Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Bane.
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos!

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16704

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
I know, you came here expecting to see another review, of another cool Bane. Well, you will get that, but the saber is actually scheduled to arrive on Friday. For the moment, this is a teaser where I will tell you HOW I came by this saber, and I can tell you it was not in the usual manner! Just an FYI, I checked with Phil before posting this, and he said he did not care if I shared the details.

For those of you who frequent the Custom Saber Owners Facebook group, you might remember a few weeks ago when Phil put out a quick blurb, asking if anyone had Star Wars Lego models, and that he would be willing to trade for a saber. I figured this was in anticipation of the birth of his first child, though that part went unconfirmed. Anyway, my son still had a BUNCH of these laying around his room, with dust layers of varying degrees on them, so I asked him if he wanted to offer them up. Needless to say, he enthusiastically agreed. So, I posted them. A lot of folks followed my lead, posting pictures of the SW Legos they had laying around, some of which were a lot larger and complex than the ones I offered. I don't know if he made deals with any of them. However, to me he simply responded "What do you want for them?". I asked the owner of them, and he said "A Bane dad!"

So, acting in the role of the negotiator through this whole thing, I traded a few PMs with Phil, and we eventually arrived at a 12w Indigo V2. He offered to put a 12w + LED on it, but at the time Indigo was not available in 12w +. I offered my son that option, but he was adamant about the Indigo. When I passed that on to Phil, he said he would include quick connects so he could upgrade it later.

With all of that settled, I went and bought a roll of bubble wrap, and a bag of Styrofoam peanuts. I wrapped each of them individually, and covered them in peanuts before moving on to the next one. My son was even able to dig up the manuals on all of them, so I included those as well. I put a note in it re-iterating our agreed upon characteristics for the saber, and expressing my appreciation for his generosity. I sealed it up, and sent it off, and waited for word that it arrived safely.

By the end of the week, I had confirmation that it had arrived, but he told me that he was so incredibly busy that he had not had a chance to open it. Still, he added that the saber was being built and would be on its way as soon as it was completed. He gave me the tracking number for it, and I watched it every day since then. On July 15, the label appeared on the USPS system. On August 10, it showed as having been picked up, and in transit for delivery on the 14th. So, the process took about the same time as an Etsy order.

I cannot tell you guys how great I think this is! Granted, it's not really MY saber, but having played the role I did in the process, I feel like it is kind of both of ours with the majority being his. When it arrives, I will add a full blown review to this post, along with all the pictures I can muster the patience to shrink to resolutions small enough to post here. But, I wanted you guys to know that cool things like this are still possible, and that sometimes SaberForge, by way of Phil can make them happen!

I also wanted to take this opportunity to point out that, even in the midst of all that Phil has going on, he took the time to make this happen in a reasonable amount of time. We both got something we wanted, but I really think I got the better end of the deal considering the difference in the logistics, and inherent value of the items.

I look forward to Friday when I can finish this story!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth-Garth

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16706

• Lord Callous
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not without mercy. Surrender and you may live."
  • Thank you received: 61
Ha! Great story! Congrats.
"Destiny is a lie. Fate is the falsest of hopes. I am beyond prophecy. I forge my own path by making the difficult choices..."

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16709

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
  • Judge me by my size, do you?
  • Thank you received: 22
Hell, what wouldn't I do for SW Legos as well? ;)

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16746

• Brax
  • Administrator
TOBLERONE!

It arrived a day early! I will get some review pictures as soon as the kid can put it down long enough for me to do a decent job of it. Stand by!

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16747

• JebidiahJee
  • Premium Member
  • Yub nub, eee chop yub nub.
  • Thank you received: 8
Cool! Can't wait to see some pics with the blade on. The more I see of the weathered Bane, the more I want one!
Hello, World
Everyday I'm Saberin', Saberin'

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16750

• Brax
  • Administrator
So, after all the backstory telling, and the teasing, here we are! The real review. There have been numerous Bane reviews already, so I will try to avoid the obvious things that have been covered thoroughly already. Instead, I will attempt to give it my own spin on things perhaps less "front and center" about the saber.

Let me just say first that I am very impressed with this saber! Is it absolutely flawless...well no, but really...what is? I will say that the imperfections are very minor and nitpicky considering the techniques required to create this masterpiece!

Rather than being something that is created on a lathe, incorporating design themes that rotation allows, this thing is cast in separate pieces that are held together with fasteners in rather ingenious ways, that make them blend into the texture of the saber. I notice a lot of the latest SF designs are moving to the more intricate designs, and I personally think they are doing a great job of it! The imperfections I mentioned earlier really have to do with seam lines that show under close scrutiny. However, when you are looking at the varied lines and textures that this saber is comprised of, you really don't notice unless you want to.

I have to say that I very much dig the way that curves are combined with straight lines, and then combined again with circular depressions, creating a textural flow that one could imagine as being due to so many things in their imaginings on the origin of their Bane. There are rounded surfaces, that intersect with very pointed angular surfaces, and the mix is balanced in such a way that it just WORKS!

The weight of the saber is much lighter than its appearance would have you think. Without a blade, it almost feels too light! With a 32" blade, the balance point feels just forward of the emitter. With a 37" blade, it is noticeably further out. Not to say that it is too blade heavy with the longer one, but the balance does shift forward. I would imagine if one were planning to use this saber with a one-handed grip, a 32" blade would work better, where a 37" blade would pretty much demand a two-handed grip for any but those with very strong forearms.

The saber came without a covertech wheel installed, but there was one included in the box, which allowed us to choose which side to put it on. As the saber technically belongs to my son, he chose the side, and we installed it there. It was pretty obvious that the Covertech was an afterthought, as it is really not designed for this particular saber. The location where you attach it is not the typical rounded surface, it is actually part of the pommel design, which does not really fit the Covertech. Another minor imperfection, but until there are wheels that are designed to blend in better, as a matter of practicality, it will suffice. I will also say that with the Covertech installed, a two-handed grip becomes more difficult, and less comfortable. Without it, my hands (which are on the high side of medium in size) fit perfectly, and comfortably.

Since we went with the weathered finish on the saber, and the Crimson sound font, we obviously envisioned this saber as something of a Darkside affiliate. To that end, the color of the finish, and the aggressive look of the emitter, combined with the beautiful 12w Indigo give the exact look we had in mind. Much cosplay will be planned around this saber, I can assure you!

As for the sound, it is quite loud! The angled pommel, combined with the location of the speaker deep inside allows it to resonate in a way that give the Crimson font a little bass. That could just be my perception, but that is how it sounds to me. As for the Indigo color, I will just say that it is the most true purple I have seen on a saber, and the 12w makes it very bright. Just beautiful! Someday, when the 12w + is readily available in Indigo, we will get one which I am sure will make a great thing, just a little better!

I think Saberforge produced something fantastic in the Bane, and while I understand it might not be for everybody, I think it is one of the most compelling designs I have had the pleasure to behold. The feel of it in my hand makes me feel as if the Darkside is pulsing through my being, which is reinforced by the color of the blade, and the sound coming from it. Bravo Saberforge!

For overall design of the Bane: 9.8 out of 10 (small hit for the aforementioned imperfections)
Sound: 9.9 (because nothing is perfect)
LED Brightness: 9.8 (a little base heavy, which I am sure the 12w + will address, but overall, awesome!)
LED Color: 9.9 (Like I said, best looking purple I have seen)

I have craved this saber since I first saw it announced, and it lived up to all of my expectations! When you consider that I bartered for it, my son and I love it even more!

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16752

• Brax
  • Administrator
Sorry about that last picture. By the time I got done sizing it down to fit here, it was really starting to degrade. But, the color of the blade is what I was really after, and at least it shows that.

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16754

• JebidiahJee
  • Premium Member
  • Yub nub, eee chop yub nub.
  • Thank you received: 8
That was quick! Beautiful. Does the blue really show like that?
Hello, World
Everyday I'm Saberin', Saberin'

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16758

• DaveChill
I love the indigo color on that saber.

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16759

• Darth Titus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Wow, beautiful saber Brax! Congrats!
“Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken…about a great many things.”

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16763

• Drahcir
  • Thank you received: 1
That color looks so nice.
You have a lucky son!

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16764

• Brax
  • Administrator
JebidiahJee wrote:
That was quick! Beautiful. Does the blue really show like that?

To my eyes, it appears as a true purple, rather than a blue. That might just be my old eyes, but I think it is gorgeous!

As for the congrats, on behalf of my son, he thanks you. He is the majority owner, since the Legos were his. However, since I brokered this whole thing, did the legwork, and the reviews (posted on multiple saber forums I might add), I claim 1/3 ownership. This (in my estimation) give me the right to take it to work on occasion to impress those who can appreciate such things, and occasionally to gatherings where it might be appreciated if he has no pressing need for it at the time.

I think that is fair, don't you?

Bane V2, 12w Indigo for Legos! 1 year 10 months ago #16775

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 382
I think that is fair, don't you?
1/3 ownership? If your son is feeling savvy the 1/3 he'll give you is the blade... ;)
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by h2soy.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5312
  • Latest Member: WilliamsRet
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0