Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Bane.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 9 months ago #19620

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
  • There can be no light, without a dark to stand beside it.
  • Thank you received: 67
My all silver Bane finally came in yesterday. Of course, I was at work when they tried to deliver it, so I had to go pick it up this morning. :P

Dat toblerone

As this is my first (new) saber, I got home and immediately opened her up to see what was inside.

The contents were: 1 All silver Bane, 1 32" Infinity Edge v4 blade, a covertec wheel and screw, a charger, and the (I assume) standard Saberforge paperwork.

Crappy headphones not included.

Man oh man, the feel of this saber! The finger grooves on the claw combined with the curve of the hilt makes it fit my hand like it was tailor fitted. After having played with it for a bit now, I can definitely see why people say curved hilts are primarily for one handed use. While you can certainly get both hands on this hilt, with the 32" blade, one handed swinging/spinning is a joy. Though I wouldn't call the process graceful, mainly because this morning was the first time I've had a "fighting saber" in my hand since I was in high school. (By way of explanation, some friends and I used to get together every Friday and fight with the hasbro sabers that came out with the Special Edition OT.) Some of the fancier spinning stuff is probably out of the question due to the claw running the full length of the hilt, though.

Someone a while back asked about the balance on this saber, and this seems like a good time to address that, as I said I would. I'm between 5'9" and 5'11" depending on what gas station I'm leaving, and admittedly a bit soggy around the midsection. With the 32" blade, however, the balance on the Bane is, in my opinion, perfect. Finger testing puts the point of balance right at the end of the top emitter prongs, which is exactly where you'd want it to be. Single handed swinging is, as stated, lively and smooth. Two-handed use actually feels a little more awkward to me; it just feels like your fingers have to be too bunched up to really be comfortable. Though, a quick two-handed strike following up a string of single-hand attacks would certainly make a fine punctuation to a volley.

So yes, the Bane, at least for me, after some practice, will make a very capable single-handed dueler. I see now why a classical fencer like Dooku went for a curved hilt. :cheer:

The 12W Blood Orange is positively beautiful in this saber. And bright. Even fresh out of the box, without charging, I put the blade in and fired her off (because.. come on), and had to turn my head a bit because of the amount of light it put off. The Infinity Edge blade carries the light beautifully, and there honestly isn't as much brightness loss near the tip of the blade as I was expecting. Compared to the 6W green module in the Fury my household recently purchased her on the forums from JediRabbi, the 12W module is intensely brighter. I can only imagine the sun-like radiance of a 12W+.

To demonstrate what I mean, here is a corny mirror shot, where I forgot to turn the flash off on my camera first. Even with the flash, the glow of the blade is obvious, and this was before any charging.

That X-wing pilot almost lost an S-foil.

And here is another, with the flash off, in my fairly dim bedroom.

And for a final comparison, here is the same saber, shot with the same camera, in the same mirror, after being charged for a few hours.

As you can see, a full battery makes a difference! So always charge those new sabers until the light turns green, young apprentices!

All in all, I am beyond happy with this saber purchase. Saberforge has done an incredible job of making a curved hilt that is both elegant and slightly savage. The emitter prongs and claw bring to mind the jaws of some bizarre alien predator (perhaps some kind of deep sea fish with a massive underbite :P ), while the curves and grooves of the hilt speak of a design mindful of comfort and usability.

One last thing I want to mention is that even though my Bane is all-silver, there does seem to be a slight hue difference between the emitter/pommel and the grip. Whether it is due to a material difference, or merely caused by being almost constantly handled since it came off the charger, the grip section of the hilt appears, to the naked eye, at least, to be ever so slightly darker than the fittings. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "Weathered", but it may get there in time.

The color difference doesn't really show well under camera flash, though.

As far as the process of buying goes: Saberforge's staff was top notch throughout the entire process, from responding to my panicked messages where I had forgotten to tell them certain option choices earlier on (like the blade length and which sound font to install), to a couple weeks ago when I asked them for an updated shipping ETA, the customer service people I spoke to were always courteous and prompt.

All in all, I give both the saber and the Forge it came from a 10 out of 10. Definitely looking forward to repeating the customer experience when the ASP system rolls out and I can build my Jinsu Razor. But until then, the Bane has more than enough class to keep me occupied.

The face of a satisfied customer who sucks at taking selfies

Until next time!
Owned: Champion Bane 12W Bl. Org.
Champion Fury 6W Green
Warrior Chosen 12W+ Mint Green
Champion Jinsu Razor v2 (ASP build) 12W+ Red*
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zane Apex

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 9 months ago #19621

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1096
Like Phil says, it is "an instrument of sublime destruction". I have a weathered Bane, that I think is the most uniquely attractive saber in my collection. My Exhalted takes it for sheer beauty, but the Bane just looks (to me) like something a Sith Acolyte would design for his saber, before going out into the galaxy to wreck havoc, and mayhem wherever he went.

Your comments about the balance with a 32" blade line up pretty well with my estimation, as do your estimation of its use in single, or two-handed use. The only thing about it that I might even consider modifying would be the pommel. The conical shape of it tends to efficiently direct the sound in directions that tend to be either down or at least away from ones ears. I heard tell of someone who cut windows vertical window slits into the pommel, and said the volume increase was incredible. Other than that, it is good to go completely as is.

So, I commend you on your choice, and congratulate you on the receipt of your own Bane.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Afadir

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 9 months ago #19622

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
The Sithiness of it is mainly what drew me to the Bane in the first place. In my head, my "in-universe" persona is a (very dark) Gray Jedi gone Imperial Inquisitor, from a Sith-inspired cult on some backwater planet out on the Rim.

The Bane has just the right combination of regal and feral for someone in that position. The all-silver finish (which I honestly chose just because it seemed to be a pretty rare finish on this particular model) just adds to that in my mind. It is very much a saber that says "Let us settle this like civilized people, but, if you wish to be UNcivilized..." then shrugs and smirks like a shark who just saw an especially tasty fish. :lol:

The sound is plenty loud enough for me. Though I can understand why someone else might want it a bit more noisy. I got the Crimson Sabercore, and the only word I can think of to describe it is "throaty". That deep growling hum coupled with optical frequency 3 or 4 is really what makes this blade pop in my opinion. It's also a perfect fit for the Bane. The Veridian font coming out of a Bane just seems... wrong, to me.

Despite my name drop of Dooku, this really seems like a saber more adapted to an especially aggressive form of Niman, rather than Makashi; keeping the off hand free to Force Push or Pull the opponent into a more strategically desirable position for the Bane wielder, as well as keeping the enemy from being able to find/maintain any kind of offensive rhythm.

In more real world terms, it would seem that single hand use would allow for broad, sweeping strikes, while still allowing enough control to pull in for a quick parry/riposte, or to flash out for a feint that turns into an unexpected lunge. The hilt is big enough to allow for an occasional two handed power strike, but isn't so large as to overly encumber one-handed use.

Too long, didn't read: It's a damn nice design!

I thank you for your kind words, Brax, and am happy to join you in the Bane Owners' Club!
Champion Fury 6W Green
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Afadir.

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #21804

• Darth Nexus
This saber is soooooo damn nice ... i want to buy it but it costs soo much in Champion Edition ...
Is this saber a good choise for a newbie in collecting sabers ? I got an Starwars fX lightsaber allready and this ist very very nice but this has a changable blade and a custom Sound core this is just awesome

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22183

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
Darth Nexus wrote:
Is this saber a good choise for a newbie in collecting sabers ?

Seeing as how this was my first saber, I'm gonna answer yes to that question. :cheer:
Champion Fury 6W Green

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22192

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 524
Darth Nexus, I'm new to this as well. My advice is similar, that any saber style is a choice. Your decision for a certain look is paramount. What looks good to you is all that should matter! However the electronics are a different matter. I got a Champion Teir and it's great, but I could have spent alittle more and got it all. Infinite colors multiple sounds. One and done.
I understand budget is a big deal for some, but you will be happy with a Champion Teir saber !
Compared to the Hero, it's a great deal, and blows any fx saber away. Spend alittle extra you won't be dissapointed either way.

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22644

• Pegasus
  • Thank you received: 4
HI there.Nice sabre. I'm looking at getting a purple weathered Bane, I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread here but I have a question. (Sorry I'm new here)

Is there any difference in brightness between getting the 12w or the rgba? At the moment I am of the thought that getting a single colour would be brighter than getting the rgba.
"Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination."

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22647

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
Hi Miss B! Yes that is correct. RGBA are awsome for color mixing however they aren't quite as bright as a dedicated LED. Each die is 3w on RGBA so mixed colors are brighter, but will only equal the sum of dies in use for a particular color. Luminosity is really good. There are some pics of RGBA and 12w led comparison. Cant remember the post but look around and you will find them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pegasus

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22656

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
  • Judge me by my size, do you?
  • Thank you received: 22
@Ottomatix: that's not what the FAQ says (or at least, that's not how I understand it):

The other option is the RGBA, which offers several colors at 3W, mixing for 6W, up to a 12W with all of the LED die lit. The higher tier board also offers other features, such as color pulse and flash on clash, depending on your LED choice. Color pulse will be included on any LED, as it just varies the intensity of the LED brightness, and can be customized on the SD card. The flash feature is available on the RGBA and 6W/6W/12W LED setup, and can also be customized on the SD card settings.

My understanding is that the brightness goes up to 12W.

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22657

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
Faethien check out Hero Exhalted RGBA+ and you will find that it is you who are mistaken about a great many things !!

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22659

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
My bad.

That's just how I understood it though :p

Still, the brightness is not too far from the 12W+, it's actually pretty close, and as Knytiri says, it seems like a decent trade off for the customisation possibilities!

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22660

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
Faethien wrote:
My bad.

That's just how I understood it though :p

Still, the brightness is not too far from the 12W+, it's actually pretty close, and as Knytiri says, it seems like a decent trade off for the customisation possibilities!
No worries my little green friend!! I could live with a slightly dimmer blade that had all the options you get with a Hero tier. :silly:

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22663

• Pegasus
Lol thank you for you both for your quick replies.
It is exactly what I wanted to know. I am still toying with the idea to get the rgba... The price difference is a bit of a factor too. My currency is a bit weak compared to the US.
"Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination."

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22668

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Out of curiosity: where do you live?

The shipping fees might not be the most expensive part, you might have custom fees WAY HIGHER than the shipping fees :(

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22669

• Pegasus
New zealand lol essentially the other side of the world.

Edit.

In a galaxy far far away...
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Pegasus.

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22670

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Miss B wrote:
New Zealand lol essentially the other side of the world.

Well first, congrats on the Rugby World Cup! ;)

Second, yeah the other side of the world. Lived in New Caledonia for a couple of years, it is indeed the other side of the world! However, not many countries are as beautiful as Aotearoa ;)
Went to Auckland, Wellington, Feilding, Taupo, Rotorua, and most of the Lord of the Rings shooting locations in the Northern island. Loved every second of it. Wish I could move to New Zealand, just for the sights!

Finally, yeah. The shipping fees are going to be hefty, but the custom fees are likely to be heftier :/

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22671

• Pegasus
Haha thank you i didnt think any rugby fans would be here.
Wow you have traveled the country that makes you an honorary citizen I think lol. I'm from Auckland..
:P

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the paying part. But such is life when you live at the bottom end of the planet. Looking at ordering another light sided sabre for my dad in the future. Money is going to be tight.

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22672

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Well I'm actually regularly looking for a job in New Zealand, the sights over there are such beauties that it might be what it takes to take me outside :p

I still have to do the Southern Island. Really looking forward to it.

As for rugby, well I can't say I'm proud of the French team this year ... Far from it actually. But I wouldn't blame the players too much, and much much more the coach ... I'm so glad we're finally rid of him!

See you in 4 years in Japan!

What if you looked around the forum, I think I've seen another New Zealander somewhere, and have a look at ordering your sabers at the same time? That could reduce shipping & custom fees, right?

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22674

• Pegasus
Indeed it could reduce the cost big time. Lol we shall see. If I may ask what kind of job are you looking for.

I will keep my eyes peeled if ya like.

Silver Bane, Champion Tier, 12W Blood Orange 1 year 8 months ago #22675

• Faethien
  • Elite Member
Miss B wrote:
Indeed it could reduce the cost big time. Lol we shall see. If I may ask what kind of job are you looking for.

I will keep my eyes peeled if ya like.

That'd be ABSOLUTELY fantastic! I have no other superlative to express my thanks! :woohoo:

Mainly Consulting: IT (no code, I'm no developer ;) ), program management, IT infrastructure, evolutions and updates of a technical or digital solution, digital processes, process optimisation, stuff like that :)

Or anything that revolves around managing industrial or IT projects really :)
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5312
  • Latest Member: WilliamsRet
  • Total Posts: 56.4k
  • Total Topics: 4719
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119