switch sections meet. Or as rhinestones were suggested, put a few in the 6 or so oval-like areas on the emitter. Heck if you wanted to, you could get a pink, white, purple, blue, yellow, and orange individual rhinestones in honor of the current "mane" 6 character if MLP is a liked thing/influence. Though, I think just one color would work better, probably gold/yellow. Standso out a bit more from that magenta like color a bit.

/2cents
"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." ~Monty Oum

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82256

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 114
This is priceless... you fellas know more about unicorn colors and blinging up a saber than I do. ;) :lol:

Good suggestions and look forward to seeing more of this fun pretty saber custom evolution. B)
Last Edit: 4 months 5 days ago by Dauntless 7.

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 5 days ago #82258

• Shai Kah
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Almost the exact same saber my girl wants to get!

Makes her want it more! lol! Looks great!

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 4 days ago #82289

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
Hehe, thanks everybody for the compliments; my wife was delighted to read all of your comments and quite surprised (and proud) she managed to imagine a hilt that was unique enough for others in the saber community to be impressed by it - she thought somebody would've at least tried out some wacky concepts like these :P
Of course even though the idea was hers, most of the credit goes to the ASP system for making it a possibility as well as the guy who powdercoated the beautiful saber and Darth Squidious for making it truly a saber with 'all the colours of the rainbow'.

She said she'll definitely be adding some sparkles and might do some rainbow accents and liked the idea of using rhinestones in different colours (she does the entire scrapping, crafting and decorating of cards, so she's got enough little stuff lying around to be used).
However, she was going to see first how the hilt felt and all so she wouldn't rush anything and regret it afterwards (she's very creative, so ideas keep coming to her - she already has ideas for a Steampunk lightsaber :woohoo: )
Shai Kah wrote:
Almost the exact same saber my girl wants to get!

Makes her want it more! lol! Looks great!
Hehe, cool, I have to say Emitter 04 didn't really do it for me, but seeing it now up close and with some colour splashed on it, it's definitely something I can see myself using in a future ASP project.
Armymedic1975 wrote:
Oh great now my wife wants something similar thanks a lot lol
Hahaha, imagine me hearing her for the first time saying; I want one!' and me telling her she could borrow the Reborn because it had a purple/pink/indigo colour and her putting her foot down and telling me no :P
KelbornX wrote:
Looks great! Are those RGB 12mm AV switches?! I need to source a few of those....
I think so yeah, although I'll have to refer to the Squid for confirmation, but I want to say 99% - they really add that extra rainbow-flair.
KelbornX wrote:
What colors are you trying to nail down? I may or may not have extensive experience in this area. :lol: I just made an AWESOME "bubblegum pink" with my GCS Ascend: 1023,700,400 on RGrB. It doesn't photograph well though (camera picks up too much red). I think that would fit her saber pretty nicely. A Yellow/Gold Flash on Clash (680,1023,50) pairs well with it.
Oh please share! :woohoo:
Right now I've been looking at different saber sites and the Prizm/Plecterlabs manual with good color codes, but they're really hard to find and it's even harder to figure out the best way to balance the ones that are on the saber pre-installed because there's no direct feedback;
pulling out the SD card, changing the values and then putting it back in to see the result is very annoying, had I known about R.I.C.E. before I would've asked for that - or something along the likes of the SaberCore 3.0 (I think you can adjust color there besides sensitivity and soundfonts?) or the Electrum Unity App.

I mostly just want the basic colours that the movies and the Legends material show (Red, Blood Orange, Amber, Yellow, Lime Green, Green, Mint Green, Cyan, Blue, Indigo, Purple, Pink and White) but something like Bubblegum pink would indeed fit extremely well with the vibe of this saber :woohoo:
So if you have any charts that could help me out, I would be eternally grateful :blush: ;)

Oh and congrats on an awesome looking saber as well; those rhinestones indeed work beautifully and I just love that with powdercoating, etching and the likes everybody's lightsaber is getting more unique and feels more personal; like a true Jedi/Sith should have it.
Last Edit: 4 months 4 days ago by CrimsonJax88.

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 4 days ago #82290

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 114
The best part about personal customizations is that you are the only person in the entire world that has this saber... regardless of any others who attempt to copy the design. :unsure: :whistle:

Does the saying go like this... " Imitation is the greatest form of flattery " or something close to that.

Steam punk is getting quite popular for saber mods and customs. B)
Last Edit: 4 months 4 days ago by Dauntless 7.

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 4 days ago #82292

• Armymedic1975
  • Thank you received: 43
Im just glad I was the first to come up with my concept lmao. Sure its easy to copy but most would go with the red LED as opposed to the green that I chose

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 4 days ago #82293

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 509
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
KelbornX wrote:
Oh please share! :woohoo:
Right now I've been looking at different saber sites and the Prizm/Plecterlabs manual with good color codes, but they're really hard to find and it's even harder to figure out the best way to balance the ones that are on the saber pre-installed because there's no direct feedback;
pulling out the SD card, changing the values and then putting it back in to see the result is very annoying, had I known about R.I.C.E. before I would've asked for that - or something along the likes of the SaberCore 3.0 (I think you can adjust color there besides sensitivity and soundfonts?) or the Electrum Unity App.

I mostly just want the basic colours that the movies and the Legends material show (Red, Blood Orange, Amber, Yellow, Lime Green, Green, Mint Green, Cyan, Blue, Indigo, Purple, Pink and White) but something like Bubblegum pink would indeed fit extremely well with the vibe of this saber :woohoo:
So if you have any charts that could help me out, I would be eternally grateful :blush: ;)

Oh and congrats on an awesome looking saber as well; those rhinestones indeed work beautifully and I just love that with powdercoating, etching and the likes everybody's lightsaber is getting more unique and feels more personal; like a true Jedi/Sith should have it.

The Facebook groups have a lot more interaction with the community at large, so that's where you'd see most of the information like what you're looking for. Definitely give the manual a good read or three before making any changes. The default colors are a good baseline.

The Electrum Unity app is really nice. I've gotten so used to the text edits that RICE would probably slow me down at this point LOL. It also doesn't play nice with LEDs that aren't RGrB. Do anything crazy like RRG, RO/G/W, or LG/CY/PCA you're S.O.L. on the color picker.

Also, if you need me to explain how the Flash on Clash works on Plecter boards... I have a copy+paste novel ready to go from the FB group. :lol: While Erv tries his best in the manual, being a non-native English speaker and being far more technical minded than most users leads it to not be very clear on some points. He also assumes that you know how a board from 10 years ago did things and skips over that part.

Assuming you have an RGrB (Red, Green, Royal Blue) LED:
  • Red: 1023,0,0 --- you can also do 1023,0,30 for a "crimson" red
  • Blood Orange: 1023,150,0
  • Amber: 1023,900,0
  • Yellow: 650,1023,0
  • Lime Green: 300,1023,0
  • Green: 0,1023,0 --- you can also do 115,1023,0 more a more "ROTJ" green
  • Mint Green: 0,1023,80
  • Cyan: 0,1023,180-250 (depending how green you want it)
  • Indigo: 120-200,1023,0 (depending how much blue you want or not)
  • Purple: 330,1023,0
  • Pink: 1023,700,400 is a "bubblegum pink"
  • Pink: 1023,0,550 is a "hot pink"
  • White: 350,1023,500 is a good base, but you WILL need to play with the Red and Blue some to get it "just right"; because of the individual binning of each LED White is pretty hard to nail down
Last Edit: 4 months 4 days ago by KelbornX.

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 4 days ago #82295

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 282
I'm so glad that the saber arrived in Norway, I was having heart palpitations when USPS wanted to send it into the void, apparently they took it upon themselves to add a zero to the Norwegian postal code, which happened to match the zip in Atlanta. Not that the package had NORWAY written on it or anything.

Anyway an hour on hold and I straightened them out and it was on its way overseas in a couple of days.
(I'm not exaggerating either, literally an hour on hold.)

So yay!

The saber is running a Prizm with an RGrB and all the trimmings: bass speaker, 3d chassis and an internal recharge port. I'm on a quest for some better chassis to hold recharge ports, I needed to modify this one a bit. Maybe I should design one for shape ways.

And yes those are two rgb switches from tcss.

Over the weekend Jax and I had a little back and forth as the swings weren't registering well, happily a quick update to the config files solved that problem. I was having nightmares about guys in a customs warehouse somewhere having lightsaber battles...

Jax and his wife have been awesome through the process, as well as all the other folks involved.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 2 days ago #82323

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1880
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
a lightsaber that would hopefully evoke a My Little Pony feel, with lots of bright, sparkly details and of course all the colours of the rainbow :lol:
The fusion of three personalities, delivered as a single subject. ;)

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 2 days ago #82358

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
And to think the wife is only this girly on these kind of subjects; daily life it's all death metal, Cards against Humanity, horror movies and tattoos :lol:

Thanks for all the info and help, I think we've figured out a nice colour set now with the standard lightsaber hues and some bubblegum pink (more pics coming this weekend) and once again a big shout-out to Josh for doing a great job - I'm really just waiting for my 3 projects to finish, so I have an excuse to make a new commission with him (right now my wife is being the strict parent, being all 'wait till the others are finished, then you can order a new one' :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

My Wife's Princess Rainbow Unicorn Dash 4 months 1 day ago #82378

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1880
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
And to think the wife is only this girly on these kind of subjects; daily life it's all death metal, Cards against Humanity, horror movies and tattoos :lol:
:lol: I'd bet it's that very variety and mutual interest that sees you both together. Only you'd know whether the Little Pony is on the inside with deathmetal on the out or opposite. :P ;)
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • I will work on that. Single Sinawali lays the ground work. Actual double weapon combat has the basic...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • Thanks for all the responses! Really appreciate it!
    • Serious discourse for dua... (18 Posts)
    • Looks great! I understand that this is a drill, but can you show it at full speed as part of a flow...
    • Redeemer (aka Obi-Wan sab... (6 Posts)
    • One more thing. Brightness is really important to me, so most of my saber decisions revolve around...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6775
  • Latest Member: Darth Draigus
  • Total Posts: 67.6k
  • Total Topics: 5714
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 3
  • Yesterday Answer: 59