Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66473

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1716

Weathered Chosen 12Watt+ Medium Red

A Thin Neck Apprentice Hilt. A Thin Neck Collection remains incomplete with excluding this. It remained one that I had wanted but never got as the acquisitions of others preceding Chosen well.. er, were chosen instead. This as a Hilt I remain mostly happy with and not just because it’s a Thin Neck. A slightly smaller Emitter Cap compared to its older Brothers (or Sisters) however without compromise towards style and function. The trademark Thin Neck came black by default and this was a waste, as personally, I believe it should forever remain highlighted as the focal point. Even other weathered versions of the Thin Neck feature an alternate colour but the Black anodise seemed like a choice to mask something that actually shouldn’t. So I added some distressing, stripped the lifeless Black and spat at it to a polished shine. An alternate colour pop would have been too loud. Nice.

Some Specs and Measurements:
Quad Cree 12Watt+ Medium Red| Champion Tier| Sabercore2.0 Viridian| weathered knurled Kill Key| weathered Covertech| Black AV, Red-lit

Hilt Length (to Emitter Flute): 279mm
Hilt Length (to Emitter Cap): 272mm
Blade Socket Depth (to Flute): 26mm
Blade Socket Depth (to Emitter Cap): 20mm

Emitter Diameter (flute): 18.78mm
Emitter Diameter (flange): 40.60mm
Emitter Diameters (tiers from flange): 35.55mm; 33.02mm; 28.02mm
Thin Neck Diameter: 18.53mm
Grenade Diameter: 34.27mm
Body Diameter: 34.29mm
Pommel Diameter: 40.50mm

Weight: 387 Grams (13.6510 Ounces)
Balance (from Pommel to POI): 124mm
Balance (from Pommel to POI) 26”: 294mm
Balance for 32”/37”: N/A

One gripe I have with the assembled design (besides the now cleaned Thin neck) is the location of the LED retention screw. The Blade retention screw is 180Degrees from the Switch side (on underside of Emitter) where it consistently is. The LED retention however is 1 rib up from the AV and set in the recessed groove. It would have made sense to have this on the underside like the blade retention and Covertech.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, DK44, Neesh Kedoo

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66474

• OvrcAHst

Another minor gripe is the tightened Emitter Cap before it descends upon the final tier. A hairline gap is evident (about 1mm) which suggests the Cap wasn’t completely threaded before the glue set.

For such an exceptionally light Hilt (and short too) it makes for a great single handed weapon for quick strikes and spins. Difficult to warrant a dual handed grip however the Hilt also easily accommodates it. Ideally suited as an off-hand weapon the compliment a larger during use in the primary hand.

The Medium Red has stunning brilliance. No complaints. Love the colour, equally so to Deep Red and the Standard Red. With photo-capture difficulty, I do plan on attempting a lit spectrum from Deep to Medium to Red to Blood Orange to Amber and Yellow. For now though, it joins the ranks of its fellow Thin Neck companions and shines its own colour as a beacon of recognition and belonging.

Out at play with ‘some’ of its newly adoptive siblings.

Thank you for stopping by as another from a Collection is shared. The Thin Neck herd grows in its numbers. An updated Family shot may soon be prompted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, DK44, Kouri, Neesh Kedoo, Gnost-Dural

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66476

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 656
The Chosen is a nice saber but I never really thought about it and when the Forsaken appeared, I went for the latter. But congratulations on a fine addition to the thin neck family. (I recently ordered another thin neck by another smith, so I definitely went for the Forsaken instead).

How well does it feel when spinning compared with other SF thin necks?
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66478

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Good choice getting this one weathered! Looks great with the medium red, Congrats & Enjoy!

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66481

• OvrcAHst
Execute66 wrote:
The Chosen is a nice saber but I never really thought about it and when the Forsaken appeared, I went for the latter.
When in doubt and remaining indecisive, don't just pick one or the other, split the difference and get both! :lol: As I have indicated with Descendant. 'Oh Yes, she will be mine' (too). ;)

Plus I need to get the ASP Builds dubbed Ottommakot/Boromattix as well to round off my Total Thin Neck Herd.

This was intended to be a somewhat double feature as Forsaken was a Gotten however (it more accurately surfaced as a Forgotten rather Forsaken as it left production) as I commented over on h2's Warrior Forgotten, as quick as I was to receive it, it quickly went back to Oregon City as a Forsaken Footlong. RMA? more like RMMA (Really Makes Me Angry).
But congratulations on a fine addition to the thin neck family.
Thank you. If it weren't for the pictures above (and the other Thin Neck Reviews I've spammed), I'd be lying if I were to say it was my first Thin Neck, 'cause it isn't. :P
(I recently ordered another thin neck by another smith
:ohmy: Ooh the possibilities are many. It could be a stock build like a VV Ardent and with staying VV, possibly their second Hero Run? Unless you went the empty route for a possible install Commission pending afterwards, so KR, SH, Korbanth/TCSS redistributed from Parks? Have I forgotten any? (IIRC, you've already got Archon 3.0) :lol:
How well does it feel when spinning compared with other SF thin necks?
I'm going to write: effortless and uninhibited. The Hilts light and pretty well centrally balanced (if you refer to the measurements taken). The only weight tipping results from the V4. If you sub-in a lighter blade stock, even easier. I personally find comfort with the Boxed TNs. Redeemer is no more/less comfortable than PS and again to Exalted (and also, most recently Shadow Hunter). With Exalted having the extra length though, much like the other Boxed Hilts, they're arse-heavy. Notso much fat-arsed like Graflex but I find the arse heavier ones create a stalling counter-weight once the momentum of the swing has begun. Make sense, Willis? :unsure:

DK44 wrote:
Good choice getting this one weathered! Looks great with the medium red, Congrats & Enjoy!
Thanks Mate. :)
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by OvrcAHst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuUpberSith

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66509

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1459
BRAX Approves!

Another great saber, another great review! I agree that no thin-neck collection can be complete without this one, and the Descendant. I will have to work harder to fill mine out!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66548

• OvrcAHst
Brax wrote:
BRAX Approves!
Another great saber, another great review! I agree that no thin-neck collection can be complete without this one, and the Descendant. I will have to work harder to fill mine out!
:lol: Thank you for the Approval Brax. Mind you, if I had known a consultation was required prior to adding it to my Collection I still would have gone ahead without your approval. :lol:
No disagreement with you on Descendent.

Funny you reference Thin Neck Collection... ;)

An opportunity occurred with the Herd (mostly) all in one place at the Local drinking hole. Three Thin Necks were absent during these shots so I guess another update to this update is imminent.
An updated Family shot may soon be prompted (again).

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66551

• Burns3558
  • Elite Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 57
Forgive me if this was stated and I missed it but what method have you been using to knock off the weathering oc?

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66561

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • There is no Ignorance - There is Knowledge, There is no Fear - There is Power, I am the Heart of The Force, I am the revealing fire of Light, I am the Mystery of Darkness, *
  • Thank you received: 44
OvrcAHst wrote: Burns3558 wrote:
Forgive me if this was stated and I missed it but what method have you been using to knock off the weathering oc?

I swear I've seen this exact exchange before! Freaky!
* In Balance with Chaos and Harmony, Immortal in The Force
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Roger Redux.

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66575

• OvrcAHst
Burns3558 wrote:
There may be a more effective, time efficient method but to-date, the method used is callused fingers and greased elbows. For the larger surface areas I wrap (varying grit) sandpaper around the handle of a wooden spoon. With the smaller crevices or intricate parts of the neck where the diameter is small, similarly to aforementioned but instead of the wooden spoon, wooden chopsticks. The final smooth-over has the wooden shafts subbed with my fingers.

Roger Redux wrote:

I swear I've seen this exact exchange before! Freaky!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roger Redux

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66601

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
That is quite a gaggle of thin necks you have there! Thank you for highlighting some of the differences. I never realized the emitter cap was smaller (which seems to be a good thing here). Congrats on adding another thin-neck to your collection!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66623

• OvrcAHst
HotRod wrote:
That is quite a gaggle of thin necks you have there! Thank you for highlighting some of the differences. I never realized the emitter cap was smaller (which seems to be a good thing here). Congrats on adding another thin-neck to your collection!
Just how many Thin Necks are too many? :blush:

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66631

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1459
OvrcAHst wrote:
HotRod wrote:

Such a number does not exist. :side: :whistle:
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66636

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Brax wrote:
OvrcAHst wrote:
HotRod wrote:

Infinity + 1 maybe? Might need an understanding of quantum physics to get the calculation down.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

V2 Chosen SF|Story so far. Pt III 1 year 3 months ago #66675

• OvrcAHst
Brax wrote:
:lol: From one Thin Neck enthusiast to another, me likes the way you thinks. B)

HotRod wrote:
Infinity + 1 maybe? Might need an understanding of quantum physics to get the calculation down.
No advanced learning necessary. A simply double shoulder shrug will suffice. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRod
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Kylo Ren Lightsaber *POSS... (1 Posts)
    • So I came across this photo of Ben/Ren's saber from THAT scene, anyone thinkin SF should hop on this...
    • Look what i discovered (2 Posts)
    • Yeah chemical reaction causing heat they use hot glue for that reason
    • Kylo Ren Lightsaber *POSS... (1 Posts)
    • So I came across this photo of Ben/Ren's saber from THAT scene, anyone thinkin SF should hop on this...
    • Mystery Saber return! (2 Posts)
    • The $125 MB sabers just completed another successful run, and are sold out for the moment. The $300...
    • Saber electronics died (3 Posts)
    • Quote: On a side note, does anyone know how long I should charge the battery for before it is at full...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6262
  • Latest Member: PlebausaurusRex
  • Total Posts: 62.8k
  • Total Topics: 5280
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 29