Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Bane.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14603

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
Just got my bane in a little while ago, and took some pictures, and posting up a quick overview and first impressions.

First off, tho, I'll start with my personal history with the Bane. When I first saw the renders, I was very unimpressed. I didn't get the lure or the draw of the curved hilt, having never personally handled or used one before, and thought it seemed like just too much over-hype over a rather simple design. it wasn't until the Bane saber was officially unveiled that I suddenly, and completely, fell head over heels for the design and aesthetics of the hilt. I made a purchase immediately after they were listed on Etsy, and waited impatiently for several long weeks...

Over the past few days I've seen others get their Banes in, and begin posting some pictures. They instantly made me a little nervous; in their pictures, the Bane looks huge! A thick, heavy pommel, a far-too-large curved grip section with over-sized... well. Everything. I got nervous that perhaps... I had jumped the gun on this one, and should have waited for some more reviews and the like to roll in before purchasing one. Perhaps I had made a mistake. My impatience, and anxiety over the saber, increased ten-fold...

Until today.

Today, I got in the package... (and co-incidentally, my mask for my cosplay made it in today too! HOORAY COSPLAY! Now I just need my robe back and my custom saber to come in, and that will be completely, 100% done. =D) and I slowly opened it, because I was very, very nervous about what I was going to find inside. I pulled out the blade... perfect condition, btw, tip is perfectly aligned and fully seated, a lovely sign... unwrapped the bubble wrap, and took the Bane in hand.

And all my anxiety disappeared. The hilt fits in hand perfectly. It is a little larger than some of the other models, but it FITS. There's the perfect amount of space on the grip section for two hands, but it's light enough that it can be easily used with one hand without a problem. The pommel is not threaded on, something I already knew, but instead actually bolted into the hilt, much the same way that the shroud/blade retention screw is... the blade retention screw, btw, is not the standard size as every other SF saber, but actually a bit larger, and is one of the two screws on either side of the shroud, which has been drilled through to be multi-functional. The shroud itself does have a few sharp points, especially along the emitter side, but they have filed off the worst points where you grip. I am still going to take my file to it and round off the edges just a little bit more; they're just a little uncomfortable in the un-protected palm. The grip section itself is solid, and offers a very solid, stable grip. The claw lines up perfectly against the blade without getting in the way, and looks pretty fantastic, I think. Overall the detail and level of design intricacy in the saber is nothing short of purely astonishing.

So, some pictures!!

Overall, I would rate this saber a solid 8 /10. 8, because I still don't quite get why the curved saber is so much better than the straight hilt (to me it feels pretty much exactly the same), and because of the few sharp edges around the shroud, but they're an easy fix. I love the fact that they added in-hilt recharging to the Warrior tier, it's pure awesome, and I love it. I can't imagine taking this pommel off every time the battery needed charged would be a fun endeavor, it's pretty much on there.... for good!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14608

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
Being of a covetous nature, and harboring envy are a couple of those 7 deadlies as I recall, and I am guilty on both counts! :blink: :woohoo: :S
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14612

• TVW007
  • Thank you received: 5
Its beautiful man. I can't speak for curved hilts because I only read what was described in the Bane series. But the curve was supposed to give more leverage for powerful strikes and an aggressive style.

Also from the book a more legendary/mythical answer: it led to a less predictable swing which facilitated the Sith when trying to offset the force from the person he was fighting as the force allowed for some anticipation of movement during the duel. This is why the book described two force sensitive people fighting as being a blur because each could anticipate the other so quickly there was no real thinking it was like fighting on an instinct and resulted in some really quick sword play.

How this the aggressive striking translated in real life I have no idea :). There is only one style blade/hilt I have ever seen with a curve in this way. I can't remember the name of it but it looks like a machete and people who like this blade swear by it.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by TVW007.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14622

• thekraken8him
Very nice! The hilt looks so high quality. I'm glad it survived the trip. By the look of that box, it had a rough ride! :pinch:
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14624

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
I am just going to have to get one so that I can form an objective, and educated opinion!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14625

• Jyn-Toar
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 17
There's a weapon called the falcata, but the blade is curved inversely, not the hilt.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14633

• Ribber
  • Thank you received: 16
It's so much larger than I expected! Now I'm doubly anxious for mine to arrive...
May the Force serve you well.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14634

• Lord Callous
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not without mercy. Surrender and you may live."
  • Thank you received: 61
Congrats! I can only hope that I am now days away from the utopia you are experiencing this very moment.
"Destiny is a lie. Fate is the falsest of hopes. I am beyond prophecy. I forge my own path by making the difficult choices..."

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14654

• chaoticneutral
  • Thank you received: 3
oh my god I have never seen such a beauty haha. personally wasn't a big fan until I saw it today in these picture. Now I really want one.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14666

• Luno-Jay
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 56
I feel like the wicked witch checking out these pictures "soon my pretty, hehehe"
Awesome review man, such. Beauty! Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: VentaCassus

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14668

• Ramaloke
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
The curved handle is interesting, it's definitely a good look and just about any of the blue LED options make it look sweet. From a functionality standpoint, a 'slightly' curved handle allows a little more finger flexibility and a quick snapping action of the blade in the hand, like a French grip on a piercing weapon like a foil or epee (in fencing). Not quite as useful in a saber style weapon. It's thicker grip size and exaggerated curve probably take away from that function a bit.
Probably overthinking it but still is a cool design. Hope you really grow to like it with a little more use :cheer: !

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14680

• DeLano80
  • Thank you received: 8
Nice looking saber! I was wondering if you could tell me about the hilt? Is it metal or plastic? I am curious because I see a seam going down the center and it looks like it is two halves. Plastic would make more sense to use on this design because it could be molded. If they are metal that would be some very spendy five axis machine work.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14683

• Knytiri
  • Banned
There is a seam going down the middle because it is two halves, but it is NOT plastic. SF never has and never will make their sabers out of plastic, they use T6061 aircraft grade aluminum for their saber hilt construction, which is very durable and very lightweight.

The Bane is not a "lathed saber"... it is molded and cast and finished in two seperate halves which are bolted together. They do it this way to get the intricate level of detail on the hilt... most other curved or bent hilts you will see are lathed as straight then heated and bent, which destroys detail and fine work on the hilt, so you'll notice most of the body pieces are rather simple, with the unfortunate sideaffect of looking something like a bent sink pipe (to me, at least...) whereas the Bane has a very high, intricate level of detail in the body itself.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14684

• DeLano80
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping that it wasn't plastic. I was just saying it would be easier to make it out of plastic. I did not think of casting. I think you just put me over the tipping point on this one. By the way, T6061 aluminum is pretty standard stuff. I always find it funny when people say it is "aircraft grade". Most everything that is made from aluminum is 6000 series. In aircraft they do use a lot of 6000 but also 7000 as well .

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14685

• Knytiri
  • Banned
Well seeing as how there's different classifications of aluminum, never hurts to be specific. :)

And, like I said, SF never has and never will make their hilts out of plastic, so rest easy on that one :)

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14686

• Luno-Jay
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 56
AMEN BROTHER!!! plastic..lol

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14699

• darth kee
  • Thank you received: 3

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14702

• DeLano80
I did not mean to be rude about the grade of aluminum. It is just a pet peeve of mine when people say "aircraft grade" aluminum. It is a marketing ploy like "copper river salmon". Most people do not know what 6061-T6 even means. 6061-T6 is by far the most commenly used aluminum out there. So please don't think when you buy something that is 6061 aluminum, you are getting something extra special. Also if the Bane is cast aluminum, then it is not 6000 series. That doesn't exist. It will have a much lower tensile strength than 6000. Of course though, cast aluminum is plenty strong for our lightsaber needs!

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14705

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
It is just a pet peeve of mine when people say "aircraft grade" aluminum. It is a marketing ploy like "copper river salmon".
It annoys the hell outa me when I see "fat free" lettuce or "gluten free" milk. Huge eyeroll :pinch:
There is a seam going down the middle because it is two halves, but it is NOT plastic.
Does light escape through the seam?
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by h2soy.

The Bane, Warrior, 12W Artic Blue 1 year 11 months ago #14706

• Knytiri
  • Banned
Let's not turn a review post into nitpicking choice of words here.. lol. Not everyone is a metal.. enthusiast and knows all the differences. Personally I feel calling it aircraft grade makes it sound special. =P

And no. The seam is not open, you can't see inside. The two halves fit together really well.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5312
  • Latest Member: WilliamsRet
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119