Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Star Wars - Ahsoka

Star Wars - Ahsoka 8 months 3 days ago #68538

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Just picked this up yesterday at Target (they've got a 20% off deal on certain books right now). I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it. I'll leave some more in depth thoughts here when I'm done reading it.

And for those who would prefer the audiobook,, Ashley Eckstein is the narrator (as if there could be a more perfect choice!).
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Execute66, Borommakot

Star Wars - Ahsoka 8 months 3 days ago #68539

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
Looking forward to your review. I am behind on my Star Wars reading, but I like to know which ones to look forward to.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Star Wars - Ahsoka 8 months 2 days ago #68545

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
I got a chance to sit down and read it today. I was pretty happy with it. The YA is evidenced a bit strongly at times, but the story, characterization and additions to the lore were swell.

Star Wars - Ahsoka 7 months 1 week ago #69470

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Well its about time I got back to this; just finished reading it on Wednesday.

The TL;DR version:

I would agree with Borommakot's assessments. It is definitely an easy read, but I don't mean that in a negative way at all. I found myself so engrossed at times 100 pages would fly by without me even realizing.

If you are a fan of Ahsoka as a character then this is a must read. If you aren't, its still a fun story with insights to the thoughts and emotions of those living in (and fighting against) the newly formed Empire, and should be on your list of books to read. Though if you really dislike her (and there are apparently many who do), you don't care about the story, and are reading it purely for lore additions, then there might not be enough here for you.

Now for some more specific likes and dislikes (major plot points will be in spoiler tags, but if you want to go in completely blind, stop reading here).

The way it handled exposition was well done; instead of dumping everything that happened between the Siege of Mandalore and the beginning of the book, short flashback chapters (signified by grey pages and italicized text) every now and again gave you just enough to satiate your curiosity without bogging down the action.

Going in I thought the book would solely follow Ahoska and her thoughts (or at the most a few characters directly involved with Ahsoka's arc), but was pleasantly surprised at the time dedicated to Bail Organa (and even the short sections on Obi-Wan and Anakin). On top of great emotional moments from him (his fears that Leia will inherit Anakin's Force sensitivity, and his reoccurring nightmares about Order 66) and details on the way he went about trying to build the rebellion, we also get confirmation on why Bail didn't tell Obi-Wan about Ahsoka after finding out she was alive (which was somewhat of a plot hole after her inclusion as part of the rebellion in Rebels). His thoughts on R2 were great as well, and also show him as one of the few people keyed into how special of an astromech he is.

The basis for the main Imperial conflict of the book (using up Raada's resources for food) I thought was well chosen. It was able to show, even so early in Palpatine's reign, how ruthless the Empire's methods are in getting what they want, as well as a real issue they would have faced in maintaining their vast forces.

Now I'll admit I'm not very well read when it comes to printed SW media (canon or otherwise), so i can't say the book is unique in this, but I enjoyed seeing the SW world from a non-human; the part when Ahsoka notices Vartan's male pattern baldness and realizing she doesn't understand how hair works was amusing. Other world building bits (such as movies in the SW universe being called "Holonovels") were nice additions.

I did have a few sticking points however, one story related and having to do more with an overall canon change:

Story Related:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Overall Canon:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

Star Wars - Ahsoka 7 months 1 week ago #69471

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
I just picked this book up, and I am hoping to be able to read it while I am on vacation next week.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• FS: SaberForge Destiny (1 Posts)
    • SaberForge Destiny NBv4 w/ PX Green / Lime / Blue Tri-Rebel 3D Printed Chassis 18650 Battery 28MM...
    • Custom Phoenix (5 Posts)
    • Nice hearing from you! Fantastic Phoenix! 10/10
    • Custom LED from LEDSupply... (2 Posts)
    • I don't have much experience with Luxeon but I'm thinking these need to run @ 700ma at least the 2...
    • Custom LED from LEDSupply... (2 Posts)
    • I have a LED Luxeon Deep Red/RED/Amber, I'm trying to figure out which resistor I should be using,...
    • In-hilt recharge upgrade (2 Posts)
    • Warrior tier sabers use latching switches which are not lit, so only champion or hero have lit AV...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5265
  • Latest Member: ValeraJef1953
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4691
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 9