Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Bane.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Champion Tier 12w+ Indigo Bane

Champion Tier 12w+ Indigo Bane 1 year 1 month ago #59180

• WyvernClaw
  • Thank you received: 9
Following up my review of my Hero Tier RGBA Descent now comes my review of the Bane. Both are my first ever sabers. While I already reviewed the Bane and the Descent review actually came second, I was unaware that trying to post with images that are too large for the forum to handle would result in the post timing out and disappearing, so I shall write it once more.

First of all, I must say that as with the Descent, the Bane is beautifully crafted and pretty much everything I expected. Also as with the Descent, I shall begin with the minor issues I had (and they really are minor) and them move onto to everything great about it.

First off, when I originally placed my order over 3.5 months ago, the Bane was available in a number of finishes, and I selected the weathered option. However, about a week or so after ordering, the listing was changed to being only available in the standard black/silver dual tone finish. I inquired with customer service about this, figuring that since at the time of my order it was advertised as available in that color that my request would be honored. However, I was then told that for whatever strange reason that the Bane was only available in standard at that time and my request would NOT be honored even though, again, it was advertised when I ordered. Therefore it's not quite the product I dreamed of when I bought it, but I don't hate the dual tone either, so it's fine. A coupon or little extra throw-in would have been nice, but no big deal.

Secondly, the underside of the emitter shroud isn't quite symmetrical, one side doesn't quite meet with the center claw the way the other one does. That may be easily fixable, however, and is not a huge issue by any means.

And the third and final minor issue is that I was sent the wrong size allen wrenches for the Bane. It uses one of the screws that hold the shroud together as a blade retention screw, and it's a little larger than the standard blade retention screws on other sabers. Unfortunately, one of the claws on my Descent was slightly loose as well and required the same size wrench to tighten, so I needed it for that reason also. However, I'm fairly sure Saberforge would have mailed me the correct size, had I asked, but it was easier to just go to the hardware store and get a new set with the right size (as mentioned in my Descent review, so no real problem there either).

Now, for all the good parts... The finish is well done, even if not the ideal color that I wanted. I've heard many complaints about the Bane's claws being sharp enough to cut, and while the edges on mine aren't perfectly smooth, they're only a little rough and it causes no issue for me. The 12w+ Indigo LED is extremely bright and almost exactly what I wanted for the color. Surprisingly, the 3w colors of the RGBA Descent don't look dull at all in comparison, but that's a huge bonus for the RGBA setup and not a downside to the 12w+ single color in the least.

Next, the soundboard. I, of course, went with the Crimson sound font on the Sabercore board. It's loud and clear and the effects of the hum and clashes are quite aggressive. Very suiting of the hilt design, I would say. It's obviously not as tweakable as the Spark Color 2 board of the Hero Tier sabers, given there is only one LED color and one sound font, but the options that are there (volume, motion sensitivity, pulsing effect of the LED, etc.) are more than enough and the on board menu is easy to understand and navigate to configure these options.

The curved grip takes some getting used to, but it's fairly comfortable and just looks unique and cool. The Bane is actually the only curved hilt design to really catch my interest so far and I love the aesthetic of the claws and all the edges. Lit up with the blade in, it looks fantastic.

Here's a few last things, also found in my Descent review. A shot of the new kill key, for one. I don't have an old one to compare it to, but here it is anyway...

...And here is the blade plug it came with, next to the Descent's.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this. Again, the only issues I have with it are quite minuscule overall and I am otherwise quite happy with it. And just because I have room for one more image, here is a shot of them side by side.

Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by WyvernClaw.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64, OvrcAHst

Champion Tier 12w+ Indigo Bane 1 year 1 month ago #59181

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
What Hilt's are next on your List? ;)

Champion Tier 12w+ Indigo Bane 1 year 1 month ago #59182

• WyvernClaw
I'm not too sure. I may stop with these, though I sort of want a saber with a single color 12w+ green LED and maybe a 12w+ red, or perhaps one of those deep/photo red LED's I've seen.

Collecting guitars (and of course, playing them) is my main thing, and it is much, much more expensive than sabers, haha. But I've loved Star Wars since I was a kid (though only having that love re-ignited since Force Awakens came out) and always wanted a decent quality toy lightsaber when I was a kid, but never got more than the plastic pokers. Hopefully these fill that long-standing want, but I will probably end up with more at some point. I do quite like the Venomous Fury and a couple others, might go with that or maybe even a custom some day.

Not sure I can justify much more money on these things than I have in these two already, but I've found ways of convincing myself thousands of dollars worth of guitars and other music gear was worth it to me, so we'll see. ;)

Champion Tier 12w+ Indigo Bane 1 year 1 month ago #59184

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
:woohoo: Impressive Collection. I'm no guitar player or owner of, however can still show appreciation. It seems that your Sabers may have a revisit when Episode 8 is released. :lol: Well done, not just for your Collections of guitars but to your Bane and Descent.

Champion Tier 12w+ Indigo Bane 1 year 1 month ago #59186

• WyvernClaw
OvrcAHst wrote:
:woohoo: Impressive Collection. I'm no guitar player or owner of, however can still show appreciation. It seems that your Sabers may have a revisit when Episode 8 is released. :lol: Well done, not just for your Collections of guitars but to your Bane and Descent.

Thank you! Took many years to get all of those guitars, and felt like about the same amount of time to finally receive my Bane and Descent after ordering them! Haha.

Champion Tier 12w+ Indigo Bane 1 year 1 week ago #61529

• hugomontoya
  • Thank you received: 8
hi WV.
Thank you for the great review of the bane. Coincidence that you and I are fellow canucks and have a liking for this saber. Im in the waiting list for a weathered hero-tier bane. I hope i dont run into the same predicament as you where they said they are all-out of weathered finishes :S
Despite the issues you had encountered i am glad for you that you got your product and are overall pleased with it.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5312
  • Latest Member: WilliamsRet
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0